Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of hair clips or pony tail holders does everyone use?

Sofie's hair is getting very long around the top and sides. I tried a pony tail holder for people the other day and it wasn't long before she rubbed it out!! What kind of clip will stay put and what is the best way to get your Hav to tolerate it being left in?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I use clear tiny elastic bands that I get at Sally's Beauty Supply. If I twist them 4 times around the ponytail they tend to stay in. I have tried other little clips but Leo won't leave them in place. Also, they look a little girly for him.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Look in the infant dept @ Walmart. They have the cutest little clips & bows that are the perfect size. Also the little teeny elastic bands in clear & in colors. I usually cut them out at the end of the day to minimize hair breakage. There's like 500 in a pkg.

·
Canela, Vino & Jack's Mom
693 Posts
Cannoli didn't care for clips either; the second I put them on her she would run off and take them off. I bought human bands, but they seem too heavy for her hair and she would take those off too. I finally found these bands: http://www.puppybows.com/latexbandsorderpage.htm

The bands aren't too thick or thin. I bought the ¼" for the front since her hair is kind of thin and the 3/8 for the back part or for the times I do a quick knot. They take about 2 twists to get a nice fit. I bought the neon package; I really like the pink and orange color bands. They also carry solid black, clear and whites too. Oh, don't forget to buy the little scissors to cut them off.

For the clips I would use this website: http://www.bowbizdogbows.com

Attachments

·
Registered
781 Posts
i tried lots of different bands but couldn't get them to stay in, i went to a dog show and a havanese breeder gave me some Sally bands and told me they were the best. i bought some and she was right. i also cut them out so i break too much hair. The trick is to not pull them too tight so the dog isn't bothered by them. another thing i've done is use small alligator clips, they pull less and hold the hair up, and my dog seemed to tolerate them better than elastics when she was younger.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alligator clips with teeth? Can they be purchased at a store or must they be ordered online?

·
Registered
642 Posts
How cute is Cannoli's hair!!! I haven't tried that look yet, but will now. I can't tell how you're weaving the 2 front pony ends into the back one. Need a tutorial!!

·
693 Posts
How cute is Cannoli's hair!!! I haven't tried that look yet, but will now. I can't tell how you're weaving the 2 front pony ends into the back one. Need a tutorial!!
Pat, Thank You - I've never done a tutorial but its pretty much the first two front tails twisted with a 3rd band holding it and fourth band holding it all down. After I'm done I loosen the bands next to her eyes, I don't want them to pull on her hair. I got the idea from this handsome fellow ….

OBTW, the cutest hairstyle I have ever seen on a Havi was when I went to play date at Kara's house aka Thumper. (She had a very lovely house and real nice pool). Kara had Gucci's hair in little braids, cutest thing ever! - I've tried to duplicate it but doesn't look the same.

..maybe Kara can post a pix :p

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Did your dogs just tolerate you putting their hair up our did it take time for them to get used to it? Lucy bats at my hands and tosses her head back and forth. If I get anything attached to the top if her head it looks awful. Eerrrrrr

·
693 Posts
It took Cannoli a couple times (probably about a week) before she got use to it. Now she knows that's the last step before she gets a treat.

The first couple top knots weren't pretty at all but I would do a quick one give her a treat and let her go run around. A couple hours later, I would take it down and do another quick one, she wouldn't squirm as much but I still gave her a treat after I was done. Just so she would get use to it eventually she did get use to it.

Just like everyone has said in other threads, do it late at night when she is tired, you might get lucky and she will fall asleep on you.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks, Cannoli's mom! I'll give it a try. Glad to see a top view. That helps a lot!

I do Kallie's pony(s) 1st thing in the morning after outside potty. She runs to the laundry room door straight away, because I fix her hair with her on top of the dryer. It took a few times in the beginning for her to learn to stand still & let me work on her top-knot. But you can practice anytime. Put it up, leave it for a while, take it out & repeat. Who cares what it looks like in the beginning? You're just teaching them to let you do it & leave it alone.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I could NEVER find clips that would stay in .. as soon and she 'fluffed' out after combing, the clips would go flying! ha ha :)
I also use the small plastic bands for when i NEED her hair to stay PUT, for every day use I use childrens terry cloth pony holders. my daughter, Tillie and I share. :D

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,205 Posts
BWAHAHAHAHA! I tried putting tiny little clips in Fezzik's hair. I was having a hard time seeing his eyes while we attempt to do our training homework. The clip I used yesterday worked better than today's but it was so old I don't remember where I got it. Then he lost it outside. Today's attempt lasted 60 seconds before he got into a wrestling match with the cat. I guess I am going to try elastics.

Grooming elastics or Terry covered ones? Fezzik has silky fine hair.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,205 Posts
Round Two: teeny tiny itty bitty elastics. OMG! How the heck do you get the elastics in? Is there a trick?
I think I need a video lesson.
fail....
The latest attempt. It is doofy but is staying in.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,251 Posts
Round Two: teeny tiny itty bitty elastics. OMG! How the heck do you get the elastics in? Is there a trick?
I think I need a video lesson.
View attachment 174084 fail....
View attachment 174086 The latest attempt. It is doofy but is staying in.
OMG he looks adorable! You just keep working on it! (And they keep pulling them out, so you get LOTS of practice!) eventually they relent and leave them alone!

Reactions: Mando's Mommy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts