Havanese Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dusty stopped eating again last week. The only reason I could think of is that I started using the eye drop Tacrolimus again. It’s for dry eyes which he has because of diabetes. He was taken off it the last time he stopped eating along with another medication. Since he was doing well again, I decided to use Tacrolimus again, per the eye dr. Within three days he stopped eating again. I took him off the eye drop again and he’s now eating again. Tacrolimus eye drops are not known to cause loss of appetite in dogs but when people use it as an immunosuppressant medication it can to them. Does anyone else have experience with Tacrolimus eye drops?
My vet has suggested that I ultrasound his stomach and pancreas to see if anything is going on there that’s causing him to stop eating. He’s been X-rayed to check for tumors and thank God doesn’t have any. It’s been such a roller coaster with Dusty’s health for the last two months. Since he gets insulin twice a day, it’s really important that he eats. If anyone has a particular picky eater, do you have any suggestions for food to entice him. He is taking an appetite stimulant. Thanks to all of you at HF for giving support to me and Dusty.

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
If anyone has a particular picky eater, do you have any suggestions for food to entice him. He is taking an appetite stimulant. Thanks to all of you at HF for giving support to me and Dusty.
What are you currently feeding Dusty?

I just noticed yesterday that our local Costco is now carrying Fresh Pet in a refrigerated cooler. I may give that a try for Ricky just out of curiosity (I already know he will like it - he likes everything!)

Good fortune to you and Dusty and keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He eats Hills and Royal Canin low fat moist food. He used to gobble his food down. I never thought I’d have a problem with feeding him. I’ve tried a lot of different dog foods to entice him but have to be careful because he’s supposed to eat low fat due to diabetes and pancreatitis when he was a puppy. I’m adding a tiny bit of Cesar’s Filet Mignon flavor along with beef bone broth. I did try Fresh Pet the last time he stopped eating but he wasn’t interested but it does look good.

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
he’s supposed to eat low fat due to diabetes and pancreatitis when he was a puppy.
Here are three excellent low fat dog foods from DogFoodAdvisor.com:
  1. Annamaet Lean Reduced Fat Formula
  2. Eagle Reduced Fat Dog Food
  3. Nulo FreeStyle Adult Trim Dry Dog Food

Reactions: JazzWife

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Dusty stopped eating again last week. The only reason I could think of is that I started using the eye drop Tacrolimus again. It’s for dry eyes which he has because of diabetes. He was taken off it the last time he stopped eating along with another medication. Since he was doing well again, I decided to use Tacrolimus again, per the eye dr. Within three days he stopped eating again. I took him off the eye drop again and he’s now eating again. Tacrolimus eye drops are not known to cause loss of appetite in dogs but when people use it as an immunosuppressant medication it can to them. Does anyone else have experience with Tacrolimus eye drops?
My vet has suggested that I ultrasound his stomach and pancreas to see if anything is going on there that’s causing him to stop eating. He’s been X-rayed to check for tumors and thank God doesn’t have any. It’s been such a roller coaster with Dusty’s health for the last two months. Since he gets insulin twice a day, it’s really important that he eats. If anyone has a particular picky eater, do you have any suggestions for food to entice him. He is taking an appetite stimulant. Thanks to all of you at HF for giving support to me and Dusty.
Boo has IBD. So, i have vast experience with a dog, who will turn down a french fry. In the past, sometimes, he would skip meals three days in a row, if his IBD started to flare. These days, it is mostly controlled. He eats JustFoodForDogs, which is a home cooked diet. Boo eats a custom veterinary formula. The protein source is lamb. Boo finds it very palatable. As with any new diet, the key is to change slowly to avoid digestive upset. The thing I like about JustFoodForDogs is that they will design a custom formula tailored to your animals special needs. Of course, they are rather pricey. So not always the best option for everyone.

As for an abdominal ultrasound, Boo has had them four or five times. They are non invasive, and well tolerated. Boo had an abdominal and cardiac ultrasound just a few months ago at age 19. He is an anxious dog, but had no problem with it. The ultrasound gives a lot of good information. I think it is a very helpful dagnostic tool.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope Dusty stays well.

PS. Sorry I have no experience with Tacrolimus.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Please be sure to check back in and let us know how Dusty is doing . . . I am over here in my house saying OH NO out loud as I read your post. It is clear I need to calm down. May Dusty get and stay well . . .

·
Super Moderator
4,835 Posts
I sometimes buy the Nulo FreeStyle Cod and Lentils Recipe Grain-Free Adult Trim kibble. My friends vet recommended it when her dog had to lose weight. It's only 7.0% fat. Scout and Truffles seem to like it. We always add a little turkey or chicken, vegetables and yogurt to their kibble. They also like the Nulo turkey and chicken jerky treats.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Tacrolimus is an immune suppressant. I know it’s used in eye drops for dogs, and the dosage is much lower. I assume it must be used to reduce inflammation. But it’s worth asking your vet to try something else, even temporarily, to see if it helps. The mechanism is probably different, but in humans tacrolimus is metabolized in such as way that dosing is not universal. I don’t have experience with it in dogs, but DS has taken tacrolimus for 8 years. His side affects are always related to dosing, and he is famous for unusual side affects. Since the dose of tacrolimus in eye drops is low, I wonder if tacrolimus is possibly an mdr1 drug?

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
I could have sworn I read something about immunosuppressants and mdr1 not that long ago, when we were discussing something related to doses of ivermectin for mdr1. It might have been about chemotherapy? I can’t find it now. The thing is, tacrolimus causes neurological symptoms at high doses in humans, and most of the mdr1 drugs have neurotoxicity in common. I can’t prove it, but I don’t think it’s as far fetched as it seems to suspect the eye drops. I would really ask about trying different drops for comparison. Does your breeder know if there has been occurrence of mdr1 in their dogs? It’s not super common in Havanese but common enough that most breeder consider Havanese to be drug sensitive.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Sorry, we were posting at the same time and I was trying to find it. Mdr1 is a genetic mutation where certain drugs can cause neurotoxicity and side affects as if they were given much higher doses of the medication. It’s well known in specific breeds but not as common in Havanese. The reason it’s bugging me is I remember being surprised at how many of the drugs on the list are medications I’m familiar with because of DS

Mdr1

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dusty has been taking Ondansetron for nausea along with Cerenia from when he stopped eating the first time. He doesn’t seem to have a problem with it and started eating again the first time after being put on it. Once he gets his ultrasound, I’ll talk to the vet about lowering and or taking him off some of the meds for his stomach. I don’t know what DS is?

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
I just found it, the study I remember reading was with regard to humans. It reminded me that at the time I read it I had never heard of mdr1 in humans. Tacrolimus in humans is definitely impacted by mdr1. However I can’t find more information about it in dogs. Cyclosporine is listed as a drug that works with the same mechanism (p-glycoprotein) but is safe. Tacrolimus is also a p-glycoprotein but I can’t find any data that suggests whether any studies have been done on it regarding dogs at all. If I had to guess, it’s because the dosage in the eye drops is so low. My point is that if I’m being completely honest, normally I would say, correlation isn’t causation. But I think there is a possibility there’s a connection, and it’s worth asking your vet if it’s possible to try different drops.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dusty has an appointment next week with the eye dr. She originally suggested he stop the Tacrolimus. I’ll see what else she suggests. Right now I’m just using Optixcare Lube four times a day to keep his eyes moist.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
What are you currently feeding Dusty?

I just noticed yesterday that our local Costco is now carrying Fresh Pet in a refrigerated cooler. I may give that a try for Ricky just out of curiosity (I already know he will like it - he likes everything!)

Good fortune to you and Dusty and keep us posted on your progress.
Be careful with Fresh Pet… Make sure you check the dates. I’ve found that some stores are not good about taking past-date food off the shelves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts