Havanese Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Very cute! I guess this will involve a bath?😆 Looks like Charlie had a blast at the beach!

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
(though he's gotten better since, after switching to Honest Kitchen I have to comb his bear/ face a LOT more than before!).
Mel, how 'soupy' are you making the HK? We mix it so it is like a paste. As a paste it isn't that sticky. Although RICKY buries his face in his HK, he rarely needs his face cleaned. When he does we use a damp wash cloth and clean his beard (which we purposely cut pretty short). We follow up with a CC#006 comb on his face and we are done under a minute, really. It is not his favorite thing to do but he generally cooperates.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
Speaking of grooming... my little sand monster this morning!
UHHHHHHHH......I don't know where I would begin cleaning this one! 🤔 He looks so pleased with himself. I think I would just throw him in the washing machine and put it on the spin cycle!

You gotta just love the Havanese breed, never a dull moment in your life!

·
Registered
51 Posts
UHHHHHHHH......I don't know where I would begin cleaning this one! 🤔 He looks so pleased with himself. I think I would just throw him in the washing machine and put it on the spin cycle!

You gotta just love the Havanese breed, never a dull moment in your life!
Lol that would be easier!! The sand was extra muddy today. He’s getting groomed in a couple of days so we didn’t have to put him through the indignity of a bath today; after some toweling off and an outdoor brunch, his coat was dry and the sand had fallen off. His former dog walker took him to the beach multiple days a week for years, so we got used to salty dog, as we couldn’t bathe him every day. The beach is truly his happy place, so we don’t mind.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Speaking of grooming... my little sand monster this morning! o_O
View attachment 174421
Awwwww this picture is priceless😍😍😍😍you don’t get a happier, dirtier doggy than that!

Like you say in your later post, it looks worse than it is as most of it just falls off them once it’s dried and you can brush it out. Flo is a beach bunny too so I speak from experience...although I did think husband was going to divorce me the first time I brought her back from the beach😂😂now he just rolls his eyes and gets the brushes out for me😘

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
Awwwww this picture is priceless😍😍😍😍you don’t get a happier, dirtier doggy than that!

Like you say in your later post, it looks worse than it is as most of it just falls off them once it’s dried and you can brush it out. Flo is a beach bunny too so I speak from experience...although I did think husband was going to divorce me the first time I brought her back from the beach😂😂now he just rolls his eyes and gets the brushes out for me😘
We used to have a “beach emergency kit“ for Kodi, which consisted of two BIG beach towels, one to get the worst of the water out beach-side, and another to line his crate until he dried. Then a wood pin brush to brush out the rest of the sand once he dried. When we got home we did rinse the salt out of him, though, so it did require another wetting down and at least some conditioner, if not a full bath!

I sent this photo to his groomer at the time, and almost gave her heart failure! LOL!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,200 Posts
OMG Now I'm really glad I have a city girl....but I bet whoever's under all that mud had a great time getting that way.
I wish I had a city girl! My girl likes to hunt moles in our clay soil which essentially turns to concrete when it dries! Her hair is very short here so I could clean her more easily. It is much longer now and hoping she keeps her digging to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Mel, how 'soupy' are you making the HK? We mix it so it is like a paste. As a paste it isn't that sticky. Although RICKY buries his face in his HK, he rarely needs his face cleaned. When he does we use a damp wash cloth and clean his beard (which we purposely cut pretty short). We follow up with a CC#006 comb on his face and we are done under a minute, really. It is not his favorite thing to do but he generally cooperates.
I do make it pretty soupy - he rarely drinks water so I try to put quite a bit in his food to make sure he stays hydrated. I will probably keep it that way til we're done with all the medical stuff (since he won't be able to just go to his water when he wants), but after that I will try making it more a paste.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
I do make it pretty soupy - he rarely drinks water so I try to put quite a bit in his food to make sure he stays hydrated. I will probably keep it that way til we're done with all the medical stuff (since he won't be able to just go to his water when he wants), but after that I will try making it more a paste.
I understand your issues and think you are doing a great job! Have you tried putting a little bit of chicken broth in his drinking water? Sometimes we will boil up some chicken breast for RICKY and put a little bit of the 'chicken water' in his drinking water after it cools. Although RICKY does not drink a lot of water (except after eating Bully Stick) he will suck up his bowl with flavored chicken water in it.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts