Havanese Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,616 Posts
I have thought that gaining weight could be a serious problem throughout this time. DH made apple cider pork in the crockpot for Easter dinner. When we started eating, I asked, "Where are the potatoes?" (that we usually have on the side with this dish). He said he hadn't made any because we didn't need those extra calories! I guess I'm grateful ...
DD has never been home so much in her life, she has always been active and outside or at dance. The first week we were all home was rough. All of the snacks were gone by day 3. It was all of us, but DD in particular was struggling with boredom. In the middle of the night, she woke up from a nightmare and came in my room for the first time in years. Later she told me the nightmare was that she gained 50 pounds during the break from school. Can you tell she's 13? We decided as a family to come up with meal plans together and it's helping all of us. And DD is doing things she didn't have much time for, like turning a corner of the basement into a little art space, so the boredom-eating is fixing itself. I think in our family we might all gain a couple of pounds, but we're not going to worry about or focus on gaining OR losing weight, just on staying mentally healthy. My hope is we can focus on having fun, exercising to release endorphins (not specifically for weight management), and sticking to our meal plan (which includes some take out and an occasional dessert). A couple of pounds is a lot easier to resolve when all of this is over than lung damage from covid!

· Registered
3,616 Posts
Yes this guy is great! I've seen several videos that he has made. Loved them all! He should get an Oscar!
Have you seen the Holderness puppy video? It's older and not coronavirus related but it's my kids' all time favorite from their channel.

It's cute, but I don't think it beats the Husbands of Target.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
Hi everyone! This is Heather. DH created an account because I've been locked out for three days. Has anyone else had this problem? When I try to create a new password I get the message my email is wrong. If I am able pass the email problem the temporary password they give me to change my password takes me back to the email form. I tried contacting the administrators, but maybe they don't receive the emails. This is my first of two posts.😊
Oh no! I hope it's fixed soon. I haven't had a problem on this site, but I've been having a similar problem with fields on a few other sites. It doesn't recognize my email address, even though it's saved in keychain and our family password manager. Or it tries to have me make a new account, or create a new password, but then there isn't a way to complete the action. They are completely unrelated sites. I told my husband I think it's some kind of common utility web developers are using that needs an update or something. He rolled his eyes.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
The glitter comment reminded me of this video, which is one of our family's favorites

Which led me to this video. At some point in middle school I saw a video like this and it really clicked for me, but whenever I brought it up, no one had any idea what I was talking about!

They're both from one of my husband's favorite channels.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
I'm too young to remember this towel thing - I can't believe something like that existed!
I ran into them only rarely but even as a little kid I would not touch them. I have a vague memory of watching someone change the roll. It was in one of the small offices in the same business plaza as my parents' in the 80's. It was clean and dry and a laundry service brought towels for it, no idea how often. I remember it being fascinating because running into them at places like service stations, they were never white or dry, and this one was. I think they had maybe 4-5 employees, and it was an employee bathroom, so I have no idea why they even had it.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
Jackie, it is a bit more complicated than that. California voters approved daylight savings time on a year round basis in 2018 by 66%. Both Washington and Oregon approved similar legislation, but before it can be finalized, it must be approved by the U.S. House of Representatives. The House commonly approves this change with bipartisan support.

Here is where it gets tricky. In California the change must be approved by both the State Assembly and State Senate before sending it to Congress. The Assembly has approved it but the change is now buried in committee in the State Senate for two years. The problem is that a large group parents of school age children are lobbying against the change because children would be required to leave for school while it is still dark outside during the winter. They say it is a safety issue. However, Washington doesn't seem to have any significant problem in this regard, it is just a way of life there.

To further complicate things, Washington and Oregon are not going to send their proposals to the US Congress unless California joins in, They say (and rightly so) that if California is not on the same time zone as Washington and Oregon there will be a major and serious disruption of trade and commerce on the West Coast. So at this point everything is stuck in limbo because of a minority of California residents.

We could just leave everything in Pacific Standard time year round on the West Coast but then those of us in California would lose an hour of evening sunlight during the summer. That would have no chance of passing (although I would vote for that - we have a nice backyard patio with lighting)!

Nothing is ever easy.

Ricky's Popi
My kids already leave for school in the dark in the winter, in the ice and snow, too.

They passed a similar bill here in Utah. Part of it requires a certain number of western states to do the same before it goes into effect, but I don't remember how many. It must be more than 3 if Washington and Oregon both passed it.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
🤣🤣🤣🤣Thanks Popi😊😘

Below is what I would call a trifle: which is normally from the bottom layer upwards sponge soaked with sherry, jelly (am thinking you call this jello??? It’s the wobbly stuff you have at children’s parties), custard, whipped cream and then, when my aunt makes it, toasted flaked almonds on top.

View attachment 174809
Either way I couldn’t eat that adorable dog🙈. My Nan bought me a special chocolate bunny once when I was a child…and I wouldn’t eat it🤣🤣🤣😘
One of my all time favorite episodes of “Friends” is The One with the Trifle. I don’t think that’s the actual name of it, it’s a Thanksgiving episode, where Rachel makes half of a trifle and half of a shepherd’s pie. Shepherd’s pie is the worst food ever and as a kid I would sit at the table for hours refusing to eat it. And hiding it. I don’t think I’ve ever had a trifle but I remember watching the episode many times and many years ago now and thinking it would be fun to make one someday. It’s pretty and looks delicious.

· Registered
3,616 Posts
I hate fireworks! Fortunately, Willow isn't bothered by them. I'm so grateful for that as my prior corgi was terrified. I really worry about forest fires as we live in a forest and with the extreme heat we just had it is bone dry around here. Plus there is a fireworks stand just down the road. I hope people won't be idiots. I'm afraid though that there are lots of idiots out there though. By the way ........ happy 4th of July!
They banned personal fireworks in a couple cities here this year because of the fires and how dry it is. I couldn’t believe it, there were people all worked up about it! Short memory. Most cities are still doing a public display, and they are usually well controlled and more fun to watch anyway. My first 4th in Utah it was 100 degrees and at 9pm there was the coolest rainstorm. I hadn’t ever experienced that before and I thought it was amazing. Hoping for a nice summer rain in your area and mine soon!

· Registered
3,616 Posts
I realized I hadn’t shared this thread with DS in a while when he made a joke about Sundance waiting outside the bathroom last night. We went back through the last few months and he really enjoyed it, too. Thanks for posting so much funny content, ShamaPapa!

· Registered
3,616 Posts
I couldn’t figure out the first one either. I thought it was “you” but the grammar didn’t make sense, and then I wondered if that was the point and I was missing something else. I finally asked DH and he explained the clown, and I got it! Then he said, “like the song?” I didn’t catch that part. Apparently I am really bad with pop culture references.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts