Havanese Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With 4 dogs instead of 3! That meant reconfiguring the crates in the trailer… we COULD have just added a 4th big crate, but honestly, the only one who NEEDS a bigger crate is Kodi. And simply by adding a 4th crate, we were losing some space we use for putting things down when we enter the trailer. So we decided to downgrade Pixel to a smaller one, and have two small ones. One for her and Ducky, and leave two larger ones below for Panda and Kodi.

Since I was rearranging and buying new crates ANYWAY, I decided it was time to upgrade the “looks” too. We never really had crate pads that properly fit the big crates, and we had just thrown mis-matched blankets over them as covers. Now everyone has lovely soft crate pads that FIT, and matchy-matchy covers! Alas, I couldn’t find covers that were the same for both the large and small crates, but I think the black and grey still look nice together!

Everything is ratchet strapped to the floor and zip-tied together, so nothing can move as we travel.

And as luck would have it, even though Ruffland had said they were back ordered for several months, Ducky’s Ruffland kennel ALSO arrived today! I had thought he was going to have to ride in a less-safe vari-kennel for this trip, but nope! His new crate will be stacked with the other three in the back seat of the pick-up truck… just about as safe as you can get.

This is my first crate with them since they have changed to the new composite doors, and I must say, I am VERY impressed! It is WAY tighter than the old metal door, feels VERY secure, and also doesn’t rattle AT ALL. (A bit of an annoyance with the old metal doors) I’m going to look into the cost of replacing the door of my other three with the composite type. (They fit… I already tried it!). I also got this crate drilled with a LOT more holes… something I wish I’d done with my older ones. They are VERY safe, but they do run hot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
With 4 dogs instead of 3! That meant reconfiguring the crates in the trailer… we COULD have just added a 4th big crate, but honestly, the only one who NEEDS a bigger crate is Kodi. And simply by adding a 4th crate, we were losing some space we use for putting things down when we enter the trailer. So we decided to downgrade Pixel to a smaller one, and have two small ones. One for her and Ducky, and leave two larger ones below for Panda and Kodi.

Since I was rearranging and buying new crates ANYWAY, I decided it was time to upgrade the “looks” too. We never really had crate pads that properly fit the big crates, and we had just thrown mis-matched blankets over them as covers. Now everyone has lovely soft crate pads that FIT, and matchy-matchy covers! Alas, I couldn’t find covers that were the same for both the large and small crates, but I think the black and grey still look nice together!

View attachment 175630

Everything is ratchet strapped to the floor and zip-tied together, so nothing can move as we travel.

View attachment 175631

And as luck would have it, even though Ruffland had said they were back ordered for several months, Ducky’s Ruffland kennel ALSO arrived today! I had thought he was going to have to ride in a less-safe vari-kennel for this trip, but nope! His new crate will be stacked with the other three in the back seat of the pick-up truck… just about as safe as you can get.

This is my first crate with them since they have changed to the new composite doors, and I must say, I am VERY impressed! It is WAY tighter than the old metal door, feels VERY secure, and also doesn’t rattle AT ALL. (A bit of an annoyance with the old metal doors) I’m going to look into the cost of replacing the door of my other three with the composite type. (They fit… I already tried it!). I also got this crate drilled with a LOT more holes… something I wish I’d done with my older ones. They are VERY safe, but they do run hot.

View attachment 175632
Looks like a wonderful setup!! Hope you enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Awww it all looks fantastic! You are all ready to hit the road! Thanks for the pic and endorsement of the Ruffland’s updates. I never ordered it because I was a bit woo-ed by the Sherpa Forma, which I ordered instead (Amazon and Chewy had the x-lg one on sale for like $70!) but you never know….

Well, you know I am envious of your camper trip, seeing as hubby and I don’t see eye to eye on owning one. Did you know you can do timeshares with campers? Not quite the same but well, sometimes the art of compromise is the key to success. 20 yrs of marriage (celebrating on 9/22 🥳) supports that theory! 😛

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Oh man I'm envious! My husband can't get around very well anymore so camping is out for us. We sold the RV last year. I miss it! I hope you have a great time. Willow loved to go camping and walk all around with all the new smells. I know little Ducky is in for a treat! Have fun!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awww it all looks fantastic! You are all ready to hit the road! Thanks for the pic and endorsement of the Ruffland’s updates. I never ordered it because I was a bit woo-ed by the Sherpa Forma, which I ordered instead (Amazon and Chewy had the x-lg one on sale for like $70!) but you never know….
I think that is a GREAT choice for someone with only onedoog! It's only crazy people with MULTIPLE dogs, who need to stack them up that need all the crates we do! LOL!

Well, you know I am envious of your camper trip, seeing as hubby and I don’t see eye to eye on owning one. Did you know you can do timeshares with campers? Not quite the same but well, sometimes the art of compromise is the key to success. 20 yrs of marriage (celebrating on 9/22 🥳) supports that theory! 😛
I knew you could rent them, didn't know you could do time shares with them. But that sounds like a wonderful option too! Especially when you are in the "see if you like it" stage! And believe me, we just had our 40th, (in the MIDDLE of sending PUPPIES home!!! :oops::eek:) so I FOR SURE understand the art of compromise! ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
This setup is so comfortable. Karen, what size is your iCrate for Ducky?
Thank you ♥

View attachment 175630

View attachment 175631

View attachment 175632

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This setup is so comfortable. Karen, what size is your iCrate for Ducky?
Thank you ♥
The 22x13x16” size is fine for the 10-12 lb Havanese, which is what Pixel is, and Ducky will be. (It fits Panda fine too, but we wanted the bottom two to be the same size, and Kodi needs a bigger one, both because of his size and his age. At 11 1/2”, 17 lbs, the bottom, 19x30x21 crates are almost ridiculously large. But our idea, originally, was that we wanted them to have LOTS of room, in case we wanted to leave them in the trailer if we went off on a half day trip without them.

The fact of the matter is, that in the over 12 years (and two trailers!) we’ve had Kodi, we have NEVER done that! LOL! We might crate them and go out to dinner, but that’s about it. But at this point, it’s cheaper to keep the crates we have than to buy smaller ones, and I also think that at his age, and with his chronic injury issue, having plenty of room to move around is good for him. (His night crate at home is over-sized too)

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh wow, just reading your post… 40 yrs anniversary! That’s amazing! Congrats!
Thanks! And I know I still owe you photos! Yesterday got busy! I’ll try today!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you Karen. We will be getting Cookie when she’s is 4 months. I’m trying to decide between the 22 and 24 Midwest crate. Which would you suggest. She’s quite a little thing so don’t want the crate to be too big and intimidating.
Woow!! 40 years!! That’s just wonderful! Congratulations! Roy and I celebrate 12 years together this Saturday. ♥💜
The 22x13x16” size is fine for the 10-12 lb Havanese, which is what Pixel is, and Ducky will be. (It fits Panda fine too, but we wanted the bottom two to be the same size, and Kodi needs a bigger one, both because of his size and his age. At 11 1/2”, 17 lbs, the bottom, 19x30x21 crates are almost ridiculously large. But our idea, originally, was that we wanted them to have LOTS of room, in case we wanted to leave them in the trailer if we went off on a half day trip without them.

The fact of the matter is, that in the over 12 years (and two trailers!) we’ve had Kodi, we have NEVER done that! LOL! We might crate them and go out to dinner, but that’s about it. But at this point, it’s cheaper to keep the crates we have than to buy smaller ones, and I also think that at his age, and with his chronic injury issue, having plenty of room to move around is good for him. (His night crate at home is over-sized too)

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Karen. We will be getting Cookie when she’s is 4 months. I’m trying to decide between the 22 and 24 Midwest crate. Which would you suggest. She’s quite a little thing so don’t want the crate to be too big and intimidating.
Woow!! 40 years!! That’s just wonderful! Congratulations! Roy and I celebrate 12 years together this Saturday. ♥💜
At 4 months old, she won’t be a tiny infant puppy any more, snd I would HOPE that her breeder would have her well started on both potty training and crate training. We do not use wire crates in the house, though I know some people do. In the house, we prefer the cosier plastic crates for young puppies, and when they are safely past all danger of crate chewing, (so WELL over a year!) they graduate to furniture style composite (fake wood) crates. The plastic crates we use are Petmate varikennels, although there are other, similar, brands:

When they are old enough, we upgrade them to these, which come in off-white and dark brown. They look like wood until you inspect them closely, but wipe clean with a wet cloth and are dead easy to assemble:

we have three of these, side by side in the dining room that double as a plant shelf under the window.

Property Table Plant Blue Houseplant

And then we have a fourth one this size for Pixel in our bedroom, and a BIG one that is similar, but has a door in the long side for Kodi. Eventually, Ducky will be upgraded into this type in the bedroom too, but for now, he has a Varikennel on top of Kodi’s crate.

Property Cabinetry Shelving Wood Interior design

The reason Ducky’s crate is wrapped in a blanket is that it’s right in front of the window, and even in the summer, here in New England, the nights are often cool with the windows open!

Panda sleeps in the bed with us, and that’s a LONG story! LOL!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you Karen for detailed explanation and pictures.
Yes, our breeder is wonderful and Cookie sleeps in a crate and has also been great with potty training.
At 4 months old, she won’t be a tiny infant puppy any more, snd I would HOPE that her breeder would have her well started on both potty training and crate training. We do not use wire crates in the house, though I know some people do. In the house, we prefer the cosier plastic crates for young puppies, and when they are safely past all danger of crate chewing, (so WELL over a year!) they graduate to furniture style composite (fake wood) crates. The plastic crates we use are Petmate varikennels, although there are other, similar, brands:

When they are old enough, we upgrade them to these, which come in off-white and dark brown. They look like wood until you inspect them closely, but wipe clean with a wet cloth and are dead easy to assemble:

we have three of these, side by side in the dining room that double as a plant shelf under the window.

View attachment 175690

And then we have a fourth one this size for Pixel in our bedroom, and a BIG one that is similar, but has a door in the long side for Kodi. Eventually, Ducky will be upgraded into this type in the bedroom too, but for now, he has a Varikennel on top of Kodi’s crate.

View attachment 175692

The reason Ducky’s crate is wrapped in a blanket is that it’s right in front of the window, and even in the summer, here in New England, the nights are often cool with the windows open!

Panda sleeps in the bed with us, and that’s a LONG story! LOL!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts