Havanese Forum banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

I love him any way... but he's definitely cuter with more/ better groomed hair :). (Just snapped these just now sitting on the bed watching TV). He's a little scruffy and can't get a grooming appointment for another 3 weeks, but that's the nice thing about puppy cuts - you've got more time if needed :)

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
View attachment 173911

I love him any way... but he's definitely cuter with more/ better groomed hair :). (Just snapped these just now sitting on the bed watching TV). He's a little scruffy and can't get a grooming appointment for another 3 weeks, but that's the nice thing about puppy cuts - you've got more time if needed :)

View attachment 173912
Oh, I think he looks adorable at this length!!! ❤

·
Registered
268 Posts
View attachment 173911

View attachment 173912
Perry is so cute. I love his doggy muscle shirt!

·
Dexter’s mom
141 Posts
I’ve yet to find a groomer who seems to know how to groom a Havanese so they look like a Havanese! During covid I took Dexter to a new groomer at our vet who came recommended. We had been growing his hair out and I showed pictures of exactly what I wanted. When I picked him up it was raining so I was in a hurry and didn’t notice until we got home that she had cut him in a puppy cut with what looked like a platypus face! Dexter doesn’t look good in a puppy cut. So I’ve never been to the groomers since. I’ve started doing my own for all three dogs, and though I know it’s not perfect, at least I have some control over it now. Plus it saves me a ton of money!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Part of the problem is that there IS no ONE "Havanese cut", because the standard is for NO cut! LOL! So anything else we do is just made up, what we like! And even looking through the forum, it's pretty clear that there are different preferences in what looks good among our members! No wonder groomers have a hard time getting it right if we aren't REALLY specific! (or have done our dogs a number of times)

The other problem is that the type of coat varies quite a bit from one Have to another. So a cut that looks adorable on one may not look the same on another. So even just bringing in a photo you love of a Havanese in a cut you admire doesn't alway guarantee that your groomer can make YOUR dog's coat look like that. So there are a lot of moving pieces!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,200 Posts
Part of the problem is that there IS no ONE "Havanese cut", because the standard is for NO cut! LOL! So anything else we do is just made up, what we like! And even looking through the forum, it's pretty clear that there are different preferences in what looks good among our members! No wonder groomers have a hard time getting it right if we aren't REALLY specific! (or have done our dogs a number of times)

The other problem is that the type of coat varies quite a bit from one Have to another. So a cut that looks adorable on one may not look the same on another. So even just bringing in a photo you love of a Havanese in a cut you admire doesn't alway guarantee that your groomer can make YOUR dog's coat look like that. So there are a lot of moving pieces!
The same principle applies when I have gone to the hair dresser. I bring a picture in of the perfect cut I want. I leave feeling that I want to put a bag over my head.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
I get what you mean because with a lot of small dog breeds, there’s a more clear “puppy cut,” and they all look pretty much the same with it, like they did as a puppy. Which makes it easy to see if it’s a terrible haircut or not! Havanese coats do seem to be different, so cutting the ears more round or more straight, shorter or longer, can look completely different on thin ears vs. fluffy ears, etc. I think that makes it a lot harder to find a good groomer for Havanese, especially in an area where they aren’t common, because skill has a lot to do with experience, and it seems to involve a little more trial and error. But it’s hard to pay for trial and error! I need to have a good relationship with the groomer and know we communicate well so that if there are mistakes, at least I know we’re getting somewhere. I think a Havanese puppy coat should look as much like a natural puppy coat as possible, and then personal preference takes a role from there. One thing I really don’t like is the common Bichon puppy cut, where the head is really short and rounded, and I think sometimes they default to that with Havanese.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
I get what you mean because with a lot of small dog breeds, there’s a more clear “puppy cut,” and they all look pretty much the same with it, like they did as a puppy. Which makes it easy to see if it’s a terrible haircut or not! Havanese coats do seem to be different, so cutting the ears more round or more straight, shorter or longer, can look completely different on thin ears vs. fluffy ears, etc. I think that makes it a lot harder to find a good groomer for Havanese, especially in an area where they aren’t common, because skill has a lot to do with experience, and it seems to involve a little more trial and error. But it’s hard to pay for trial and error! I need to have a good relationship with the groomer and know we communicate well so that if there are mistakes, at least I know we’re getting somewhere. I think a Havanese puppy coat should look as much like a natural puppy coat as possible, and then personal preference takes a role from there. One thing I really don’t like is the common Bichon puppy cut, where the head is really short and rounded, and I think sometimes they default to that with Havanese.
Well, even with ears, there is a LOT of disagreement between Havanese owners. I like short "puppy" ears with a puppy cut, but there are LOTS of people who like long ears on their Havanese... and even long beards and mustaches. As far as a Bichon cut head. I can't even imagine!!! No one has ever suggested that for mine, but with the soft, REALLY silky coats mine have, that wouldn't work at all. The coat has to have a LOT of undercoat, body and quite a bit of curl for them to get that look where the ears just disappear into the rest of the head! Not even POSSIBLE on any of mine, though I guess there are Havanese with coats that thick...

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,200 Posts
I was thinking maybe leaving the head “natural” would be safer and at least give the Havanese look. Then I remembered your experience with Sundance!!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
I was thinking maybe leaving the head “natural” would be safer and at least give the Havanese look. Then I remembered your experience with Sundance!!!!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Well, even with ears, there is a LOT of disagreement between Havanese owners. I like short "puppy" ears with a puppy cut, but there are LOTS of people who like long ears on their Havanese... and even long beards and mustaches. As far as a Bichon cut head. I can't even imagine!!! No one has ever suggested that for mine, but with the soft, REALLY silky coats mine have, that wouldn't work at all. The coat has to have a LOT of undercoat, body and quite a bit of curl for them to get that look where the ears just disappear into the rest of the head! Not even POSSIBLE on any of mine, though I guess there are Havanese with coats that thick...
Perry tends to poof out when he gets longer so he's much cuter in a puppy cut with a rounder face.

I like the medium ears for Perry - not really short puppy ears but not too long - sort of chin length like the grey fleece picture below. And even though Perry tends to get poofier when he gets longer he'd never poof out enough to look like a bichon either :)

Perry is so cute. I love his doggy muscle shirt!
It's technically a fleece and it has pockets (well a few of them do)!!! The pockets really amuse me I have to say, but they do make it easier to grab him sometimes :).

He has them in multiple colors - the green that you saw, a regular blue, light blue, lime green, and grey (he gets cold during winters here and I want to wash them in between - plus they're super cute :) )

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,200 Posts
Perry tends to poof out when he gets longer so he's much cuter in a puppy cut with a rounder face.

I like the medium ears for Perry - not really short puppy ears but not too long - sort of chin length like the grey fleece picture below. And even though Perry tends to get poofier when he gets longer he'd never poof out enough to look like a bichon either :)

I really like the ear length on Perry. That is where Mia’s look best too because she has black markings on her neck so it looks b

It's technically a fleece and it has pockets (well a few of them do)!!! The pockets really amuse me I have to say, but they do make it easier to grab him sometimes :).

He has them in multiple colors - the green that you saw, a regular blue, light blue, lime green, and grey (he gets cold during winters here and I want to wash them in between - plus they're super cute :) ) View attachment 173946 View attachment 173947 View attachment 173949 View attachment 173950

He has them in multiple colors - the green that you saw, a regular blue, light blue, lime green, and grey (he gets cold during winters here and I want to wash them in between - plus they're super cute :) ) View attachment 173946 View attachment 173947 View attachment 173949 View attachment 173950
I think Perry’s ear length is perfect for him. Mia also looks good with hers about that length because she has black on her neck and this allows her ears to meet up with that.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts

I love that ear length on him! Perfect!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
3 Posts
My big mistake is using a recommended vet groomer for his first full cut. I asked for a teddy bear cut and this is what he came back with (after being there the entire day from 9 am to 3pm). No idea what happened to his leg. Every time I tried to call back the groomer wasn't there. Live and learn I suppose.

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
My big mistake is using a recommended vet groomer for his first full cut. I asked for a teddy bear cut and this is what he came back with (after being there the entire day from 9 am to 3pm). No idea what happened to his leg. Every time I tried to call back the groomer wasn't there. Live and learn I suppose.
The ring around his leg looks like it was for an IV, no? The other problem is that asking for a “teddy bear cut” is like asking for a “puppy cut” with no further directions... everyone has a slightly different take on what that is. Just looking at your pup’s photo, my guess is that his hair is too silky and not “poufy” enough for them to be ABLE to produce something looking like a teddy bear cut on him. So IMO, the biggest mistake they made was in not communicating that to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There was no IV (he was just there for suture removal and grooming) which is why it was so puzzling. I also gave them pictures of what I meant by teddy bear cut and told her how much length to take off. I wish that they had just called me and said they can only do a light trim of face, feet and fanny.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
There was no IV (he was just there for suture removal and grooming) which is why it was so puzzling. I also gave them pictures of what I meant by teddy bear cut and told her how much length to take off. I wish that they had just called me and said they can only do a light trim of face, feet and fanny.
So they just cut the ring arond his leg for no reason? Or was that there from his previous surgery?

61 - 80 of 111 Posts