Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am a first time Puppy Mom and Gizmo is being Spayed this Wednesday (I'm more nervous then she is :redface:) She is a little over 7 months old and the vet will be keeping her for 2 nights.

Does anyone have any advice for when she comes home that would make her recovery easier? or anything I should expect?

I heard people mention onsies. After the 2 nights at the vet should she wear one of those?

·
Allison, owned by Sydney
170 Posts
My vet's usual practice is to have them stay over the night before (so that they are comfortable with the environment by the time of the operation) and the night after (so they can continue to treat with pain meds and monitor a bit longer).

I trust my vet so I went along with their proposed plan. Ultimately, everything was fine, but Sydney ended up being there for three nights because on the day her spay was scheduled, the vet had to do an emergency surgery that took all day, and she got bumped to the next day. When she came home she was very clingy, which I think had everything to do with being away for three nights and very little to do with the actual surgery.

As I said, everything was fine in the end, but if I had it to do over, I definitely would not leave her the night before, and probably didn't need to leave her the night after even.

Anyway, just my two cents on that issue.

I left her cone on because she was quite actively trying to lick her incision, but I also used a baby t-shirt (same idea as the onesie) to cover the incision so she wouldn't catch a stitch when scratching with her back legs.
Quite honestly I found that the biggest challenge was keeping her calm for a week until her stitches were removed - she bounced back remarkably quickly.

It will almost certainly be harder on you than it will be on her, so think big picture and it will be done before you know it!

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
We totally understand your being nervous. Surgery is surgery no matter how common. If this is your first spay and you trust your vet, follow his instruction and normal procedures. Many of us deliver and bring our girls home the same day of surgery but it can be very stressful on the owner. Your baby is going to sleep most of the time, complications are rare. Some use the blow up neck tube, some the cone and some the baby oneies. I’ve never used any of them and never had a problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2 night stay is the Vet's policy. I asked if I could take her home earlier and they said they want to keep her the full 2 nights but if she is showing signs of being disstressed (not eating, or hurting herself in any way) they would call and send her home.

There are a lot of vet's around me that send home next day or same day, but this is the vet she always goes to and the vet performing the surgery is always very gentle with her so I don't want to take her to someone we don't know. :redface:

I think the hardest part will be keeping her still for a while. She likes to run around a lot :(

·
Allison, owned by Sydney
170 Posts
The 2 night stay is the Vet's policy. I asked if I could take her home earlier and they said they want to keep her the full 2 nights but if she is showing signs of being disstressed (not eating, or hurting herself in any way) they would call and send her home.

There are a lot of vet's around me that send home next day or same day, but this is the vet she always goes to and the vet performing the surgery is always very gentle with her so I don't want to take her to someone we don't know. :redface:

I think the hardest part will be keeping her still for a while. She likes to run around a lot :(
Being comfortable with the vet is so important - absolutely sounds like you are making the best decision here and I am sure she will do great. :) (For the record, I was extremely nervous about the whole thing too, and the day's delay didn't help matters, but it is a distant memory now!)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gizmo started to well...make friends with her bed the last few days. I didn't see it until yesterday but my parents have noticed it when they were watching her the last few times. I haven't noticed any blood except a little spot on the rug a few days ago (which I assumed was from teething). Is she in heat? She is 7 1/2 months. I am suppose to get her spayed tomorrow and the vet said it was fine either way, but I saw on another forum they were told to wait till 5 weeks after.

Will she be okay if I go through with the spaying tomorrow?

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Awww... that's hard on us, I know. Gizmo will do fine and as others have said, it's important that you feel comfortable with your vet and his/her instructions. I called later the day of my dogs' surgeries and got an update. It helps! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amanda called yesterday from the hospital to introduce herself and said she would call when the surgery was over. Today they said if I don't hear anything by 3:00 PM I should call for an update...so on pins and needles till then :(

I can call tomorrow to come see her..but the lady said usually it just upsets them when Mommy leaves them again and since it is only 2 days it's probably better to wait till Friday.

Thank you everyone for caring and I will deff post updates.

P.S. - Sorry for being a big baby about this...first dog though :)

3,646 Posts
Good thoughts being sent your way that Gizmo comes through her procedure uneventfully. I was a nervous wreck too. I got lots done the morning after I took Augie in, trying to keep busy, until that phone call from the vet that it was over and everything OK. What a relief when it is over and you don't have it looming in the future.

By the way, Gizmo is adorable - love her face markings!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!

She is such a sweetie :)
Last night she was pulling apart a cardboard box in our hallway (she is not suppose to do) and I coughed a few times in the kitchen, she came bolting in to see if I was okay and give me a few kisses (before going back to her box :p)

I thought that was the cutest thing ever :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I was a wreak when my boys went in for their surgery. I am sure things will all be fine in the end. It's harder on us.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called and asked about her yesterday, apparently everytime they pass her she wags her tale and rolls on her back for a tummy rub. That's my little Gizmo! :) Sounds like she is doing really well there!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Yaaaaaaay!! :)

·
Oliver's Mom
2 Posts
TGIF...and I bet Gizmo is waiting for her mama! I'm sure the vet will give you good directions and she will do great~

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Is she home? Hope all went well

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She is and she is doing good :)
She started to run a little but is now so exhausted she is sleeping quietly in her crate/bed.
It's so good to have her home!

Thanks everyone :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts