Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flossies may be my dogs most favorite treat.
I finally ordered some, and they came today. When I pulled them out of the box, Goldie went nuts. At first they all take one and go to their own corners. Then they play the " I only want the one you have game".

Goldie and Stogie long ago finished theirs, but Rumba, ( the visitor) still is chomping away. He is in Flossie heaven.

They only eat them down to about 3 inches then they quit and flick them in the air. They will just flip them up, go get it and do it again.

I have it set up where they are delivered every two weeks now.

Life is good when the dogs have flossies!!!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
How long does it take them to eat one? Cru is a power chewer and he just inhales most stuff, so I have to really watch him. I haven't tried flossies yet, though. It is SO funny when they want each other's toy or treat. Just like human kids!
Dawna

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guys can get one down in an hour or so now. When Goldie was a puppy, it would last days!!!!

But for that hour or two, its total bliss!!!!
Its like parents who put a cartoon on when they need to do something, I give my dogs a flossie!

·
Sherman's Mom, Carol
82 Posts
Sherman's favorite treat

I have been buying Merrick Flossies at a nearby pet store but Sherman will chew the same thing made by Red Barn or anybody. They are his favorite chewie and when he was a puppy one would last all day. Now he inhales one (for $3.50) in about 15 minutes. I don't think it's worth it, but he does. The pet store makes an imitation that costs only around $2.50. Fortunately, Sherman doesn't know the difference!

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Yes, my dogs love their Flossies! I saved one Jumbo Flossie for the airplane trip home for Piaget. That 9 hour trip needed a break for him, and the Flossie did the trick.

Mine also like to fling that last little stub, but it is usually white and slimey by then. Kinda nasty!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Haha, sounds funny to watch them. I tried them once or twice but because it took Mirabel so long my bigger dog would end up with it and it would be gone in minutes! She is a little more protective of her treats now so maybe I should try again.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Rufus loves Flossies! We bought a box of 50 from Amazon to get the discount and I have no fear he will eat them all! He gets one or two a week. It used to take wuite awhile for him to eat one, now they go rather quickly. You should try it again for Mirabel. :)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I think we have uncovered another Hav trait - flinging Flossies! Mine do that too. Kodi will also take those little bits outside and bury them.

·
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom
7,774 Posts
Sandi, flossies are beef tendon (NOT like bully sticks at all). And they don't smell really bad like bully sticks either. Every dog I have ever met LOVES them! :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Cosmo Loves his flossies and so does Ahnold .. Coso is finished in about 20 minutes depending on size and Ahnold loves to savor his ..
So..oo then we have a barking fest from Cosmo because he thinks all flossies should be shared . Ahnold nixes that idea and he says Mine so Cosmo has to get another one but - that one is not as interesting as the one Ahnold has and then we bark some more . ..
Fosssie time is never boring at our house and it definetly not a quiet time ..

·
MacGyver's Mom
503 Posts
Is there any chance of choking on Flossies? We have to watch MacGyver because he will chew things down to a size that fits comfortably in his mouth, then just clamp down and hold it there. He'll usually trade, but we have to watch him carefully.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Boo, I think you should always supervise any chewy treat, but I haven't heard of any choking yet. Why risk it, ya know?

Sandi, I agree with Carolina, there is no smell and it can last an hour for an adult, and even longer (several days) for a puppy. It's the best chew treat I've found in years. However, I recommend you only buy the Merrick brand. They are a wee bit more expensive, but all the other brands seem to add smoke flavoring (scent) or a lot of preservatives. You can often find them on eBay too.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
My girls do the game like Melissa's guys where if I put out 6 flossies, there is only one really good one! But the flossies really need to still be chewed even when wet so I don't think there is as much of a risk of choking as in rawhide. And I agree with everyone else, they are great and the girls both love them!

Amanda

·
Karen
3,067 Posts
I bought a box of 50. Brady used to scarf them down in 20 minutes. Now that I have a big box, he gets very excited when I give it to him, will play with it by throwing it around for a few minutes and then lay down with it. He no longer eats them. I now found if I pick it up and start flexing it, he will take it and eat it (well sometimes). Linda sent over a cow ear for him, and he is now in love with that. I guess too much of a good thing gets old. I will eliminate them from his diet for a few weeks and see if he gets excited by them again. Silly boy!

G

·
Do they stain carpets?

I was just researching flossies online and saw they are color/dyed. Does anyone have any problems with them staining carpets?

·
Pablo&Chuy's momma
4,286 Posts
Kristy,

no carpet stains here from the flossies. I even try to pick out the darker ones, cause I noticed the light colored flossies SMELL. Pablo is specialized in eating the flossie ON THE CARPET, even though he knows he's supposed to eat it on his blankie, he makes sure his body is on his blankie and slowly but surely moves the flossie toward the carpet, LOL. He LOVES it, but I always take it away after 30-60 min. to keep the excitement up for the next day.

·
Kubrick & Hitchcock's Mom
7,774 Posts
Kristy, are you looking at Merrick's flossies or some other kind? Because the Merrick ones are NOT dyed and those are the ones you should be buying (I don't trust the other brands). Here's from their website:

All Merrick chew treats are all natural with no preservatives, additives or artificial colors and are made from U.S.D.A sourced ingredients. The treats are only dried, not smoked.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts