Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our Hav pup is 10 weeks. At what age should I start flea/tick meds and heartworm preventative? Can anyone recommend an oral flea/tick preventative and heartworm preventative for a pup this young? We definitely have fleas/ticks/mosquitoes in our location. (I prefer separate meds, and nothing topical.) Not Bravecto as I’ve heard too many horror stories. We have used Heartguard+ and Simparica for past dogs of different breeds. It looks like Heartgard can be given this young but not Simparica.

·
Registered
808 Posts
We use interceptor (regular, not plus) at the recommendation of ppl here for heartworm for Jo— we started giving to her around 4 months and haven’t had any issues. A lot of people said their dogs don’t like the taste but she seems to have no problem with it. Charlie has always been on heartgard so we figured if it works, might as well stay on it.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
Our Hav pup is 10 weeks. At what age should I start flea/tick meds and heartworm preventative? Can anyone recommend an oral flea/tick preventative and heartworm preventative for a pup this young? We definitely have fleas/ticks/mosquitoes in our location. (I prefer separate meds, and nothing topical.) Not Bravecto as I’ve heard too many horror stories. We have used Heartguard+ and Simparica for past dogs of different breeds. It looks like Heartgard can be given this young but not Simparica.
I am not a fan of flea tick preventatives period especially on a small puppy, however I am just wondering why you are opposed to topicals. Have you ruled these out altogether?

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I do not ever use combo preventatives. The only heartworm med I use is Interceptor. I'm not sure why you don't want a topical flea/tick preventative. I won't use any feed-through flea/tick preventative. I do not want those chemicals inside my dog's body. That not where fleas and ticks are. (not the same with heartworm) I use Advantix II for ticks (we do not have a problem with fleas, though it works for those too) and I only use it "as needed". This means they typically get dosed twice in the spring/early summer, and perhaps, depending on the season, once again in the fall.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
Someone I know highly recommends treating the yard with beneficial nematodes. She has several dogs and says they never get a tick or flea. This could protect the humans as well and is non toxic.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
We don’t want topical because we have immunocompromised child who is all over puppy so don’t want it transferred. I’ve used them in the past with previous dogs, and they are messy.
I can completely understand this reasoning - but just a note - if you do want to consider them, they're not really messy if you move the hair out of the way to get it on the skin and do it in a few places so it's not all trying to soak in the same place AND I do it at night right before bed and then give Perry a bath in the morning so that it's no longer on his hair. If you do decide you need / want to use it that could be a strategy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh boy, when I got my pup last December everyone recommended a great vet in my area. I do a lot of research on everything for my little guy, but was also trusting my vet who is prescribing HeartGuard for heartworm prevention and Nexgard for fleas and ticks. He’s been fine but reading this now, I’m worried. Can you all let me know what the issues are and what would be better, and why? Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Oh boy, when I got my pup last December everyone recommended a great vet in my area. I do a lot of research on everything for my little guy, but was also trusting my vet who is prescribing HeartGuard for heartworm prevention and Nexgard for fleas and ticks. He’s been fine but reading this now, I’m worried. Can you all let me know what the issues are and what would be better, and why? Thank you!!
I don't think there's a problem with Heartgard, but if someone else has info I'd like to know.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
I can completely understand this reasoning - but just a note - if you do want to consider them, they're not really messy if you move the hair out of the way to get it on the skin and do it in a few places so it's not all trying to soak in the same place AND I do it at night right before bed and then give Perry a bath in the morning so that it's no longer on his hair. If you do decide you need / want to use it that could be a strategy.
Since most topicals work through the skin vs internally, some people believe that even after the initial application dries, there is some risk of exposing yourself to the pesticides for the next 30 days simply by touching the dog. For example, how can Advantix II repel ticks and fleas unless there is something on the skin? I do not know if this is true or not, however this is one reason given to me by a previous vet who favored the oral preventatives. The amount may be very small, however some folks do not want to expose their children to these chemicals.

Note I am not saying I like oral preventatives. The oral preventatives sound very scary to me and more problematic for the dog. And I wonder what is going on inside the dog with these pesticides over time even if they do not have an immediate reaction. I prefer to use nothing or treat the yard with something non toxic.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
I don't think there's a problem with Heartgard, but if someone else has info I'd like to know.
It is important to get the version of Heartgard for heartworms only. There is a version that contains other pesticides that kill other types of worms too which is completely unnecessary and increases the toxic load significantly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
There is not a problem with Heartgard that I am aware of but 4 out of my 5 dogs would vomit it up within a 1/2 hour or less.
The alternative is in the product, Interceptor which all 4 dogs did not have that issue with.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Heartgard is what we used after the Interceptor factory burned down, and we were waiting for it to be rebuilt. It is considered “the next least likely to cause problems” with this breed. But plain Interceptor, with no additives has the longest track record with the fewest bad side effect in Havanese. I didn’t have a problem with it during the time I used it, and, of course, it is better than heartworm. But I held my breath for a few days every time I dosed them. AND, I was using the every 6 weeks, only during they possibly infectious part of the year protocol.So using the very smallest amount possible.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
It is important to get the version of Heartgard for heartworms only. There is a version that contains other pesticides that kill other types of worms too which is completely unnecessary and increases the toxic load significantly.
Interceptor comes in a “plus” version too, which should also be avoided.
There is not a problem with Heartgard that I am aware of but 4 out of my 5 dogs would vomit it up within a 1/2 hour or less.
The alternative is in the product, Interceptor which all 4 dogs did not have that issue with.
That, IMO, is a “problem. That is a sign that the animal is not tolerating the chemical…

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Since most topicals work through the skin vs internally, some people believe that even after the initial application dries, there is some risk of exposing yourself to the pesticides for the next 30 days simply by touching the dog. For example, how can Advantix II repel ticks and fleas unless there is something on the skin? I do not know if this is true or not, however this is one reason given to me by a previous vet who favored the oral preventatives. The amount may be very small, however some folks do not want to expose their children to these chemicals.

Note I am not saying I like oral preventatives. The oral preventatives sound very scary to me and more problematic for the dog. And I wonder what is going on inside the dog with these pesticides over time even if they do not have an immediate reaction. I prefer to use nothing or treat the yard with something non toxic.
I agree. If l could not find a way to safely use topicals (and since I have an extremely compromised immune system, I believe it can be done) I would find a way to deal with ticks and tick born diseases without feed through toxins… even if it meant a slightly higher chance of contracting, and having to treat, certain diseases.

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
I agree. If l could not find a way to safely use topicals (and since I have an extremely compromised immune system, I believe it can be done) I would find a way to deal with ticks and tick born diseases without feed through toxins… even if it meant a slightly higher chance of contracting, and having to treat, certain diseases.
Treating the yard with beneficial nematodes sounds like a good option. I have not tried it but may try it next year. People I know swear by it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts