Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum. I am very torn between getting a yorkie or a havanese. I know the differences of the two breeds but I still cannot decide. I am single and live in NYC in a condo building so it's important that I dont have an overly barky dog. I also like minimal shedding mini dogs. I have also considered getting a mini doxie as well.... oh the choices before the final commitment! Your insight and wisdom to help me decide would be much appreciated! Help me please!

·
Jen, Timmy and Mae
1,672 Posts
Everyone here is going to tell you to get a Havanese of course! I don't know anything about Yorkies, but all the Doxies I know bark their heads off constantly. Hav's LOVE their people and want you around, I don't leave Tim for more than a few hours without someone being home. Timmy does bark, I won't lie, he is a great watch dog, not guard dog though. Majority of the time he's quiet but he will let me know if someone's at the door. One more thing regardless of the breed choice is to make sure you use an ethical breeder regardless of what you pick. There's a good thread here somewhere on the forum that lists red flags with breeders, some of which I wish I new before I got Timmy, although he's awesome. Also remember that this is a about a 15 year commitment so make sure you're up for that too. I'm sure others will chime in with their two cents.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
IMO, Yorkies are even "barkier" than Doxies. Doxies are probably more protective and less friendly to people outside their families. Yorkies are terriers, even though they are small, and have that terrier tenacity. They are fierce little dogs!:) Doxies have regular "dog hair", so the definitely smell "doggie" and shed, unlike Havanese. I don't think Yorkies shed so much, but they need regular grooming, just like Havs.

Besides the fact that both breeds tend to be bigger barkers than Havanese, there are other reasons I wouldn't want either breed. Yorkies, in general, are much harder to potty train than Havs. I can't tell you how many I know that have NEVER been reliable in the house. Doxies have more of a "big dog" mentality when it comes to potty training, but they are VERY prone to back problems and nerve damage because of their strange, elongated conformation.

I looked at a LOT of small breeds before choosing Havanese, and I think Havs are a WAY better fit for an apartment dweller. That said, even Havanese bark sometimes, especially as puppies. They are dogs, after all. So you have to be willing to work through that with them.

Reactions: JCChaplin

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
I am not a fan of the yorkies. They are yappy and hyper. The havanese was my first dog and I couldn't be happier. Can you tell from my avatar:)??? Good luck!

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Hands down. Havanese. I wouldn't even put them 3 breeds in the same catagory, except that they are small... it really depends on what YOU want in a companion dog...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Havanese are the best small dog you can have. They do love company and will become your best friend very fast.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
I want to add, havanese are bred to be with people. They are a companion dog. If you work, you will need to consider getting a dog walker. Havs do not to well when left alone all day long. They can get separation anxiety and will bark their heads off due to the stress of being alone. They are normally not a barky dogs though. Please take this seriously, because a lot of people don't and wind up with an unhappy dog. When I got mine, I considered all the expense that went along with getting a puppy.. My biggest expense is my dog walker/sitter. They are never left for more than 5 hours

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have groomed countless yorkies and I can tell you from personal experience I'd say about 20%ish are so high strung that they are very difficult to groom and have to be sedated by the vet or the owner ends up doing it. That and they are notoriously hard to house train. I have a cousin that has yorkies and she's had to put diapers on them. The epitome of a yappy, snappy, fussy and high maintenance little dog. They are at the top of the list of dog breeds I will NEVER own, right up there with Chow Chows, Siberian Huskies, German Shepherds, bully breeds, Shih Tzus and other short-nosed dogs, wheaten terriers, cocker spaniels, and westies/cairn terriers. No offense to anyone with one of these breeds, I have known some really great dogs, but many others with major health and/or temperament issues possibly due to over breeding and the general decline and ruin of the breed.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am not a doxie or yorkie fan!! Havs don't shed. My little Maya is always at my side and is a great companion. She does bark, but not a lot. She only barks when we are out walking and someone doesn't stop to say hello. :pound: The only other time is if someone knocks at the door. Another one you might want to consider is a Cavalier spaniel.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am not a doxie or yorkie fan!! Havs don't shed. My little Maya is always at my side and is a great companion. She does bark, but not a lot. She only barks when we are out walking and someone doesn't stop to say hello. :pound: The only other time is if someone knocks at the door. Another one you might want to consider is a Cavalier spaniel.
A cavalier king Charles is possibly the sweetest of all dogs, but the breed is one of the sickest. About 50% will develop heart problems and about 30% will have a painful condition where the skull is too small for the brain. This all adds up to a very high chance of expensive medical treatment and heartbreak.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
Cavaliers are adorable, but they'll break your heart. 100% of CKC's have heart disease. It's only a matter of when it expresses itself. A large percentage also have a condition where their brain pushes down into their spinal column, causing intense pain, neurological problems, and finally, death.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,627 Posts
A cavalier king Charles is possibly the sweetest of all dogs, but the breed is one of the sickest. About 50% will develop heart problems and about 30% will have a painful condition where the skull is too small for the brain. This all adds up to a very high chance of expensive medical treatment and heartbreak.
I have been told by vet friends that the percentage with heart problems before age 10 approaches 100%. The problems are so severe that the guidelines for responsible breeders is to not even breed dogs who have not reached 5 years of age without health problems. There aren't many breeders who live up to this, as it's a very popular breed. It is such a crying shame that such a beautiful, sweet breed has been overbred to this extent.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Having had a mini doxie for almost 17 years and a Hav for nearly 4 I can speak from experience. The doxie was a shedder from day 1 and it never stopped. My son also has a mini doxie who is 11 & experiencing significant hip problems. We loved our little guy and still miss him terribly, but if you don't want a dog that sheds or barks, IMHO a doxie is not the right choice.
Panda barks at people outside and when the doorbell rings, but as a rule she is a quiet well behaved girl. She occasionally barks when we leave her, mostly because she thinks she should go EVERYWHERE we go....and there is no shedding - but plenty of grooming!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have been told by vet friends that the percentage with heart problems before age 10 approaches 100%. The problems are so severe that the guideliamnes for responsible breeders is to not even breed dogs who have not reached 5 years of age without health problems. There aren't many breeders who live up to this, as it's a very popular breed. It is such a crying shame that such a beautiful, sweet breed has been overbred to this extent.
You should watch the BBC documentary about pure breds. The UK has a horrible genetic diversity crisis and many of the ckc breeders are not willing to do the right thing. It showed an affected ribbon winning show dog (tipped off to the filmmaker) being used to make litters. When confronted, the owner denied her dog was affected. A woman campaigning for better breeding standards (after her own dog became seriously ill and having to spend thousands of dollars for medical treatment) was met with animosity and was seen as an annoyance. It's really sad.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
My vote before it is too late! Get the Havanese. They do not smell like dogs.

·
Gigi
2,468 Posts
Our Havs are great fun,But I only work part time,so they are not left much.Havs do not like to be with out their owners.Ours also have a lot of exercise,on average an hour a day walk,also they play in our garden.If the weather is appalling they are okay to go without their walk for a couple of days.Our girl Nellie plays all the time with 2 of our cats.Dizzie [other Hav]gets fed up with her playing,he wants a quiet life!

·
Registered
371 Posts
havs don't have that wet dog smell. Love my little girl so much. She is so smart. Can't tell you how much happiness she has brought to our lives.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
havs don't have that wet dog smell. Love my little girl so much. She is so smart. Can't tell you how much happiness she has brought to our lives.
Thank you for the info. That is great the havs don't have the doggy smell. The only other breed I heard that about were the Italian Greyhounds.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts