Havanese Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a small hand vacuum that’s good at picking up hair?

We recently got new sofas (after waiting a really long time for them) and I’m trying to find a new system to care for them. My old ones were chenille and I used a lint brush every day or so, which easily picked up most of the hair, but I still needed to vacuum the backs frequently because hair became embedded easily. Not just from Sundance, but also from my teenage daughter with very long hair. The new upholstery is smooth and the hair doesn’t get stuck in it, it sort of floats around, and the lint brush can’t grip it. I do not plan to get out a full size vacuum every day, but Sundance does seem to leave a lot of hair around. I have found the easiest way to keep it off all of my black shirts is to swipe the back of the sofa when I tidy up the family room each day. It also saves me from more deep cleaning after it spreads. Any suggestions for something small enough to store nearby? I found a few options but the reviews don’t really address picking up hair.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I have a Dyson Humdinger. It has an upholstery attachment, which seems to work well. Good luck finding something you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also recommend the Dyson. I've had my cordless Dyson for at least 7 years. Maybe longer. They are more expensive than other cordless vacs but I think are worth it in the long run. I had other hand vacs in the past but they never last long. I do put an upholstery attachment on mine and it works really well.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I’m pretty sure the Dyson is too big to store where I need it, if it’s similar in size to the Animal broken down. I do have a good vacuum, but getting it out every day is a hassle and would be frustrating to me. I use a stick vac in the kitchen and for the rug under my dining table and it’s been going strong for 3 years, but I can’t turn off the beater bar on the brush attachment and it doesn’t work as well without it. It doesn’t replace a real vacuum, and I don’t expect a hand vac too, either, but it’s really convenient. My husband wants to replace it with an Animal when it dies. We’re weird vacuum people, haha.

I hate sticky lint brushes but I might just resort to that. Or one of those USB vacuums that fits in a glove compartment? My old routine was so simple but it did work well for me, it was a minute a day that really kept hair from spreading. I had gold hairs all over me last week, so I can tell the difference!

·
Registered
570 Posts
We use a handheld Dyson. Two of our sofas are velvet chesterfield style (with the buttons set into the back of the seat) and I use a damp cloth to wipe round those to remove any dust…not nearly as often as I should😳😘. Will be interesting to see if anyone the else has a trusted method that works!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
Thanks! I’m pretty sure the Dyson is too big to store where I need it, if it’s similar in size to the Animal broken down. I do have a good vacuum, but getting it out every day is a hassle and would be frustrating to me. I use a stick vac in the kitchen and for the rug under my dining table and it’s been going strong for 3 years, but I can’t turn off the beater bar on the brush attachment and it doesn’t work as well without it. It doesn’t replace a real vacuum, and I don’t expect a hand vac too, either, but it’s really convenient. My husband wants to replace it with an Animal when it dies. We’re weird vacuum people, haha.

I hate sticky lint brushes but I might just resort to that. Or one of those USB vacuums that fits in a glove compartment? My old routine was so simple but it did work well for me, it was a minute a day that really kept hair from spreading. I had gold hairs all over me last week, so I can tell the difference!
We solved the problem with leather couches! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: GoWithTheFlo

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I intended to do leather! The last time we bought sofas before this was 10 years ago and apparently the price of leather has increased significantly. Or I remembered wrong? I’ve owned cars that cost less than some of them, and they weren’t even designer brands. I have a spot for a leather chair if I ever recover from this purchase, though ;)

I had to stick with specific dimensions and when I finally found the right size within our budget i learned the lead time was 9 months. Then I wasted a couple more months looking for something else before I gave up and ordered them. They were still months from delivery when the old ones finally gave out and we had to go get an IKEA loveseat, one of the few in stock. At least we needed something for the loft so we moved it there when they finally came. But the temporary sofa was very small and awkward for Sundance to see out the window! I think I have a picture somewhere, it’s pretty funny. Anyway, I’m glad to have them, and they have legitimately “pet proof” fabric, so that’s good. I know I will not be replacing these for a very long time, but I don’t want to be someone who doesn’t live on the furniture, and Sundance will always be allowed on it.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,949 Posts
I intended to do leather! The last time we bought sofas before this was 10 years ago and apparently the price of leather has increased significantly. Or I remembered wrong? I’ve owned cars that cost less than some of them, and they weren’t even designer brands. I have a spot for a leather chair if I ever recover from this purchase, though ;)

I had to stick with specific dimensions and when I finally found the right size within our budget i learned the lead time was 9 months. Then I wasted a couple more months looking for something else before I gave up and ordered them. They were still months from delivery when the old ones finally gave out and we had to go get an IKEA loveseat, one of the few in stock. At least we needed something for the loft so we moved it there when they finally came. But the temporary sofa was very small and awkward for Sundance to see out the window! I think I have a picture somewhere, it’s pretty funny. Anyway, I’m glad to have them, and they have legitimately “pet proof” fabric, so that’s good. I know I will not be replacing these for a very long time, but I don’t want to be someone who doesn’t live on the furniture, and Sundance will always be allowed on it.
We have had three sets of living room furniture in 40 years. Our first set was lovely, and oh so NOT for kids. The couch was pale blue and the wing chair we had with it was white. When the kids came along, and it was clear that they would ruin those, we sold them and bought a GREAT This End Up couch and love seat. We also reconfigured our at that point very small house, giving up a mostly unused formal living room for a dining room for big family meals and just a big family room or great room. The This End Up furniture was comfortable and TOTALLY indestructible, and looked fine in this less formal setting. When we did our most recent addition/reno, we moved that couch into my husband’s new office, though replaced the cushions. We gave the love seat to one of the boys when they moved out.

So… It was time to get “grown-up furniture” again, but now we had dogs! No more white couches! LOL! And we were used to our more informal great room, so decided that leather was a good option. And this WAS 10 years afo, so probably less than you were facing now. Also, we weren’t in a crunch… we had the luxury of being able to take our time. I looked a LONG time and a LOT of places. I finally walked into a “basement” warehouse for a top-end furniture store, and they had a set I LOVED on sale. I couldn’t believe it! I told the salesman that I wanted them. He said he was sorry, but they were out of stock, and they weren’t getting any more in. I asked if I couldn’t buy the floor models. He looked at me like I had two heads. I asked if I could speak to his manager. The manager was brought over. I asked HIM if I could buy the floor models. He said, “I can only give you 25% off…” I said “Sold!”

And yes, dogs are allowed. :LOL:
Plant Furniture Couch Picture frame Property

1 - 10 of 10 Posts