·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to bathe Lucy today but after reading posts about matting etc.,
I thought I might need more information. First, what's the best shampoo to
use that can be purchased somewhere locally in Dallas. This baby needs a
bath so I don't have time to order the shampoo that someone suggested in
a post a while back. Do you use a creme rinse (is that the same as a detangler)?

Also, does anyone know a good groomer in the Dallas area?

Thanks......Margie

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Margie I didnt realize you were in Dallas.
So am I!

There is K9 Commisary which I get a lot of stuff from. They just moved. I think they are on Mockingbird now, East of Greenville.
Ill ask my very knowledgable groomer and give you some advice.

Ill pm me with some info after I ask someone a couple of questions.
IS your pup in full coat. Im trying to remember, you got a puppy, right?
If the puppy is still a baby and doesnt have much coat, I would go ahead and bathe it yourself. You can use a decent shampoo. I have even used Herbal Essences. I just wouldnt do it all the time. A lot of groomers will cut out mats instead of brushing so beware of that.

Also we have a club here in Dallas, Red River Havanese Club. We do a lot of fun events and the members are really helpful. There are some photos on here of our Agility event, if you ever want to meet other Havanesers.

:D
Melissa

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Melissa

Yep -- I'm in Dallas too! Park Cities -- and you?

Lucy is a puppy -- 14 weeks, so she's not in full coat. She does need a bath
though so today I'll give it a try. Should I try blowing her dry or just towel
dry?

Would love to meet you sometime!

Margie

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this question, but I figured it would belong in the grooming sections. How often should the anal glands be expressed in the Havanese. I am asking this because last weekend I went to the Vet ( Oreo's second shots), and asked his opinion on this. He told me that in his opinion, it shouldn't be done very often because he feels that naturally, if the diet is proper, the glands should express themselves. He told me he checks at every visit, but at Oreo's tender age he felt it would be more traumatic than helpful. He advised me not to let the groomers do it and that is only needs to be done if we observe him scooting or having problems. He feels if done often, it would actually cause the gland to be used to manual expression and would not function naturally. Any insights? How often do you find your Havs glands need to be expressed, if at all?
I know this is a subject that I have not seen mentioned often, so I thought I would ask for any clarification. I also didn't want to start an individual thread entitled "Anal glands" either. :)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
As a former groomer I agree with your vet. Unless Oreo has problems, let nature take its course. "If it's not broken don't fix it".

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I also have Never had to have them expressed on mine. I think the best idea is "if it aint broke, dont fix it"!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I never had a problem with my dog Asta . I never had them expressed and the groomer never said he had a problem . I think good diet is important and sufficent water and exercise .
My friend has had major problems with her dog Tulip and she has had to have surgery . She is now on a special diet as well as just kibble ID from the vet . I do not personally recommend it - too much corn and you could probably do better with some of the new high end wet brands . She adds just 2 tablespoons to her dish .. She free feeds and this is not recommended either .
I have been told exercise is very important so be sure to walk the dog not just play with the dog .. Cosmo seems fine for now and the groomer never said boo ..

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ollie's groomer said same thing! Let nature take its course unless there is a problem...Vet assistant said small dogs need it done - however - they don't have alot of expereince with havanese...groomer said he looked good and we would know if there was a problem - ie scooting!:eek:

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
I had a question on grooming On yoda all his head hair falls in his eyes and it seems to grown in that direction is there a trick to get his hair to grow more naturally to the sides.As of right now Yoda hair is in his face all the time and he looks like a littl rag mop.His hair on his head is frizzy and always has been frizzy is there any way of correcting this.It gets really bad with the weather raining seems to bring the frizzy out more.Poor little guy.He wont keep rubber bands hair peices in either any one know of a why to brake him of taking them out?? I remember reading here but now I cant find it but when does the adult coat come in and the puppy coat leave?Thanks for any idea any one might have Susan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Grooming

Just a little suggestion re coming through mats, etc. Although Darby's mats haven't been very serious so far, I found a wonderful comb. It's called Evolution Rotating Pins medium comb. It says it untangles pet's coat, pins rotate while grooming and it removes loose hair. It is the best. So far, it glides right through Darby's hair. Darby is so tiny, but even though it appears this comb is for dog's bigger than he is, it works great on his coat. This is what the comb looks like: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0006NJ8FE/ref=dp_image_0/102-4586120-5080135?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen"]
[/ame]
I did not buy it on Amazon.com, but I see you can get it there. Whatever, you can type the name of the comb in your search engine and come up with a few places that sell it. Amazon sells it for $7.99.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have a question on their hair. How fast does it grow? Does it grow more during certain seasons the way dogs with fur have seasonal coats? I am asking because...
Last June, Kodi was shaved down due to excessive matting. Since that time, his hair has grown back, but it is not that long coat like some of your dogs have. I would appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How fast hair grows?

I can't answer that one because Darby is only eight months old and 4-1/2 lbs (he is the teeny tiny variety) and my first Havanese. He just had surgery on January 30th, and his hair is growing back on his tummy and the scar is nearly covered. But that doesn't really help you with your questions. I would be curious, too, about how fast the hair should or does grow. Penny

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
After 30 years at his job, the company my husband works for has decided to close their Lincoln plant. With this news we decided to try and go 12 weeks between haircuts for Cooper. Jim and I both swear that since we made this decision, his hair is growing MUCH, MUCH faster then it ever did before! I will keep reminding myself of the horrible cuts my dogs have received at ****Mart and not be tempted though!

Beverly

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Oh Beverly. Sorry to hear your husband's plant is closing. You can give your life to an organization and it doesn't seem to matter in the end. I will be thinking of you and praying things work out.

I am not sure how fast hair grows because I am still waiting for my Hav. I know my sister-in-law does a short puppy cut on her Hav every 6 weeks. That is a lot!!!

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
The hair on Dusty's leg was shaved very short for an IV when she was spayed in mid-november. It's now about an inch long. I've been told the hair growth varies a lot, just like everything else about havanese coats!

Best wishes with the job situation. 30 years is a long time, and big changes are always stressful.

We lived in Omaha for 4 years while my husband attended Creighton, but then we fled for warmer lands (we grew up in sunny San Diego). We did catch the college football bug though. Go Huskers!

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
I grew up in Escondido. My husband's parents still live in Escondido, and my parents now live in San Marcos in the Deer Springs area. We drive out from Arizona a few times a year to visit. We still love it out there. We're looking forward to taking Dusty to the beach, but last time we were out she had just been spayed and couldn't get wet yet. She loves water, so I think she'd like it.
Have you tried Yoda at the beach?

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
It is a small world my in laws live in Escondido I live in San Marcos next time you come out we need to hook up and have our little ones have a play time ,. I have not tried Yoda at the beach as of yet we have had some weird weath so Im waiting till it gets warmer.I cant wait to do that but with him going threw the puppy coat ugh!!! I would hate to take him there.LOL

1 - 20 of 41 Posts