Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone 😊 A while ago when I was drying Toffee’s paws, I noticed some dark red ( almost burgundy / maroon) coloured hair under his paws between his toes. My first thought was dried blood stain from a pad injury I’d somehow missed 😳 Further investigation discovered he had this coloured hair between all his toes. I don’t have the knowledge and experience some of you on this forum have with the Havanese variations of coat colours. Is this common, do anyone else's dogs have it? I think Toffee is ‘sable’?. Charlie is very similar in colour to Toffee does he have this dark red hair?
Hand Dog Dog breed Gesture Carnivore

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Reddish color CAN be yeast or staining… It also CAN be the color of the hair if the dog has red hair! I can’t remember, but I don’t remember him as being red??? Never mind! I see in your sig photo that he is sable. So no, it is much more likely that the red is either staining or yeast. Ducky has red hair in some places between his toes, but he IS a red and white dog.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Charlie has had it before, and while he does have some red in his coat, on the feet it is staining for him— usually if he starts licking his paws (which can contribute to this), it’s when environmental allergies are in full swing, so we give him half a Zyrtec, which a vet recommended years ago.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for such helpful responses 💐Until our recent really dry spell we would be walking on wet grass every day, so staining sounds most likely ✅ He doesn’t lick his paws much, except when I treat his pads with oatmeal paw butter 🙄 Good tip to keep an eye on them for a yeast infection though! I didn't know about that, so thank you all so much. I‘ve said it before and I’ll say it again…this forum has the BEST Havanese experience and knowledge in it’s members 🤩

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Thank you all for such helpful responses 💐Until our recent really dry spell we would be walking on wet grass every day, so staining sounds most likely ✅ He doesn’t lick his paws much, except when I treat his pads with oatmeal paw butter 🙄 Good tip to keep an eye on them for a yeast infection though! I didn't know about that, so thank you all so much. I‘ve said it before and I’ll say it again…this forum has the BEST Havanese experience and knowledge in it’s members 🤩

It's not a yeast "INFECTION", really, it's just yeast that grows on the hair and causes the color change. It's not a cause for worry in any case!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
Keeping paw pads trimmed up can help. Mia needs hers trimmed up every couple weeks. I was wondering why the oatmeal paw pad butter is being used regularly. Dogs sweat through their paw pads. So in hot summer months this could cause problems. Oatmeal also feeds yeast.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keeping paw pads trimmed up can help. Mia needs hers trimmed up every couple weeks. I was wondering why the oatmeal paw pad butter is being used regularly. Dogs sweat through their paw pads. So in hot summer months this could cause problems. Oatmeal also feeds yeast.
I use the paw butter maybe once a fortnight and quite sparingly, so hopefully that doesn’t interfere with sweating though them? The hair on his pads is trimmed about every 3 weeks, but I can always trim it more often. Thank you for the advice mudpuppymama 👍😁

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
I use the paw butter maybe once a fortnight and quite sparingly, so hopefully that doesn’t interfere with sweating though them? The hair on his pads is trimmed about every 3 weeks, but I can always trim it more often. Thank you for the advice mudpuppymama 👍😁
WHY do you use the paw butter though? I haven't used it in 13 years and have never felt the need...

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
I have never used paw butter in 14 years and that includes pavement and non pavement walking. I thought it was sometimes used in winter on dogs who are outdoors alot in harsh climates like sled dogs. I think paw pads are rough by nature. They are really quite amazing. I think it is important for the glands in the paw pads to be able to breathe in the hot summer months, however I am definitely not an expert on using it. One thing critical is to avoid walking on hot pavement. That is not good for paws but paw butter is not meant for that. Dogs should not be walking on hot pavement period. I would definitely avoid a paw butter with oatmeal if yeast is an issue.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Much of our walking is on pavements and gravel paths to get to anywhere grassy. His pads can sometimes feel a bit rough and dry and the paw butter just seems to condition them.
We do lots of walking on pavement. I like my dogs' paws to toughen up. That's what we do with horses' hooves too!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
I usually do nails every week. At that time I check to see if paw pads need trimming too. Mia needs paw pad trimming more often than my Yorkie. Frequency could vary by dog but good to check often IMO. Not sure about the paw butter interfering with sweating, however I wouldn't take the chance. As @krandall said, I want my dogs to have tough paw pads. Paw butter seems unnecessary and defeat the purpose unless there is something really unique about your dog's pads.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually do nails every week. At that time I check to see if paw pads need trimming too. Mia needs paw pad trimming more often than my Yorkie. Frequency could vary by dog but good to check often IMO. Not sure about the paw butter interfering with sweating, however I wouldn't take the chance. As @krandall said, I want my dogs to have tough paw pads. Paw butter seems unnecessary and defeat the purpose unless there is something really unique about your dog's pads.
Certainly no walking on hot pavements, particularly relevant at the moment as we’re having daily temps up to 38 degrees Centigrade at the moment. Morning walks shifted to 7 am and last little walk around 10 pm when it’s cooled down.
Definitely nothing unique about Toffs pads, so taking onboard your advice 👍😊

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
Certainly no walking on hot pavements, particularly relevant at the moment as we’re having daily temps up to 38 degrees Centigrade at the moment. Morning walks shifted to 7 am and last little walk around 10 pm when it’s cooled down.
Definitely nothing unique about Toffs pads, so taking onboard your advice 👍😊
Hot pavement has been one of my main concerns with paws. Temps here this week are over 100F. Sounds like you are doing a great job of protecting bepaws from hot pavement. At our previous house all roads were paved so most walking was on pavement. Where I live now the roads are all gravel which seems even harder on paws but mine don't seem to mind! Paw pads are tough!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's been a while since I checked the Havanese Forum. This discussion sparked my interest as Myles also has the same issue. It's on all 3 paws. Sometimes, he licks like crazy and lately he stopped. I read a couple of articles and they say its definitely yeast infection. I haven't taken him to the Vet yet because he's due to have his vaccines soon so figure I go in one shot. One article from an online Vet suggested to use Apple Cider vinegar diluted with water as a paw soak. Has anyone tried this before?

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
It's been a while since I checked the Havanese Forum. This discussion sparked my interest as Myles also has the same issue. It's on all 3 paws. Sometimes, he licks like crazy and lately he stopped. I read a couple of articles and they say its definitely yeast infection. I haven't taken him to the Vet yet because he's due to have his vaccines soon so figure I go in one shot. One article from an online Vet suggested to use Apple Cider vinegar diluted with water as a paw soak. Has anyone tried this before?
I haven't seen anything that convinced me that ACV really does anything, but it can't hurt either, so there is that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't seen anything that convinced me that ACV really does anything, but it can't hurt either, so there is that!
I will give it a shot but I have a feeling it will not be a miracle quick fix. It might take some time.
The cause could also be from allergies, as I posted in other categories.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
I am not sure if ACV works, however it will burn if the skin is irritated or broken. I know some who recommend soaking yeasty paws in a mild solution of betadine and water. They say it helps with yeast and will not burn. Please do your own research on this for more information.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts