Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I haven't seen anything that convinced me that ACV really does anything, but it can't hurt either, so there is that!
So, in a previous post there was a recommendation for 4 Legger products for dogs and I recently managed to find a supplier here in the UK. i got one of their shampoos and this rinse, which is relevant to the discussion below. I imagine it might sting though if the skin is already irritated and sore?
Brown Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Fluid

·
Metrowest, MA
31,477 Posts
I am not sure if ACV works, however it will burn if the skin is irritated or broken. I know some who recommend soaking yeasty paws in a mild solution of betadine and water. They say it helps with yeast and will not burn. Please do your own research on this for more information.
one problem with betadine is that it will DEFINITELY stain white paws red!

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
So, in a previous post there was a recommendation for 4 Legger products for dogs and I recently managed to find a supplier here in the UK. i got one of their shampoos and this rinse, which is relevant to the discussion below. I imagine it might sting though if the skin is already irritated and sore?
View attachment 178349
If it is diluted correctly it may be fine. I would ask the company about this.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
one problem with betadine is that it will DEFINITELY stain white paws red!
If a dog has yeasty paws they will be discolored anyway. I think the purpose of this is to stop the yeast and itching and put the dog out of its misery. If diluted to a weak tea level maybe the staining is not that bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone 😊 A while ago when I was drying Toffee’s paws, I noticed some dark red ( almost burgundy / maroon) coloured hair under his paws between his toes. My first thought was dried blood stain from a pad injury I’d somehow missed 😳 Further investigation discovered he had this coloured hair between all his toes. I don’t have the knowledge and experience some of you on this forum have with the Havanese variations of coat colours. Is this common, do anyone else's dogs have it? I think Toffee is ‘sable’?. Charlie is very similar in colour to Toffee does he have this dark red hair?
View attachment 178324
My vet told me the reddish color is from an enzyme in my dogs saliva; he is golden sable parti (white).

When Havs lick their paws the enzyme in his saliva produces the reddish color. It has to grow out. A solution to the high temps.

I walk my Hav in the mornings between 6:45am to 7am until before or around 8am.

I allow him to walk in water from neighbors sprinklers and on neighbors right of way grass. I come home and rinse and dry his feet.

Then he eats and drinks water. No more walking after his morning walk. On most days he naps until noon.

We are receiving temps above 100° in Oklahoma. He turns 3 on July 28.

PetSmart has a cream for paws…does not take much just rub it onto his paws. BURT’S BEES for dogs
Paw & Nose relieving lotion. It comes in a yellow tube.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone 😊 A while ago when I was drying Toffee’s paws, I noticed some dark red ( almost burgundy / maroon) coloured hair under his paws between his toes. My first thought was dried blood stain from a pad injury I’d somehow missed 😳 Further investigation discovered he had this coloured hair between all his toes. I don’t have the knowledge and experience some of you on this forum have with the Havanese variations of coat colours. Is this common, do anyone else's dogs have it? I think Toffee is ‘sable’?. Charlie is very similar in colour to Toffee does he have this dark red hair?
View attachment 178324

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
My vet told me the reddish color is from an enzyme in my dogs saliva; he is golden sable parti (white).

When Havs lick their paws the enzyme in his saliva produces the reddish color. It has to grow out. A solution to the high temps.

I allow him to walk in water from neighbors sprinklers and on neighbors right of way grass. I come home and rinse and dry his feet.

Then he eats and drinks water. No more walking after his morning walk. On most days he naps until noon.

PetSmart has a cream for paws…does not take much just rub it onto his paws. BURT’S BEES for dogs
Temps are over 100 here also. The dogs like laying in the AC. They don’t even like walking early. Time for indoor games!

Licking will cause discoloration, however the question is why are they licking. Some licking is likely normal, however excessive licking could mean yeast or allergies.

As far as paw balm, I would think it is used for dry or cracked paw pads. The question I would ask is why are the dog’s paw pads dry or cracked. If they are, I would try to address the root cause of the problem. I don’t think it is normal for a dog to have dry or cracked paw pads. Perhaps some dogs need paw balm. I just have never seen a need for it in my dogs in spite of all the walking they have done. They also dig in hard clay soil which is tough on paws.

·
Registered
7 Posts

FYI

View attachment 178368

Due to your picture above is why we walk on the neighbors “right of way” and walk in the running water from sprinkler systems.

I also check for sand burs (stickers) due to some neighbors do not use weed control on their lawns.

Evidently, 3 months ago he got a splinter from a pulled out sticker (sand burr) and took him to the vet to treat and when I learned that his saliva has an enzyme that changes his white paws to red when he licks it. We thought the red coloring was dried blood. Now we know.

We walk in the coolest part of the day—morning before 8am….and I pick him up when we cross the street. Comfortable temps in AM before 8am with nice breeze. He loves his walks… if he chooses to walk on pavement I allow it…he knows if too hot! What concerns me is pavement can cause rough paws. Why I apply the Burt’s Bees after a walk even in winter.

When we come home I sit him at the kitchen sink and rinse off his paws using spray faucet and then dry his paws. I apply Burt’s Bees to his paws.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
@GrannaK Sounds like you are doing a great job of looking after the paws. My dogs seem to be a little more sensitive to the heat now that they are 13 and 14. Mia has always been more hot blooded than my yorkie. The mornings tend to be cooler but humid and I don’t think she likes that. We all have to do what works for our particular dog. If you feel the paw balm provides benefit, then that is what matters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So, after thorough examination by vet, she concluded he is very healthy but indications are he may have a seasonal allergy. Our early morning walk is on very, very dry grass and really dry weather means there’s loads of seeds and pollen about. She’s prescribed Apoquel and Piriton, Otrivine to wipe inside left ear(also has bit of same reddish coloring but not infected) and to dip his feet after morning walk and washing them, in diluted Hibiscrub. She also cleared his anal glands which were very full!! It was my first experience of that…Phew, it stank 😣 He seems none the wiser, was very well behaved and is very comfortable today 👍😊

·
Member (Teresa)
1,101 Posts
I will give it a shot but I have a feeling it will not be a miracle quick fix. It might take some time.
The cause could also be from allergies, as I posted in other categories.
Hi ApexMyles, have you been doing the ACV soak yet? Just curious because Cotton has always been a paw licker. He was an abused Havanese from a puppy mill and that was one of his coping mechanisms. I was focused on his anxiety and emotional behavior mod for a couple years. I always have Braggs ACV on hand because I use it in the homemade beef broth I make to rehydrate their freeze-dried food. We're fine with Cotton's rust colored paws but if ACV might work, what the heck. Like Karen stated, it might be pointless but it certainly won't hurt to try.

·
Member (Teresa)
1,101 Posts
View attachment 178349
I'm curious about this too Toffee. Have you tried it yet? I did giggle when I read that the second ingredient is organic vodka. If it doesn't work on the dogs maybe it could help me be more relaxed about it😋

·
Metrowest, MA
31,477 Posts
If it is REALLY important to you to get stains out of white fur, this shampoo really DOES work, WITHOUT damaging the hair. The caveat is that it is NOT a "quick fix". (nothing is ever easy, right? ;) ) This is what the Pros who show Westies and Bichons use on their stained areas. It is an enzymatic shampoo. It does not have bleaches or colorants in it that can damage hair. The hard part is that you need to heat it up in the microwave before using it, paint it on the affected areas, wrap the dog in a towel for... I can't remember how long... a few minutes, and then rinse out like a regular shampoo. (you can also use it normally on the rest of the coat) But it can take a NUMBER of treatments to get the stains out of badly stained hair.

Reactions: JaJa

·
Registered
893 Posts
If it is REALLY important to you to get stains out of white fur, this shampoo really DOES work, WITHOUT damaging the hair. The caveat is that it is NOT a "quick fix". (nothing is ever easy, right? ;) ) This is what the Pros who show Westies and Bichons use on their stained areas. It is an enzymatic shampoo. It does not have bleaches or colorants in it that can damage hair. The hard part is that you need to heat it up in the microwave before using it, paint it on the affected areas, wrap the dog in a towel for... I can't remember how long... a few minutes, and then rinse out like a regular shampoo. (you can also use it normally on the rest of the coat) But it can take a NUMBER of treatments to get the stains out of badly stained hair.

@krandall can this only be used on white hair or will it get stains from other light colored hair?

·
Member (Teresa)
1,101 Posts

Well gee Karen, you could've just led with that😆 I'm working on a new puppy amazon order right now. Actually, warming it in the microwave would work better for Cotton. Being the world's best snuggler Cotton would love to have warm feet and be wrapped in a towel. A warm towel and snuggling on the couch is how I dry him after a bath. Considering I spent almost a decade trying to get rid of Cotton's tear stains this process seems like a piece of cake😋

·
Metrowest, MA
31,477 Posts
@krandall can this only be used on white hair or will it get stains from other light colored hair?
It will work on any light-colored hair. It’s just that white hair shows the stains the worst.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm curious about this too Toffee. Have you tried it yet? I did giggle when I read that the second ingredient is organic vodka. If it doesn't work on the dogs maybe it could help me be more relaxed about it😋
😂 I hadn’t picked up on the organic vodka content. I’m using up some stuff I’ve got before I try it, so I’ll let you know what it’s like. Otherwise I may, like you suggest, drink it 🍸🤣

21 - 40 of 44 Posts