Havanese Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost our Lucy, 11.5 years old due to heart failure and pulmonary hypertension. I got Lucy the day I graduated college so she had been with me my entire adult life. I'm now married and have 2 young kids (3.5 and 6 months) but somehow the house is just too quiet without her.

I am a dog person through and through and can't imagine starting over and getting a new dog. I know we will but even thinking about it makes me feel like I am replacing her.

Also, 11.5 years ago was a different time with getting a dog, wrapping my head around waitlists and the like is crazy.

How long did everyone wait after they lost a dog to getting a new one? Do I need to reach out now to breeders if I'm looking for a dog in the next year or two? All of this completely overwhelms me.

Dog Carnivore Water dog Comfort Companion dog

Picture of our Lucy :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
We lost our Lucy, 11.5 years old due to heart failure and pulmonary hypertension. I got Lucy the day I graduated college so she had been with me my entire adult life. I'm now married and have 2 young kids (3.5 and 6 months) but somehow the house is just too quiet without her.

I am a dog person through and through and can't imagine starting over and getting a new dog. I know we will but even thinking about it makes me feel like I am replacing her.

Also, 11.5 years ago was a different time with getting a dog, wrapping my head around waitlists and the like is crazy.

How long did everyone wait after they lost a dog to getting a new one? Do I need to reach out now to breeders if I'm looking for a dog in the next year or two? All of this completely overwhelms me.

View attachment 178912
Picture of our Lucy :(
I am so sorry for your loss. We lost our Cruiser in March, had a new puppy by the end of June. We are just the type of family that has a need to have a dog in our lives. We are semi-retired. HOWEVER, you have two young children, and this may not be the optimum time to get a puppy. Maybe a young adult (a show breeder who grew out a potential puppy?) But puppies are very labor-intensive and you are in a different time of your life. Or simply wait until your children are a wee bit older.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I’ve been reading that the wait lists aren’t as long. I don’t think it hurts to contact breeders and say that you’re looking to get a puppy in the next year or so and get to know them. I think when to do puppies with children is really individual. I waited a long time because I thought it would be too much and it turned out that our lives were already so scheduled that a puppy’s routine fit in better than I expected. It was an adjustment, figuring out the new morning routine, and there were moments but I definitely don’t regret it. I actually wish I had done it earlier, when our routine was even more structured. Indoor litter box training helped a lot because we didn’t have to take a puppy out every couple of hours. I agree that an adult Havanese from a breeder is a really good fit for a lot of families. I think it means a longer wait, which might actually be good for you if you’re not quite ready but thinking ahead, and getting to know breeders well. When they have a dog they are ready to place, for retirement or maybe an older puppy they decide not to breed, they will have a better idea if it’s a good fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are both good thoughts thank you. I do think we will want a puppy eventually (even though if may seem crazy) but perhaps we'll wait a bit longer. It breaks my heart to think that our kids won't remember Lucy and I love the idea of them growing up with a dog even from a young age (as I did). Both kids are in daycare/pre-school as we work full time and we both work from home full time which would definitely make having a puppy easier than if we weren't home all the time.

I'm hoping somehow we'll just know when we're ready but then I fear we'll end up waiting a year on a waitlist.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
First of all, I am sorry for your loss of Lucy. The loss of one of our furry companions leaves a hole in our heart that never will be completely filled. In our case, we lost our wonderful Havanese Lotus in February just before she reached 14. Lotus was my first dog and grew up alongside our children (who have long since left the nest). I said I would never get another dog because it would be an insult to Lotus (she never could be replaced). We then looked at it that Lotus' legacy will be our addition of a new Havanese. Consequently, we found a reputable breeder with an available puppy and got our wonderful Ellie Bea in late March. The opportunity to get Ellie kind of fell into our lap. We were lucky. My wife and I are both in our late 50's and could not be happier with Ellie. Can she be a little work? Yes! But we love and cherish her immensely. We have no regrets.

With respect to your question about waitlist and the like, I would suggest you begin researching breeders both in and outside of your geographical area. Also be sure to search through this forum for advise on how to evaluate breeders, etc. It is never too early to begin the vetting process. You will determine the best timing. In the meantime, begin identifying your top one or two breeders...

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
We lost Rex in the Spring to cancer. We brought Izzy home mid-July. Some breeders did have longer waitlist but others not as long. Izzy has brought new liveliness to our home after the sadness of Rex’s illness and death. We did travel out of state for Izzy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is something that hit close - so I've been thinking it over the past few days, trying to find the correct words.
Still haven't, but another thing I neglected to mention was - mentally, you'll know when the time is right - just when other things aren't so pressing, like health, taking care of family members, or work, or moving, or something else.
And that by itself, is a positive indicator to mental health that you're ready to face a new challenge, etc...

ugh this still doesn't make sense in words outside my head, but hopefully it helps

1 - 10 of 10 Posts