Havanese Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm still looking for reputable breeders. I'm on one waitlist but would like to get on others since I know that it may be a long time before my name will come up at Starborn Havanese (thanks, Pam!). Toward that end, has anyone heard of YuppyPuppy/Janet Birdsall at floridahavanesepuppies.com? I've found some really mixed reviews. Any help would be much appreciated, as always.

·
Desi’s Mom
402 Posts
I am in Florida and extensively researched breeders in the state. I narrowed the selection down to three breeders, Lordoc, Jangle Havanese and Honor Havanese. Desi is from Honor Havanese and we couldn’t be happier with our little boy. He is quite the head turner and everyone who meets him wants to take him home. Good luck with your search.

·
Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
3,453 Posts
He is quite the head turner and everyone who meets him wants to take him home.
Faith, it only gets worse as they get older. I had a biker guy politely approach me inside Home Depot when Ricky was about two y.o. - big beard and belly to match. He wanted to know if I was interested in selling Ricky to him. I politely declined, but thanks for the offer. I did allow him to cuddle with Ricky a little bit. Today, Ricky wants to go home with everyone he meets, but there is a catch, he wants to bring all his furever family with him! :grin2:

To the OP, it appears that no one is familiar with Yuppy Puppy. I would contact Florida Havanese Club for feedback on them and ask for references from the breeder. See what you come up with. It is odd that they claim to be the most Westminster winner, but no one here knows anything about them

Ricky's Popi

·
Registered
495 Posts
I googled Yuppy Puppy and it does sound legitimate, although some bizzare yelp recent reviews. Someone on this forum did recommend them here in 2014...so have been around and have a presence on web for a number of years, including some dog showing references.

Beyond that, others may have more thoughts on web site etc.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
Avoid Yuppy Puppy. I sent you a PM.

Reactions: Molly120213

·
Registered
495 Posts
Oh, yes...further google research turned up something rather unpleasant. Not directly related to havanese, but coupled with yelp reviews of bizzare experience, red flags on this one, as noted above.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm still looking for reputable breeders. I'm on one waitlist but would like to get on others since I know that it may be a long time before my name will come up at Starborn Havanese (thanks, Pam!). Toward that end, has anyone heard of YuppyPuppy/Janet Birdsall at floridahavanesepuppies.com? I've found some really mixed reviews. Any help would be much appreciated, as always.
[/QUOTE
P.M. me, I have a YP 13 year old YP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth -- I wanted to weigh in on Janet Birdsall. I have seen her reviews and have no trouble believing that she has clashed with a few people. However, I now have my third puppy from her. After the sheer perfection that was my first, I couldn't stay away. All three of my dogs have been so wonderful, loving, and engaging. The most fun, happy personalities, zero aggression, gorgeous, super smart. They love all people, our family especially, and we are constantly asked about them by admiring strangers. Our littlest one is just eight months. I thought the latest price was quite high - but that's supply and demand during the pandemic.

As far as things that have been posted via yelp, etc. IDK, maybe Janet had an argument with somebody, and they are getting back at her by attacking her business.
One reviewer that seemed legit wrote that she didn't want a white dog, and complained that Janet wouldn't sell her a sable puppy. Apparently this person couldn't process the fact that sable puppies change color, and some turn all white. I can also totally see Janet losing her temper this person. I was annoyed just reading that.

I might have ignored this conversation if I just had one dog from Janet. But with three that I wouldn't trade for the world - I had to add my two cents. I have also done a lot of reading on puppy training, so maybe it's a combination of everything. (I recommend that above all.) Good luck everyone.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
To be clear - Janet is the owner of Yuppy Puppy
There is no doubt that she has bred some very nice dogs. I don't think anyone would question that. My foundation bitch is the daughter of a Yup's dog that I admire a great deal. If you would like to take the conversation off the forum I would be willing to discuss it with you more.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
This breeder was mentioned somewhere else, on Facebook I think, and it was implied the concerns were about difficulty working with the breeder personally, not her dogs. However, people can have personal problems and work through them, though I have no idea if that’s the case. I have no idea about her current breeding practices, I just know that this name came up under unusual circumstances, so it might be useful to connect with someone who is more familiar with her personally.

* I debated adding this, but the reason I heard of this breeder is because around the time we got Sundance I told someone I know (who is not a dog person) that I was getting a Havanese and her response was,”Oh, I’ve heard of Havanese, because I know this completely crazy Havanese breeder!” Her experience really was crazy, but completely unrelated to dogs. Afterwards I looked up the breeder and there were some conversations on Facebook that were quite divided regarding this person. All of this is just people talking, so I am trying to be diplomatic, but when there is so much controversy surrounding a person I think it warrants caution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts