Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought three different harnesses and somehow my 16-week-old puppy is still managing to choke herself on each one. She is a big puller (to be expected - she's so young and we're working on leash training) so i often do the thing where when she pulls, I stop walking. She still persistently pulls forward and often ends up choking herself. It's frustrating because i've specifically used a harness to protect her throat but it seems she's still mangaing to choke herself somehow.

I've tried:

The puppia over the head one

The voyager step through one

and the latest one: the gooby comfort x:

I don't get it. People with middle aged/senior dogs with collapsed tracheas are raving in the reviews of the gooby, yet somehow my healthy 16-week-old puppy is still managing to choke herself with all of the above harnesses when she pulls.

Can anyone help me find a harness that will protect her from hurting herself? =(

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I use a harness that has both front and back clips for the leash. When the leash is clipped in front it is designed to stop your dog from pulling. Once they walk nicely on the harness you can change to the back clip if you like. The one I have was recommended to me by my breeder and Molly has used it for over seven years. It is called Walk In Sync.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a harness that has both front and back clips for the leash. When the leash is clipped in front it is designed to stop your dog from pulling. Once they walk nicely on the harness you can change to the back clip if you like. The one I have was recommended to me by my breeder and Molly has used it for over seven years. It is called Walk In Sync.
Thanks. Looking over the Walk In Sync now. I'm assuming Molly uses the smallest size, the XS?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Molly was 3.4 lbs when I got her. She is almost 9 pounds now and still wears the same size as it is adjustable.
Thanks. Yesterday Piper weighed in at 5.68lbs - she's also likely going to be on the small end of the breed spectrum her breeder thinks (maybe 10lbs). I think maybe these harnesses i've been trying with her don't fit properly and are riding up high on her neck/chest area when she pulls which is causing the choking/coughing when she determinedly pulls forward while I'm standing still. I like how the Walk in Sync straps seems adjustable. I'll have to give it a shot!

·
Marion
56 Posts
Our Aussie mix is a terrible puller, and we got him a harness with the front clip. The pulling stopped immediately. I'm going to look into the same style for Finley; her pulling isn't quite as bad as what you describe, but she still does it. Her harness doesn't shift up to her throat though, so it's not quite as urgent to make a switch.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We use the Petsafe 3 in1 which looks to be very similar to Molly’s with the additional front clip.

But what I really came to say is how sweet is puppy Molly🥰🥰🥰🥰don’t think I’ve seen her as a baby before!
I totally agree that Molly is precious! 😍

Is the 3-in-1 hard to put on? It looks a little complicated and I have to kind of wrestle with Mando as it is to put his Frisco harness on him. I need to get a front harness though since training him to walk on leash with just the back harness isn’t going so well. It could be user error on my part, too!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,216 Posts

Is the 3-in-1 hard to put on? It looks a little complicated and I have to kind of wrestle with Mando as it is to put his Frisco harness on him. I need to get a front harness though since training him to walk on leash with just the back harness isn’t going so well. It could be user error on my part, too!
It is not hard after you get used to it. You do not have to pull it over the head or lift the leg to get it on. The straps are labeled to help you. But as Karen suggested, as soon as you take it off, buckle the shoulder strap and leave the other straps unbuckled. This will avoid you scratching your head the next time you put it on trying to figure out what strap is what!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
I think the biggest thing is that you need to be working with her in a very small space, for very short periods of time on your loose leash walking until she is much better at it. Honestly, I had a terrible time teaching Kodi to walk on a loose leash because I tried to teach him ON A LEASH. Heck, that’s the way they teach it in typical puppy classes!

Then I found a wonderful trainer who taught me how to teach my dogs to work completely off leash. That is how I do all training now. Neither Pixel nor Panda ever had a leash on them for walking until

It’s not hard to put on, but I don’t believe it will fit a Havanese puppy. The smallest size, with the straps in the smallest positions, fits Pixel nicely, at 9.5 lbs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the biggest thing is that you need to be working with her in a very small space, for very short periods of time on your loose leash walking until she is much better at it. Honestly, I had a terrible time teaching Kodi to walk on a loose leash because I tried to teach him ON A LEASH. Heck, that’s the way they teach it in typical puppy classes!

Then I found a wonderful trainer who taught me how to teach my dogs to work completely off leash. That is how I do all training now. Neither Pixel nor Panda ever had a leash on them for walking until

It’s not hard to put on, but I don’t believe it will fit a Havanese puppy. The smallest size, with the straps in the smallest positions, fits Pixel nicely, at 9.5 lbs.
I wonder if it might fit on my big boy since he's already 9.8 lbs?

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Reactions: Mando's Mommy

·
Registered
271 Posts

Exactly what Mudpuppymama and Karen have said! Although even then I look a little perplexed if I have switched harnesses for a while🙄😂. But it is fine if you use it regularly and keep the shoulder strap clipped back up straight after taking it off…or get a degree in engineering😆😘

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Exactly what Mudpuppymama and Karen have said! Although even then I look a little perplexed if I have switched harnesses for a while🙄😂. But it is fine if you use it regularly and keep the shoulder strap clipped back up straight after taking it off…or get a degree in engineering😆😘
YES! The secret to that harness is to RE-clip the neck piece as you take the harness off. Then it is very obvious how to put it on. Otherwise it looks sort of like a bowl of spaghetti! LOL! The different straps ARE labeled but you will need to wear your glasses to read the labels!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Thanks. Yesterday Piper weighed in at 5.68lbs - she's also likely going to be on the small end of the breed spectrum her breeder thinks (maybe 10lbs). I think maybe these harnesses i've been trying with her don't fit properly and are riding up high on her neck/chest area when she pulls which is causing the choking/coughing when she determinedly pulls forward while I'm standing still. I like how the Walk in Sync straps seems adjustable. I'll have to give it a shot!
My little one is on the bigger side at 15lbs and is 3-years-old. She wears a Goodby Harness and I have others and she occasionally coughs if she pulls to hard with ALL of them. I haven't found a harness that hasn't made her cough if she's tugs hard on it. We don't walk everyday but we walk often and she's learned to not tug but at the beginning of the walk or if there's a Goose close by that she wants to chase she give the harness a tug.

I haven't tried the Walk in Sync Harness and might try it. However, the strap still comes around the neck and I don't know how this makes it better than another harness if you have the leash on the back.

It takes a while for them to learn to walk and not tug. Try the ring in front. I tried it for a while and didn't like it. As your dog gets older and the more often you walk she'll calm down.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My little one is on the bigger side at 15lbs and is 3-years-old. She wears a Goodby Harness and I have others and she occasionally coughs if she pulls to hard with ALL of them. I haven't found a harness that hasn't made her cough if she's tugs hard on it. We don't walk everyday but we walk often and she's learned to not tug but at the beginning of the walk or if there's a Goose close by that she wants to chase she give the harness a tug.

I haven't tried the Walk in Sync Harness and might try it. However, the strap still comes around the neck and I don't know how this makes it better than another harness if you have the leash on the back.

It takes a while for them to learn to walk and not tug. Try the ring in front. I tried it for a while and didn't like it. As your dog gets older and the more often you walk she'll calm down.
Thanks. I just bought the Walk In Sync so I'll report back when it gets here. Somewhat relieved to hear that others have experienced their pups making a choking or coughing sound when pulling on harnesses.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Thanks. I just bought the Walk In Sync so I'll report back when it gets here. Somewhat relieved to hear that others have experienced their pups making a choking or coughing sound when pulling on harnesses.
It’s not good though... you REALLY. Do want to train your dog to walk properly so that they do not pull on their throat, no matter what harness or collar you use. Once you have damaged their trachea, there is no going back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It’s not good though... you REALLY. Do want to train your dog to walk properly so that they do not pull on their throat, no matter what harness or collar you use. Once you have damaged their trachea, there is no going back.
No, I know. I meant that I was relieved that someone else has experienced this noise with harnesses - the internet has always made it seem that as long as you use a harness and not collar your dog shouldn't choke/cough when pulling. She's made that noise since day 1 which has led to me buying 3 different styles of harness with a 4th on the way. The last one I tried (the gooby) as soon as I did the "stand like a tree" thing and she made the noise while still pulling, I picked her up and took her home. Im not letting her make that noise to her hearts content while thinking it's no big deal. :)

Right now im not practicing walking her on a leash until I can try on one of the front-clip ones for training purposes. I don't want her to have any future issues so I've been trying to find and a good fit harness/harness style for her and am making loose leash training my main training focus atm. She actually doesn't pull and walks nicely around the house. Outside in NYC is another story, but I want to find something that will protect her from herself during this looooong process of practicing walking nicely.:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts