Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you do that when the puppy is around 6 months old?is it really necessary for the puppy to wear that ridiculously looking lamp shade cover thingy?I've seen dogs with them on and they all have looked miserable and so uncomfortable.Anyway around that?
Thanks
Dot

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Your vet and breeder will know and suggest the proper age for neutering/spay.The "lampshade"can be very important.It is really for a short time.Some dogs are "lickers"and they will lick that area and re-open the wound/remove stitches etc.It is aweful if that happens.Quincy wore his cone for almost 2 weeks,but not because of his neuter,but because he had his dew claws removed at the same time and wouldn't quit licking them.He was my "cone head" for awhile,but he got so good at wearing it,that he started using it as scoop!He would scoop up dog food and eat by waiting with his mouth open.It was cute really......

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Logan just got his collar off - he had to wear it 6 days after his surgery - after the first day, he was used to it!! I took it off of him to eat & run outside & the minute he started licking again. Its not that bad, they really get used to it! And he has healed great.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Just an FYI
Cosmo did fine he did not need a collar . Ahnold had the itchies and lickies so he had to wear a collar ..
There are other collars available . He had the lampshade but he kept bumping into the walls and he was frustrated . So was his Mommy and Daddy and his buddy Cosmo .
My husband found a collar at Petco - it was blue - you blow it up like an inner tube and it is like a bumper . It worked really well and he wore it for almost 10days .. He did not mind it at all and I think there at times he misses it when Cosmo takes a swipe at him .
The only drawback is the cost 25.00 . There is a collar that I saw on Sit Stay .com and it is less and it looks like it may work well ..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just picked up Derian from the vet this morning after being neutered yesterday. He came home without having to wear the collar. I would assume some vets swear by the collar after surgery and others do not.

He was so excited to see me and my 14 year old boy who went with me to pick him up this morning. He acts like he never had surgery. Soon as we got him home he was wanting to play with his favorite rubber chicken toy.:) First he had to run around and had to give the wife and 17 year old daughter lot's of licks and kisses.:D

First romp in the yard after being neutered, He had to show the wife he is still a little man by trotting over to one of her rose bushes and gently cocking his little leg and watering the roses.:D

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
JUST AN FYI - I RECOMMEND TO OTHERS..... !! When you get your pup "fixed" please be sure to have the vet thoroughly check their mouth. I know there has been talk of baby teeth not coming out after the adult ones come in. Usually they want to remove them while the pup is under anesthesia. Logan just came back from the vets, having to have two teeth removed, luckily they were loose enough that they could just be pulled, but he was neutered 3 weeks ago, so he might have had to go under again - we just lucked out. It would not have worked for us, cause Logan did not start losing his baby teeth until about 1 1/2 weeks ago but in most cases I am told that it ususally happens around the time that they are fixed. So just have your vets check their mouths so you can avoid extra surgery and cost$$$$
Laurie

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad to hear that Derian is doing so well. How about some new pics of him?
Been trying to get some new photos of him, But my younger brother has my good digital camera as he wanted to take some photos as he drives over the road for a trucking company who happens to have just left Dallas, Tx. wed. for Allentown, Pa. Have no idea when I am going to get my camera back as he has been gone on the road for a little over two months. Winter time slowdown of freight about starved the truckers to death.:eek:

Got one of those cheap fixed lens canon digitals and everytime I go to shoot him, he will not sit still, so all I get is a blur LOL. The daughter held him today and was able to get a zoom shot of his face which came out ok for a cheap camera. I'll post that photo soon as she crops it to size.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My vet recoomended that we wait until all the new teeth were in before we neuter . After 6 months we were told for exactly this reason -retained teeth . Cosmo did have a retained tooth but it fell out on its own .
Our first dog was fine - all teeth fell out on their own .. It is an individual thing but you are right - Good to have their teeth checked ..
ASta had his teeth in reverse ..

·
Registered
47 Posts
My vet recoomended that we wait until all the new teeth were in before we neuter . After 6 months we were told for exactly this reason -retained teeth . Cosmo did have a retained tooth but it fell out on its own .
Our first dog was fine - all teeth fell out on their own .. It is an individual thing but you are right - Good to have their teeth checked ..
ASta had his teeth in reverse ..
The vet had called me to inform me Derian had three baby teeth that was ready to come out before they became a problem and wanted to get my approval about going ahead and pulling those while he had him out for neutering, so he ended up taking care of that at the same time with no extra charge.

He didn't have to wear the collar and it is like he never had surgery. He doesn't seem to want lick at the stitch either. He did not get the dissolving stitch, so I have to bring him within 7-10 days to get the single stitch removed.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I waited until Asta was a year before I neutered him . I do not recommend waiting this long but it just worked out that way .. He did so well you would never know he had surgery he was fine - no collar no lickies nothing . He just bounced out the door - he was never restricted either ..
The only thing was he certainly was aware that something was missing and he did not hesitate to show me what had happened . Look Mom -
He never liked the vet after that - The vet here in the desert was fine no problem but the vet in Marin he wanted to leave as soon as we were through the door ..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just got Ozzy fized last Thursday and he didn't have a collar. All of his stiched are internal so he didn't need it. He was running around like normal the next day. I had to slow him down so he didn't hurt himself. .

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Austin's big day is tomorrow - Neuter and baby teeth.... :( :puke:

So hard to finally make that decision for such a cute "stud" he would help make beautiful babies!!! but the pocketbook talks and $250 for anesthesia for just teeth is a bit too high tio pay twice!!!

Send good thoughts!!!:drama:

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Best wishes Austin

Good luck Austin!! :eek:
Get well soon :crutch:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
too funny! we call that a ONESY!

Or am I aginfg myself??? :pound: