Havanese Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am looking for help ... My 6 1/2 month old female "Dani" and I are getting ready for her first show in mid-December in Orlando. My question is how are their faces shown? Little Dani's hair falls over her eyes and I am not sure what to do ... Does anyone have any pictures they could send to me of a Hav's "show face"? Thanks! :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Just brush it. Especially for a young puppy it doesn't really matter. He can see fine. The Illustrated Standard says under Judges Recap at the end, "....should never be trimmed, except for the feet and hygienic trimming. He is essentially a "shaggy dog"." and "........should be shown a naturally as is consistent with good grooming............"

There has been a growing controversy on overgrooming or "sculpting" which you will be hearing more about as you get into showing, especially coming up in the near future. The Havanese are so new to the showring that a majority of the judges doing the judging in the ring now automatically got the breed because they were prequalified to judge the Toy Group. A lot of people have come to the conclusion that what gets put up in the ring is what the correct Havanese is. As an example the judge in one of the first bright light and green carpet shows put up the dog because "he was the only one in the ring with short legs". The dog had CD. There was a conflicting statement in some intermediate standard that said that the Havanese was a short legged dog and "short legged" was used in the quick AKC guide to the Havanese. Yes, short legged compared to a Borzoi but any dog with proportions in height in 1/3s is NOT a short legged dog.......

Anyway, don't get used to doing a lot of what you see in the ring now. The fan will get dirty on that pretty soon now. As far as the head furnishings, you will see hair spray, gels, and even teasing(seen in the holding area and even in the ring at the National!!!!!).

There really has been no recourse before with what judges put up however educated or uneducated they are on our breed. Pretty soon the rules change and breeds can be taken away from judges so expect a lot of what you see get sent to the rear of the line. Some judges have already started. Expect much waling and knashing of teeth as a lot of handlers sculpt the dogs a lot and argue that this is the way it should be. A proper coat cannot be sculpted but in any case the hoopla will be fun to watch.

There are some hair products that help hold the hair some without changing the texture but on a puppy I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the information. My groomer has been asking me and asking me, as she is the one I trust to go to the show with me and handle the grooming (until I learn myself), and she wants to be sure it is correct with the breed standard. I have read the AKC standard several times but, you are correct, there are so many other things going on behind the ring that I have noticed, that I was not sure...

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Yes, let the hair fall naturally or even allow it to part (think eyebrows) as it grows. Both options are allowed in the standard.
The long, untrimmed head furnishings may fall forward over the eyes, naturally and gracefully to either side of the skull, or held in two small braids beginning above the eyes, secured with plain elastic bands. (No ribbons or bows are permitted.)

G

·
Tom - Thank you for sharing that informative post. I do hope we see a change in the ring. It is very hard to watch all that spraying and sculpting in the grooming areas, and even harder to witness good examples of the breed losing because their owners are following the rules.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the invaluable information. Dani girl has been entered in her first show in mid-December in Orlando - the 6-9 mo puppy. So far all her "bangs" do is hang down over her eyes. I've tried to brush them side to side but then she promptly shakes her head and her eyes are covered up again! We certainly have our work cut out for both of us with lots of training before the show!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I just found this thread. How did "Dani' do in her first show.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dani did great in her first show in Orlando. She was "up" and happy and carried her tail on her back (which I was concerned that she would not). Out of the 3 in her 6-9 mo class, she came in second. However, we had her in the Brooksville show a couple of weekend's ago (an outdoors show), and she was so not happy to be there. They had the Hav's in the ring at 8:00 in the morning and, of course, the grass was soaking wet! She refused to carry her tail up (stuck straight out) and just looked like she wanted to go home the whole time. I would be excited to say that she did come in first that day in the 6-9 mo class, but the other two did not show up!

Anyway, since that show she has developed a slight limp and a little clumsiness to her back legs. :( We took her in for x-rays and the vet showed me that her tibia (the larger bone) was growing in an outward curve on both back legs. The fibula (smaller bone) was growing perfectly straight. I emailed the breeder as I'm not sure if I should continue to show her and definitely do not want to breed her if her legs are an issue as we don't want to pass this on to her pups. I haven't heard back yet. Anyone out there know anything about this or have any suggestions? Thanks again!

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Congrads and sorry to hear that her legs are curving Keep calling the breeder see what the breeder will do for you. And you are right on not breeding her with that type of issue it can be pass on to the pups.Alls I can say is love her and have with her, . Susan

G

·
Do you mind if I forward your question about Dani to a couple breeders who know a little more about Havanese health issues? We have a problem with curving forelegs in this breed, otherwise known as Chondrodsyplasia (or CD). Your post is interesting because it is the back legs that are curving.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Showing

Hav's are shown natural - hair in face or small braid at the corner of each eye. Those are your only choices.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forwarding my message on her legs is ok with me. I'm still trying to figure out if it is something that she may grow out of (if it will correct itself as she gets older - she is going on 9 mo's), or if it is permanent and possibly a genetic problem... Any info on it would be most helpful. I know the breeder we got her from is very well respected and does all of the required health testing, and gave us proof of the same when we got her. She is my sweetest baby so it is a little disappointing that she won't be able to show off her stuff in shows.

G

·
I just forwarded your message. I'll share any feedback I receive with you. I understand your disappointment, showing dogs is a tough sport :(

I'm glad to hear your breeder did all the health-testing. That is so important, but it's definitely not a guarantee. Unfortunately, things can and do go wrong, but the odds are in your favor when you test. Not knowing 'what' you're breeding is a risk I would never be willing to take.

I hope it all works out for you and Dani.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, today is the day :( After discussions with our vet and our breeder regarding our little Dani's back legs curving, we have all come to the same decision. Her show career, although very short, is over and she is getting spayed today as, of course, we would never breed her with the possibility of her passing on this issue. I have to say that the breeder we got her from is so incredible and honest. Besides doing all of the health testing, he definitely stands behind his pups. He will be giving us another show quality puppy when one becomes available. There are great and responsible breeders out there and it is my hope that they out number the bad ones!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts