Havanese Forum banner

521 - 540 of 586 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I remember those old phones! I also remember having a party line! That is really ancient history!
I remember party lines. I don't remember having one at home with my parents, but I remember my grandma had one. Each individual line had a special ring so you knew who it would be for and could answer if it was for you (or if you wanted to evesdrop on someone!)

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,881 Posts
I remember party lines. I don't remember having one at home with my parents, but I remember my grandma had one. Each individual line had a special ring so you knew who it would be for and could answer if it was for you (or if you wanted to evesdrop on someone!)
We had one growing up in my parent's home. I do not remember anything about special rings. I only recall picking up the phone to make a call and hearing people talking so you had to wait until they were done!

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
We had one growing up in my parent's home. I do not remember anything about special rings. I only recall picking up the phone to make a call and hearing people talking so you had to wait until they were done!
I'm pretty sure I'm remembering special rings. It's been so long ago! Seems to me is was a certain number of rings or something like that.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
Now I am really going to date myself! We had a party line at my parents house. As I recall, there was somewhere between 3 and 5 parties on one line. IN THE BEGINNING, each party had a special ring consisting of long and short rings (I don't recall what ours was). LATER with improved technology, our phone only rang when a call was specifically for us, BUT you could pick up the receiver at any time and listen to other conversations if the line was busy. I believe that the phone protocols did vary from area to area depending on population.

now you know the rest of the story (and my age!).

Ricky's Popi

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I'm kind of dating myself too I guess! I do remember that my grandma had different rings on her phone. I can also remember listening on other conversations (shame on me!). I don't think my parents had a party line. I don't remember one. I can remember mom explaining my grandma's though. She had a really old fashion phone. The kind you see in old movies with the crank on the side.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #527 (Edited)
Playing more of the "do you remember" game, we lived in a very rural, small farming community in the San Joaquin Valley as a child. I lived there until I was 19 and then went away to university in the San Francisco area. I worked in the fields during the summer throughout high school to earn money to pay for my education when I went away. My parents believed that if I wanted to be "educated" I should pay for it myself. The area I grew up in was known as the "Fruit Basket of the World"; the sign was right there on highway 99, the main artery through the Valley at that time and I was the subject of homophobic taunts from the city slickers at the university as a result even though they knew I had a girlfriend (Momi).

We always had indoor plumbing. I remember the first time we traveled by car to visit my grandparents in Eastern Kansas when I was 5 y.o. SHOCK! my grandparents had no telephone or indoor plumbing! They had an outhouse about 30 feet from the front door with a Sears or Monkie Wards catalog inside (youngsters on this list have no idea what I'm talking about). At the end of the stairwell to the second floor and bedrooms up there was a closet with a chamber pot inside for use at night.

My grandfather was a wheat farmer. He plowed the fields with a team of horses pulling a plow that he walked behind while holding the reins. They had a farm mongrel dog named PUDGY that lived outdoors and was fed table scraps. I remember the first time I saw a chicken being butchered for Sunday dinner - head was cut off with a sharp knife and then allowed to run around the yard flapping its wings wildly, spewing blood everywhere. And then the chicken was gutted and plucked. That was the stuff of immediate nightmares and trauma for years to come. I would never eat chicken until sometime in my 20's. Both of my parents grew up in that area and that's where they met.

Those were the days!

Ricky's Popi

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I remember in elementary school picking up the phone and hearing other conversations. Then in high school my parents got me my own princess phone. I can't remember if it was push buttons or rotary. 😊
My grandmother was from Topeka, Kansas Popi. My grandparents moved to San Francisco when My mom was 2. Anyway... I do remember the stories of the outhouse, the Sears Roebuck catalog and the chamber pot. 🤣 She also told me about chickens being butchered for dinner and running around the yard.😮 Then there were the tornados and the family having to hide in the basement. Running through the corn fields and getting lost. I loved all those stories.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
P I remember the first time I saw a chicken being butchered for Sunday dinner - head was cut off with a sharp knife and then allowed to run around the yard flapping its wings wildly, spewing blood everywhere. And then the chicken was gutted and plucked. That was the stuff of immediate nightmares and trauma for years to come. I would never eat chicken until sometime in my 20's. Both of my parents grew up in that area and that's where they met.

Those were the days!

Ricky's Popi
My aunt killed chickens by holding them by the necks and than swinging them around until the heads were wrung off. Ugh!

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts

·
Arf! Arf!
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #539
ShamaPapa thought this was funny.
"Honey you look great in whatever you wear" is my answer and that's what I'm sticking with!

I one point in my life, I was providing orientation for high school foreign exchange students coming to the US. When asked one of those no win questions, for instance, if they like the food that was just served in their household, we advised them to say, "well it is interesting" even when they hated it.

Ricky's Popi

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
521 - 540 of 586 Posts