Havanese Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes! We were baffled. No idea why she did that. Especially when she left some long hair hanging down.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Yes! We were baffled. No idea why she did that. Especially when she left some long hair hanging down.
That is the strangest thing ever! And no explanation at all!?!? I think I wouldn’t have paid them!

Reactions: Heather's

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
It seems the groomer was planning some sort of fancy cut and then realized it was the wrong breed? That shaved part looks to be intentionally and perfectly done! 🙂 Our groomer never makes a grooming appointment until having a meet and greet with the dogs owner. She can then determine the dogs temperament, coat condition and the owners expectations. There are no surprises. Haircutting is an art.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
when Karen first mentioned it looked shaved for an IV, I thought the same thing! Before you replied, I had the horrific thought, that something happened and they took her to the vet and didn’t tell you. But of course that’s completely crazy, right?? Was the groomer at the vet’s office, or just referred to by the vet?

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,200 Posts
All I can say is that for any profession (including groomers), some finished at the top of the class and some finished at the bottom. I can find no other explanation for this, and for some groomers (and other professionals) no amount of communication is going to help. There is something amiss between the ears,

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,377 Posts
I have no scary stories to share. :). Bugsy had one puppy cut when he was neutered 14 years ago. It was a nice puppy cut and well executed. It’s just that I hated it! He never had another haircut since. I do all the washing, brushing, combing, drying, nail trimming and shaving between the paws. He is truly a wash and wear dog!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have no scary stories to share. :). Bugsy had one puppy cut when he was neutered 14 years ago. It was a nice puppy cut and well executed. It’s just that I hated it! He never had another haircut since. I do all the washing, brushing, combing, drying, nail trimming and shaving between the paws. He is truly a wash and wear dog!
Julian, I also did the same for my dearly departed Daisy, except nail trims and ‘shaving between the paws’. I haven’t heard of that before! Is that for only certain breeds?

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,377 Posts
Julian, I also did the same for my dearly departed Daisy, except nail trims and ‘shaving between the paws’. I haven’t heard of that before! Is that for only certain breeds?
i shave inside the paw pads so That Bugsy doesn’t slip when he walks. You know how the hair grows inside the little paws? It’s easier for me to use the clippers than anything else. Probably the ease comes from shaving poodle feet for the last 16 years. Lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
i shave inside the paw pads so That Bugsy doesn’t slip when he walks. You know how the hair grows inside the little paws? It’s easier for me to use the clippers than anything else. Probably the ease comes from shaving poodle feet for the last 16 years. Lol
Ah ok, got you! Gosh, I never even thought of it but makes perfect sense now that you’ve clued me in!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,200 Posts
I wish Mia liked having her paw pads shaved but she hates it. However, she stands like a statue and does not mind at all when I do them with scissors. So I just do them more frequently with scissors.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wish Mia liked having her paw pads shaved but she hates it. However, she stands like a statue and does not mind at all when I do them with scissors. So I just do them more frequently with scissors.
Oh goodness, I’m having a good laugh and memory at the ‘statue’ pose. That’s what my Daisy used to do when I bathed her. I knew she had a love/hate thing with it where she loved all the massaging and gentle care but didn’t like to be all wet. Also remembering that she wouldn’t do the wet dog shake when I pulled the shower liner closed (to avoid getting soaked). She‘d stop and look at me like, ”No! If I must get wet then you must as well.” So as soon as she was in the midst of the shake, I’d quickly pull the curtain closed and peek in til she was done. Oh how I miss her funny and crazy little self.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before my Havanese I had 2 Schapendoes (Dutch sheepdog, long hair, about the size of a Tibetan Terrier) and 1 Coton du Tulear. I kept them all in full coat (a bit of trimming so it didn't drag on the ground) and each went to the groomer once a month, I was always there, and figure I have watched, up close, long haired dogs being groomed at least 500 times (and paid about 25,000 dollars over the years). With my Havanese, I decided to do it myself from the outset. She is now almost 11 months. I brush her every day, and so far have bathed her once a month, but think I will start doing it every two weeks. I bought a grooming table, razor, etc. and am really pleased with the result so far. I haven't tried doing her nails yet, but she's a city dog and they don't get too long. She puts up with everything, except if I go any where near her ears and then she goes nuts. Even if I am not grooming her and try to put my finger in her ear, she goes nuts. I have tried distracting her with treats, but she still moves so much there is no way I can do inside her ears. And there are knots on the inside flaps, which she simply will not allow me to brush out - let alone trying to remove the ear hair. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
WOW! a member from Germany! Welcomen zie! This is great! As you already know, Havanese and Cotons are first cousins, similar grooming required unless you put them in a puppy cut.

Regarding ears, have you had a Vet check for any possible ear infection? Havanese can be prone to ear infections in some cases. You need to keep the hair at the inner ear plucked short, or you can have problems. It sounds like you have a lot to deal with right now, especially if she won't cooperate. If I were in your position, I would take her to a Vet or EXPERIENCED groomer and have them clean the hair out of her ears then you could start from scratch and I think it would be a lot easier for you. I am told that plucking ear hair causes no discomfort to a dog.

Another tip: we put a squirt of Epi-Otic into each of RICKY's inner ear canals at least once a month at the recommendation of his Vet. It is an ear cleaner and mild analgesic to nip any bacterial ear infection before it gets out of control. RICKY cooperates because he knows there's a cookie waiting for him when I am done.
https://www.amazon.com/Virbac-003108-Epi-Otic-Advanced-Cleaner/dp/B074P6C27C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=28MU14WVZHOPT&dchild=1&keywords=epi-otic+advanced+ear+cleaner+for+dogs&qid=1619801991&sprefix=epi-otic,aps,212&sr=8-5
RICKY loves belly rubs but he loves ear massages even better.

Let is know how it goes and send more Kartoffelsalat to us starving Yankees! 😉

[EDIT] send photos of your dog mach schnell !

·
Registered
51 Posts
These are all such good tips! We’ve kept Charlie in a long-ish puppy cut (usually ~4”). My biggest regret is that the place we took him for the first few years was not a good fit for my fairly anxious pup, and it took me too long to realize it didn’t have to be like that. All the groomers in my area were similar- they took several dogs at once, and the groomer had an assistant that did the washing. They had driers attached to crates, and it took several hours because of the rotation of diffeeent dogs. It was fairly noisy too. I just thought this was the way it was, and had no room for a grooming table in my tiny apartment, so didn’t really have much of an option. But Charlie hated it and developed a ton of anxiety around going to the groomer— to the extent that if we turned in that direction on a walk he would plant his feet! When we moved, we found a wonderful solo groomer who only takes one dog at a time, so he’s only there for an hour and a half, max. He still doesn’t particularly like it, but he is SO much better than when he was in that chaotic environment with other dogs for hours at a time, and I think it’s a lot safer for him as well. I know this type of a setting isn’t available everywhere, but I’ve found it to be worth it (and interestingly, doesn’t cost more for me). Definitey thinking about how to do grooming differently/better when we add a new puppy and these tips help a lot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Actually from BELGIUM, sort of close to Germany, but not the same country and we don't do potato salad, we do FRITES. Which are French fries, but we eat them with - get this - mayonnaise. Try it, you'll love it. Not any old mayonnaise - i.e. not Miracle Whip - but mayonnaise made with olive oil. To die for. You'll give up ketchup forever.

There doesn't seem to be any infection - she has been checked by the vet and all is okay - she just won't let me touch them. What's up with that? And how do I get her over it?

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
Actually from BELGIUM, sort of close to Germany, but not the same country and we don't do potato salad, we do FRITES. Which are French fries, but we eat them with - get this - mayonnaise. Try it, you'll love it. Not any old mayonnaise - i.e. not Miracle Whip - but mayonnaise made with olive oil. To die for. You'll give up ketchup forever.

There doesn't seem to be any infection - she has been checked by the vet and all is okay - she just won't let me touch them. What's up with that? And how do I get her over it?
I have VERY good friends that live in Brussels. She is an emergency room doctor at one of the hospitals there. She is fluent in (get this!) five languages and can get by in another two!

I have eaten Frites with mayonnaise at a sidewalk cafe when visiting there. Very Good! So good, I asked for another little cup of that mayonnaise and the waiter said, "one Euro please." 😄😄😄

Have you tried giving her treats when working on her ears? Is she food motivated? RICKY loves french fries but I give him a small piece only rarely because they are not good for him....me either.

Reactions: LeleRF

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Before my Havanese I had 2 Schapendoes (Dutch sheepdog, long hair, about the size of a Tibetan Terrier) and 1 Coton du Tulear. I kept them all in full coat (a bit of trimming so it didn't drag on the ground) and each went to the groomer once a month, I was always there, and figure I have watched, up close, long haired dogs being groomed at least 500 times (and paid about 25,000 dollars over the years). With my Havanese, I decided to do it myself from the outset. She is now almost 11 months. I brush her every day, and so far have bathed her once a month, but think I will start doing it every two weeks. I bought a grooming table, razor, etc. and am really pleased with the result so far. I haven't tried doing her nails yet, but she's a city dog and they don't get too long. She puts up with everything, except if I go any where near her ears and then she goes nuts. Even if I am not grooming her and try to put my finger in her ear, she goes nuts. I have tried distracting her with treats, but she still moves so much there is no way I can do inside her ears. And there are knots on the inside flaps, which she simply will not allow me to brush out - let alone trying to remove the ear hair. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?
What I do when 3-year-old Patti gives me problems when I want to look at something on her body is .... I put her on the grooming table, put the loop around her neck, Daddy comes in and holds her head, and feeds her tiny favorite treats while I'm researching what I want to look at. Her heads in the loop, she can't move much with him holding her and Patti can't decide if she should be worried about me or getting the treats out of daddy's hand.

Patti has a thing about me combing her tail. If I say Patti I want to "look at your tail," Patti jumps three-feet backwards with a "What! Do You Want To Do" 🙀🙀🙀 look on her face and there's no way I can catch her, if I try.

When I'm petting her I touch, smooth, and play with that area, as well as, the rest of her body and she doesn't notice. When I brush and comb her I work a long time on her body and then slyly comb her tail. In that situation Patti doesn't seem to notice unless I continue for a long time or call her attention to it.

I can see why you like the Havanese. They look like a Toy Schapendoes.;)

I'll have to try the Mayo with Olive Oil Frites.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
When I'm petting her I touch, smooth, and play with that area, as well as, the rest of her body and she doesn't notice. When I brush and comb her I work a long time on her body and then slyly comb her tail. In that situation Patti doesn't seem to notice unless I continue for a long time or call her attention to it.
It's funny that tail and ears have been mentioned as the difficult part for some dogs - as they're the two easiest places for Perry. He does not mind at all if I comb his ears - so I alternate between his ears and his face because he HATES his face being combed (though he's gotten better since, after switching to Honest Kitchen I have to comb his bear/ face a LOT more than before!). He doesn't love his tail being combed but doesn't give me too much trouble.

He very much dislikes anyone touching, let alone combing, his front legs - if he can he will quickly tuck them under his body.

To trim his foot pads (the hair between the pads) I will sit on the floor and flip him onto his back on my legs. Doing the back ones are fine that way... but to do the front ones I usually have to hold him more tightly with my legs and sort of pin him down that way in order to get the front ones done. His groomer doesn't seem to have that much trouble - she does it in on the grooming table without the problems he gives me :).

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
Scout really doesn't like having his legs and paws brushed combed. He will contort his body every which way to get away from the brush or comb. Because his coat is cream colored his paws need frequent shampooing, drying and combing. It could be so easy, but he always makes it a challenge. I always do the combing on the grooming table so he can not escape. Truffles doesn't like it either, but at least she is cooperative.:)

81 - 100 of 111 Posts