Havanese Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
Patti is the same way. She's interested in strangers and will say Hello! but wants NO TOUCHING. :grin2:
Whereas Kodi is ALL about the petting! If you stop, he whines and slaps you with his paw! LOL! Pixel is like that too, with "her peeps", but not with people outside the family. Panda just sighs, flops and presents her belly if people stop patting. It usually works. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I agree about not forcing dogs to accept strangers attentions, like I said this isn't my first dog! I have always had rescue dogs, and they have each come with their own issues.
Being new to toy breeds, I was simply wondering how others found them to react to/with children. All of my large rescue dogs who weren't brought up with children still loved them. I don't have much frame of reference about toy breeds and Havs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find it really fascinating how our Havanese are all such little love bugs but have such different personalities!

Greenleaf I guess you can gather from this that you would be unlucky to have a ‘snappy’ Havanese, if that was your worry about toy breeds. Although am also guessing that for most people to be interested in joining this forum it is because we really love our dogs, and want to learn about raising them correctly and enriching their lives, so are perhaps more unlikely to just shrug off bad behaviour and want to work on it - both in terms of how we treat our dogs and how we allow them to be treated by others.

What I wanted to ask is, those whose Havanese have bolder personalities did you find that correlates with cheekiness? So like I mentioned earlier, Flo is more nervous by nature, but she is also a little chill pill - she has never really run off with things that aren’t hers, chewed furniture etc etc. Are Havanese who are braver by nature also braver about being a bit ‘naughty’? Obviously I’d love to pretend that Flo’s angelic behaviour is down to my wonderful training:grin2:, and I guess there have been times where if she was interested in something she shouldn’t have, then I have taken it and substituted with something of hers with a “noooooo, this is Flo’s” but those times are rare, she’s just naturally a well behaved girl0:)

(Sorry for waffling on a bit...well done if you made it to the end!)

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
I agree about not forcing dogs to accept strangers attentions, like I said this isn't my first dog! I have always had rescue dogs, and they have each come with their own issues.
Being new to toy breeds, I was simply wondering how others found them to react to/with children. All of my large rescue dogs who weren't brought up with children still loved them. I don't have much frame of reference about toy breeds and Havs.
That may have been all you were asking, but this is The Havanese Forum. You'll get more :) You'd be surprised how many people are worried they are actually supposed to push a puppy to overcome fear! I was lucky to learn that early because my Hav was more cautious, but even an experienced owner with confident dogs might have never have that opportunity. Many people here are lifetime Havanese experts, but many are like me - my Havanese was not only my first Havanese, he was my first puppy and first dog ever! I have read countless threads and some of the most useful are like this, where everyone from expert to pet owner shares their experiences and what they learned, even if it's more than the simple answer. Which is pretty unanimous, Havanese are great with kids. Maybe your experience with your Havanese puppy will be different from your previous dog, not because it's a Havanese, but because it's a different time in your life. I'm always a bit in awe of the experienced dog owners who don't spend all of their time second guessing everything ;)

Our puppy was well socialized by the breeder, developed fantastic bite inhibition, and is responsive in play with children and people. To be completely honest I think beyond manners and house training kids need guidance more than the Havanese, and it's true of all dogs. I say this as someone with experience working with youth, not puppies :) Even in families with multiple dogs or puppies, each one is different, and kids are experiencing it at different ages. It's helpful to give refreshers and explanations even when kids are saying, "I know, I know." It doesn't have to be nagging, everyone needs refreshers sometimes. It's something I appreciate about the forum! We repeat a lot of the same advice, but I hear it in different ways. When everyone shares their experiences, I can both relate to and learn from them, and often stories remind me of what I want to work on with my Havanese.

As far as my own kids, it was their first dog, but one naturally read our dogs' body language and the other could see it when it was described. It still helped everyone to point it out. DS needed a lot of help with physical handling, even at 12. We didn't anticipate he wouldn't be able to pick up the puppy out of his expen because of his mobility issues. We had to problem solve and figured out how to open the expen a certain way and Sundance would climb up a bit and then DS could pick him up from there. We also spent a lot of time practicing handling and how to hold him. After DS accidentally let Sundance out using a different door after school and DS could not keep up (Sundance made a beeline for the park in our neighborhood and waited there at least) DS was especially motivated to play recall games. DD had hurt feelings a couple of times from puppy nipping she actively encouraged, so we worked through that. Both of my kids made a game out of letting Sundance pull off their socks, which they found hilarious unless it was time to leave for school. This is real life, everyone has blind spots. DH has a talent for choosing the worst possible play times, when Sundance has just calmed down or settled in, and he's an adult! I'm compulsive about training and work on certain things and then forget about them. And these are just the mistakes - "learning experiences" - I thought of quickly.

And.....Havanese are great with kids :)

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
AUUUGGGHHH!!! What is with the forum and all this re-loading of pages?!?!

I just typed out a long answer and it went away. I'll try again… Dogs is dogs. All breeds have unique attributes or no one would have bothered making them a breed. Among giant breeds, a Newfie is not the same as a Great Dane. Among herding breeds, anyone who thinks their new Border Collie pup is going to act like their old Old English Sheep Dog did is in for a RUDE surprise! Same with a Collie and a Tervuern, even though they are similar sized, herding group dogs. VERY different temperaments. So I don't really buy the "large dog temperament" thing. Since I am heavily involved with dog training, I am involved with people all the time who deal with dogs of ALL sizes with difficult temperaments. MANY of them are plenty big.

The same is true of toy breeds. They are as different as any other group of dogs. Havanese are NOTHING like Chihuahuas, who are NOTHING like Pekingese. To the inexperienced, Lhasas and Havanese might look quite similar. Anyone who has spent any time with both breeds can tell you how different the two breeds are. One breed was bred as independent temple watchdogs, the other as clever lady's companions. Both live up to their breeding.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
I find it really fascinating how our Havanese are all such little love bugs but have such different personalities!

Greenleaf I guess you can gather from this that you would be unlucky to have a 'snappy' Havanese, if that was your worry about toy breeds. Although am also guessing that for most people to be interested in joining this forum it is because we really love our dogs, and want to learn about raising them correctly and enriching their lives, so are perhaps more unlikely to just shrug off bad behaviour and want to work on it - both in terms of how we treat our dogs and how we allow them to be treated by others.

What I wanted to ask is, those whose Havanese have bolder personalities did you find that correlates with cheekiness? So like I mentioned earlier, Flo is more nervous by nature, but she is also a little chill pill - she has never really run off with things that aren't hers, chewed furniture etc etc. Are Havanese who are braver by nature also braver about being a bit 'naughty'? Obviously I'd love to pretend that Flo's angelic behaviour is down to my wonderful training:grin2:, and I guess there have been times where if she was interested in something she shouldn't have, then I have taken it and substituted with something of hers with a "noooooo, this is Flo's" but those times are rare, she's just naturally a well behaved girl0:)

(Sorry for waffling on a bit...well done if you made it to the end!)
Not sure they go together. Kodi was the one who was most likely to get into trouble, but he was also my first dog, so probably also had the most opportunity. I suspect I was much better at "puppy proofing" when the girls came along. But Kodi DEFINITELY was the most destructive of the three of mine as a puppy, for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
AUUUGGGHHH!!! What is with the forum and all this re-loading of pages?!?!

I just typed out a long answer and it went away.
DITTO!! ShamaMama complains about this. I just noticed the issue a few days ago. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! :frown2:

Is it because the owners are updating the web site? They need to work more!

I try and put comments in a Word document if its going to be long and then paste it. Or ... if it's long I try to remember to Ctl + All and Save it to Memory ...just in case or when the post disappears.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
DITTO!! ShamaMama complains about this. I just noticed the issue a few days ago. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! :frown2:

Is it because the owners are updating the web site? They need to work more!

I try and put comments in a Word document if its going to be long and then paste it. Or ... if it's long I try to remember to Ctl + All and Save it to Memory ...just in case or when the post disappears.
Yes, I knew Annie had complained about it, but it just started happening to me in the last day or two. It jumps around on the page so much that it's hard to even click on something! I think it's a bunch of ads that didn't use to even be there, loading in very slowly.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
And that's what I did the second time... I composed it in "Notes" and then cut and pasted it in. But what a chore! When I posted in this thread a couple of nights ago, I posted several photos, and they aren't there now. I did it from my laptop, so I can't even get to the photos from this desktop to go put them back in. GRRR.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
What I wanted to ask is, those whose Havanese have bolder personalities did you find that correlates with cheekiness? So like I mentioned earlier, Flo is more nervous by nature, but she is also a little chill pill - she has never really run off with things that aren't hers, chewed furniture etc etc. Are Havanese who are braver by nature also braver about being a bit 'naughty'?

Obviously I'd love to pretend that Flo's angelic behaviour is down to my wonderful training:grin2:, and I guess there have been times where if she was interested in something she shouldn't have, then I have taken it and substituted with something of hers with a "noooooo, this is Flo's" but those times are rare, she's just naturally a well behaved girl0:)
:surprise: WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? :surprise:​

Patti is always on the Hunt and Look Out for something to Play With (Steal). It's her Game of Chase ... I wanna Play. We know right away if she has a Treasure because she Runs like Hell to go under the bed where no one can reach her.

But, our Little Angle easily drops the thing in-exchange for a Treat! :x

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,175 Posts
Jack hated to picked up. He like pats as long as they were shoulder pats. I taught my kids never to loom over dogs, especially little dogs. Always aim for the shoulder. If you are familiar with the dog, they can work their way up from the shoulder to chin tickles and ear scratches.

·
Registered
64 Posts
:surprise: WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? :surprise:​

Patti is always on the Hunt and Look Out for something to Play With (Steal). It's her Game of Chase ... I wanna Play. We know right away if she has a Treasure because she Runs like Hell to go under the bed where no one can reach her.

But, our Little Angle easily drops the thing in-exchange for a Treat! :x
Lol:laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe God has decided I was due a break; when I was a lot younger our lovely little shih tzu used to love to run off with (used) panty liners from the unlidded bathroom bin:puke:...she did not give them up for a treat and turned from the sweetest soul into a wolf>:)

We now have pedal bins:wink2:

·
Learning Havanese!
14 Posts
My 3 year old granddaughter loves Kaya to death - meaning she understand the concept of being gentle and gives sweet hugs and pats, and Kaya welcomes those. Sometimes the three year old forgets and wants to chase Kaya. I have to put a stop to that because it's the loud toddler laughs and chasing that worries me. So we supervise!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
Lol:laugh2::laugh2:

Maybe God has decided I was due a break; when I was a lot younger our lovely little shih tzu used to love to run off with (used) panty liners from the unlidded bathroom bin:puke:...she did not give them up for a treat and turned from the sweetest soul into a wolf>:)

We now have pedal bins:wink2:
I do admit that we have pedal bins in EVERY room in the house where the trash isn't inside a cupboard or closet! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
One of your earlier posts about Kodi's "dumpster diving" is what motivated me to get new trash cans. :laugh2:

I must say that I'm loving this thread and learning so much from it all!
LOL! Glad to know my thieving pup is teaching others a thing or two!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
What is that blue thing on Fezzik's nose?

My latest forum problem is getting logged off. I can like a post, then when I try to like the next post, I'm told I need to log in again.

I'm glad I have an ad blocker and never see ads when I'm in the forum.

I liked that really long post by EvaE1izabeth about how you often get more response than you wanted/needed. You also get many side conversations. Sorry not sorry, I guess. I think it's fun ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Oh I don't mind the discussion getting derailed! Though tech talk is not as fun as puppy talk :)

Does anyone know what my breeder means when she calls my puppy a Black Irish? I have a hard time telling the pups in the litter apart in the pictures she sends, and she keeps saying it is the Black Irish one, which isn't helping!
I know what that means with humans, being that my grandparents were Irish, but I don't think that is what she means...

·
Metrowest, MA
26,663 Posts
Oh I don't mind the discussion getting derailed! Though tech talk is not as fun as puppy talk :)

Does anyone know what my breeder means when she calls my puppy a Black Irish? I have a hard time telling the pups in the litter apart in the pictures she sends, and she keeps saying it is the Black Irish one, which isn't helping!
I know what that means with humans, being that my grandparents were Irish, but I don't think that is what she means...
LOL! Black would be the base color. "Irish", in this context, is Irish Pied. That color pattern is the color pattern you see on Border Collies and other Collie breeds (although the genetics are not the same in Havanese), so typically, a white chest and more or less complete white "collar", a white blaze on the face white legs and feet (variable amounts) and a white tip on the tail.

Because the genes that make this pattern in Havanese are not the same as in Collies, the pattern is not as regular as what you see in Collies. In those breeds, while the collar might not be complete, the rest of the pattern of where the white occurs is pretty much the same. In Havanese, this is an expression of the same genes that produce parti, as far as we know right now. Then there are some, like my Panda, Who are like an "Irish Pied on steroids", where the white has gone even further. This has an actual name in the Italian Greyhound world, which a friend introduced me to, and I love it. So that's what I call Panda now. It's called "Wild Irish". LOL! (it fits her personality too! ;) )

·
Registered
64 Posts

Yes puppy talk is the best:smile2:

I'm not great with all the different official colour descriptions but if you have a look on havaneseabc.com Gallery 5 they give some examples of Black Irish Pied, which might help you recognise your pup better.

Am sure one of the others on here will be able to answer you really well, especially Karen who is really good at things like this!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts