Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

We have had our 3 and a half month old hav for 3 weeks now and it has been exhausting!!

Ever since we got him, he had been having diarrhea. The breeder said that it could be because of a new environment, stress, etc. A week after we got him, we took him to the vet for his second shot of vaccine and co-incidentally, earlier that morning, he had a few traces of blood in his last drops of poop (I know, tmi). He got his physical and everything was normal and the vet told us what the breeder had - new environment, new food, etc. She gave us probiotics, a dewormer and a couple of tins of medi-cal (gastro). 2 weeks later and the diarrhea continued. Took him to the vet yesterday with his stool and he got diagnosed with Giardia.

He is on Flagyl twice a day for 10 days. Does anyone have any tips on dealing with this? I am really worried from reading what I have (hard to get rid of, adverse effects of flagyl, and so on). Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am so sorry about your troubles. I have no advice to give ( I am new to this myself ), but it seems like you are doing the right things. I am sure that with the meds your puppy is feeling better soon. It must be exhausting to clean up after a puppy with diarrhea. I hope he feels better soon.
Silvia

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It is really hard when we have a new puppy and it is sick. It makes us all feel bad and some how responsible...even when it is out of our control. Always with a new puppy no matter how much you love and trust your breeder, you need to go to your vet. This will give you piece of mind and help establish a baseline for the future. You go even when your dog is healthy for that first visit. It looks like you have done the right thing your pup should recover soon. Pictures we love pictures here and names!!!!! Looking forward to puppy pictures soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Our pup Butterscotch had Giardia and we gave her Flaygyl and we didn't see any after effects at all. The only problem is it sometimes can take a few doses to get over with. I have heard it is very common with puppys and there is no need to worry. Hope your baby is all well in a few days!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
:welcome: Hope your little guy is better soon. I don't have any experience with this but it is something that happens. I'm sure you're ready for sooner instead of later since diarrhea is not fun to deal with.

Yes, we do love pictures on this forum and we'd love to see your puppy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just wanted to let you know my dog Ella had this as a puppy. It is very common in puppies. She was pooping constantly. The antibiotics finally kicked in (after a few days), and housebreaking was much easier. Hang in there!!!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I logged off and then had 2nd thoughts puppies with these problems are on here lately. Even though this is not a Havanese wed site 'pien ji shih tzu' has a statement about this and because somehow it is comforting to read things from other sources. I suggest you look at Charlee's. Hope it gives you some comfort.

·
Miko and Milo
108 Posts
Milo was a rescue puppy, and he was diagnosed with the same thing when we got him. After a few doses of medicine from the vet, he was just fine. Hope this goes smoothly for you and your puppy!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
MiG had this when I first took him home. It is quite depressing to clean up runny poop every 10 minutes. I promise it will go away eventually. Make sure your are meticulously clean-that really helps. I disinfected the floor of his ex pen area every day for example. Chicken and rice will help the bowels to heal faster (it helped him). Make sure the puppy is drinking enough. No problems since then-his poops are perfect. Hang in there, I know your pain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the replies. It makes me feel so much better knowing that it is common and many people experience this with their puppies and have it end with successful results.

This is our first puppy and we have fallen head over heels! It's like having a human baby...I'm assuming.

It is very hard to clean the mess when he goes. To make things worse, we have carpet so the biceps are getting a constant workout with the multiple scrubbings.

His name is Simba and I have attached a few pictures below. Hopefully they can be seen :)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He is incredibly lucky he has got the looks on his side otherwise he would NEVER get away with some of the things that he does!
It's hilarous how he refuses to make eye contact when I show him the mess that he has made.

3,646 Posts
Welcome, Simba and Simba's Mom/Dad(?)! What a sweet face. Hope the diarrhea issue is soon a distant memory. :) And, you're right, I thought it felt like bringing home a new human infant as well. There were some days at first that were a bit overwhelming, but you soon get into it and I wouldn't trade my boy for anything! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mom :) My name is Fazilla.

He is a handful!! And has a full time job making a mess. What's with the shredding??

Simba pooped once today and it seemed a little bit more formed than usual. I'm still waiting for his second poop of the day.

I have a question. I know that with Giardia, I am supposed to constantly disinfectant the soiled area. He has a particular spot that he likes to go to outside (most of the time) to do his business. It's -40 degrees Celcius here (Canada) so do I still disinfect the area?? I do pick up his poop but I'm just hoping that the parasite cannot live in this freezing temperature so I dont have to spend any more time outside than needed. Apparently Calgary is the second coldest place in world today besides South Pole.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
One of the very smart forum members suggested to turn over a flower pot in the spot where the puppy goes (mark the spot), so you know where it is. Yes, that stuff DOES survive freezing temps! It's evil. Like I said though, don't despair because it will go away and you probably won't have to deal with it again. Just keep your sanity for now.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My Frannie had a case of Giardia and she was treated. Since I have two other dogs and they could get it I treated my yard.

I would watch where Frannie would go-cleaned it up immediately then poured straight bleach on the area and covered it with a flower pot (upside down of course) left it covered for 24 hrs-my yard looked crazy for a few day but neither one of my other dogs came down with it.

Good Luck
Pat (humom to)
Miss Paige
Mr Roman
Ms Frannie (my true angel girl)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts