Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Ali
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Gooby at 5 months! My big boy is 5 months and around 8lbs. He has started to get a bit more vocal when he hears a knock on our door. My husband always wanted a guard dog and sounds like he may actually get one now!! :p During walks, he is a very good boy and is starting to ignore distractions like cars driving by. He is never phased when other dogs are barking at him, just keeps moving along his own merry way. He adores the dog park when we are in there alone, eager to show his skills. It's nice to see that he always looks to me when he feels he's far away and rushes back. I let him walk ahead of me off leash and he will always wait for me to catch up and makes me melt lol.

I included a pic of his coat after brushing. He's quite light underneath. You can also see how it's wavy near the root, can anyone explain why? Do I need to be line brushing him more often?

Attachments

Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
Oh goody, we have an update on Goobs! I think everyone on HF takes ownership of these puppies especially those where we get regular updates! We are just as proud of him as you are.

It looks like Goobs is going to be a biggun at already 8 pounds. I love his "lion's mane" chest. Gooby wouldn't be 100% Havanese if he DIDN'T bark when someone is at the door. I don't think it is fear barking, I think it is more like "YIPPEE, we got company" bark. ;)

He may be starting to "blow coat." This is the time Havanese puppies transition from their puppy coat to adult coat. Those of us who have been through it, call it "six months of living hell-o." He is kind of young to start but who knows. Enjoy these puppy days because they will end far too soon.

Keep posting updates at least monthly........WITH PHOTOS!

Metrowest, MA
Gooby at 5 months! My big boy is 5 months and around 8lbs. He has started to get a bit more vocal when he hears a knock on our door. My husband always wanted a guard dog and sounds like he may actually get one now!! :p During walks, he is a very good boy and is starting to ignore distractions like cars driving by. He is never phased when other dogs are barking at him, just keeps moving along his own merry way. He adores the dog park when we are in there alone, eager to show his skills. It's nice to see that he always looks to me when he feels he's far away and rushes back. I let him walk ahead of me off leash and he will always wait for me to catch up and makes me melt lol.

I included a pic of his coat after brushing. He's quite light underneath. You can also see how it's wavy near the root, can anyone explain why? Do I need to be line brushing him more often?
He is such a doll! Glad to hear he's doing so well! I've been intrigued by his color. What did his breeder say his color was. He looks like he MIGHT be a REAL brindle. (a lot of people use that term for dogs that aren't really brindle) Do you know if he had sort of :"tiger stripes" as a baby?

As far as the waves, that is probably the START of his adult coat... and it is perfectly normal and absolutely correct. Havanese coats are SUPPOSED to be wavy. Often you can't see it in dogs that are freshly prepared for the show ring, because when you blow dry them, the waves get pulled out temporarily. But they are bak by the next day!

Reactions: LeleRF

Ali
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I absolutely will keep posting monthly! His breeder said his adult weight should be 11 and I just can't believe that.. luckily the vet confirmed he is not overweight so I shouldn't be worried haha

Registered

Gooby is such a cutie pie!

Metrowest, MA
Gooby's progress is very much owed to this forum! She said he would lighten to a gray. Here's a pic of his coat when he was 3 weeks old, I do see tiger stripes!
Yes! He is a 鈥渞eal鈥 brindle! And like sables, in Havanese, they most often do lighten. But it鈥檚 fun to see, and he is SUCH a pretty color!

Ali
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi everyone! It's been a while since Gooby's last post as we've moved from NY to TX in May! After packing everything with the movers, we road tripped down to Houston over the course of 3 days and have finally settled in. Gooby enjoyed the road trip since he got to sit on his dad's lap the entire time. He is a little over 8 months now! He's still a handsome, well-behaved young boy. He acclimated very well to the new apartment, though his new surroundings are VERY different (lots of sun, heat, birds, ducks, and other dogs around here) he is getting braver every day on his walks.

Since moving here, we have dealt with A LOT - he had his first random bout of diarrhea which lasted about 36 hours then the sad and sudden passing of his cousin Sushi who was our 11 year old family cat. We flew back to NY so we could all support my parents and sister during this hard time. We planted a little fairy garden in honor of Sushi and Gooby helped by keeping a close watch on our digging lol.. Gooby definitely brightened my sister and my mom up for the weekend and we got to spend Father's Day in NY. He never spent much time with Sushi but as soon as he got to my parent's place he went straight to the room Sushi was usually in to look for her.

Here are some pics.. 1st pic is his first vet appt in Houston next to his first grooming in Houston, then just a happy Goobs gettin rubs from his mama :D I'm excited to catch up all the posts I've missed!

Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
Oh My Dog, we have a Goobster sighting! He is one GOOD LOOKING boy! It is so good to hear about his adventures. Ricky and I have missed him and we are both so happy he is doing well. We both need a regular Goobster fix to know that the world is still spinning on its axis. So often we get attached to dogs on this forum and then they just disappear. Each and every dog is a valued member to us. Please give us an update on him as frequently as you can even if it is a simple, "we are still here and everything is going fine."

Thanks for checking in.
[EDIT] forgot to say Ricky was born near Houston!

Member (Teresa)
Oh my gosh how wonderful to see Gooby on the forum again, he is growing up so fast! You have certainly been busy the last 3 months. My husband is Japanese so we think Sushi is the best name ever. That was very sweet of you to support your family. My mother in law passed away the day after we arrived home with Jodie and the dogs came with us every where. There is something delightfully healing about a puppy. Making a fairy garden is a nice way to remember Sushi.
Gooby's pictures are fantastic! He looks like a very happy little guy. Joide licked my screen 8 times, I think she might be in love馃挏 It's okay though, my husband married an older woman and he still seems pretty happy about it馃槅
Welcome back to the forum!

Metrowest, MA
Oh, he鈥檚 such an adorable boy! And still getting cuter all the time!

Reactions: itsgooby

Premium Member
Oh goodness...Gooby is such a beautiful boy! I want to smile just looking at him! It sounds like it has been a busy few months. I love the idea of a fairy garden remembrance for your sweet family cat Sushi.馃挋 Good to have you back!

2005-2021
So glad to hear from you and Gooby! Sorry for your loss of Sushi. Gooby is a very handsome boy, love the pictures.! :)

Registered
Gooby looks like such a happy little boy鈽 And super cut too!

As others have said, sorry to hear of Sushi鈥檚 passing, dog or cat, they hold such a special place on our hearts 馃挄

Ali
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Welp, the day has come! Gooby finally had to get a haircut just shy of 9 months. The matting was getting out of control and nothing I did helped, despite daily brushing, dematting comb, conditioning detangling sprays.. I was dreading this day so much.. to watch his gorgeous puppy hair with golden tips be cut off. But it's for the best! I really didn't want him to be uncomfortable. Plus I'm sure he feels MUCH cooler in the Texas heat like this.

Metrowest, MA
Look, though!!! All his tiger stripes are back!!! That is SOOOO COOOOL!!!! 鉂 鉂 鉂 鉂

21 - 40 of 47 Posts