Havanese Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
HavaneseBaby
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

We have been Havanese owners since 2009.
We now have 3 lovely Havanese (2 boys and a girl).

I would like to learn about the show community and how to participate with my youngest.

I would also like to learn about solving problems like marking and chewing.

It would be great if there were some VA members that could give me some pointers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doggies need to have something they like to chew on available to them at all times, otherwise the couch looks like a giant chew toy to them.
If a dog is marking it is because there is an odor he can smell that is stimulating this. I used white vinegar, just spray in on the rug and leave for a couple days,oh if you know that the environment will dry, which we do in the desert. Anyway, something that takes away the smell will work. The dog is just responding to instinct and this cannot be corrected.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,653 Posts
Doggies need to have something they like to chew on available to them at all times, otherwise the couch looks like a giant chew toy to them.
If a dog is marking it is because there is an odor he can smell that is stimulating this. I used white vinegar, just spray in on the rug and leave for a couple days,oh if you know that the environment will dry, which we do in the desert. Anyway, something that takes away the smell will work. The dog is just responding to instinct and this cannot be corrected.
While I agree with you that dogs should have chew toys available, and also that it is VITALLY important to clean up any potty (and marking) mistakes thoroughly, I do not agree that it is impossible to teach a dog not to mark in the house. Just as with regular potty training, you need to be on top of the dog every moment, and correct them (gently and kindly) the moment you see them sidling up to something.

I had a stud dog staying with me last winter, while one of his housemates was in heat. Believe me, all he wanted to do was mark when he arrived. I tethered him to me, and kept a VERY close eye on him in the house any time he wasn't in his crate. He learned very quickly that marking was not going to be tolerated in my house. :)

Reactions: Momof2pumpkins

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am surprised that a Havanese would do that since they are very trainable, if mine was doing that, since I am a nurse and looked this up, the doggie might have a bladder infection or diabetes and I would take them to the Vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts