Havanese Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Duke hates children.... he will growl and bark at a baby in a stroller that is even under the age of 1.... He was not raised around kids but I was told the breeder I got him from did have children. Most kids scare him at first and he aggressively barks. I need to tell the kid to ignore him "HE WONT BITE" he will never bite he is a run and hide first even when cornered. Once the kid is in the same room for a while then Duke will give interest and once they both realize there is no threat and the kid feeds him some treats he is FINE and then the kid and him and yelling chasing and playing games.

As you can see we have a baby on the way so this could be interesting! Duke is now 4 years old.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
Duke hates children.... he will growl and bark at a baby in a stroller that is even under the age of 1.... He was not raised around kids but I was told the breeder I got him from did have children. Most kids scare him at first and he aggressively barks. I need to tell the kid to ignore him "HE WONT BITE" he will never bite he is a run and hide first even when cornered. Once the kid is in the same room for a while then Duke will give interest and once they both realize there is no threat and the kid feeds him some treats he is FINE and then the kid and him and yelling chasing and playing games.

As you can see we have a baby on the way so this could be interesting! Duke is now 4 years old.
This made me laugh because Sundance hates strollers but loves babies (maybe because they're still) and then I started thinking. What would he think if he figured out those crazy rolling things in the distance have children in them?? It's easy enough to avoid them so I do, but it's really anything small and fast on wheels - bikes, scooters. He doesn't seem to mind slow moving strollers but there is a bike path in front of our house so we get a lot of jogging and bike strollers and he goes crazy! It's also confusing because sometimes he'll start barking and act like he's guarding but other times he's clearly excited and wants to go outside. I have no idea what makes some wheels threatening and some enticing. When we're actually outside, he'll bark if he sees a bike but if it gets too close he runs to my legs.

I made a list of all the things it never occurred to me to expose him to and I hope it will make socialization easier with my next puppy. The tea kettle is another one. I do think Sundance was socialized pretty well but I always sort of felt the pressure of trying to find ways to get him exposure to things before that ideal window closed. I mean, it's not possible or even necessary to expose them to every sound, because I assume if they're exposed to a lot of different things the whole point is they can handle a lot of different things in the future. But definitely things on wheels, brooms, vacuums, and tea kettles! Although Sundance is fine with the vacuum and broom now, he jumps up on the sofa where he can keep a good eye on it.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,659 Posts

So it really sounds like Duke is afraid of children he doesn't know, more than he "hates" them. ;)

·
Metrowest, MA
26,659 Posts
I made a list of all the things it never occurred to me to expose him to and I hope it will make socialization easier with my next puppy. The tea kettle is another one. I do think Sundance was socialized pretty well but I always sort of felt the pressure of trying to find ways to get him exposure to things before that ideal window closed. I mean, it's not possible or even necessary to expose them to every sound, because I assume if they're exposed to a lot of different things the whole point is they can handle a lot of different things in the future. But definitely things on wheels, brooms, vacuums, and tea kettles! Although Sundance is fine with the vacuum and broom now, he jumps up on the sofa where he can keep a good eye on it.
That sounds like a pretty adaptive response, actually! LOL!

The other thing is that there are sounds you just can't "manufacture" easily, or, by nature, are sudden and intermittent. (sneezes!) And some dogs just have their quirks about certain noises. Two of mine couldn't care LESS if we sneeze. Pixel comes running from where ever she is and has to CLIMB us and cover our face with kisses to make sure our face didn't explode after a sneeze. And hiccups make her shake. I know MANY other dogs that react this way to moth sneezes and hiccups, but it is FAR from universal. Why? Who knows! LOL!

I'll tell you two things that I will play for Panda's puppies while they are still in the whelping box are thunderstorms and fireworks, starting REALLY quiet, then working up, since I know these are things that bother MANY dogs, and also soundtracks from agility and obedience trials, since they have their own sets of startling noises (especially agility trials with barking hyped-up dogs, banging teeters and paws pounding through corrugated tunnels!)snd I hope at least some of these puppies end up in performance homes.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,175 Posts
What is that blue thing on Fezzik's nose?
My m-i-l stayed over for a couple of days. She had a new sweatshirt that had fleece on the inside. Apparently the reason why it was on sale was because the fleece sheds EVERYWHERE! Little blue specks of fuzz all over the house. Fezzik came out from behind the chair with one attached to his nose. Too cute not to snap a pic.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts