Havanese Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank Karen with Kodi, Pixel,Panda and Ducky for all the good advice she gives Havanese owners. Also the information she gave to me about the number of times a Havanese would need a professional teeth clean in their life time. It is always good to have advice from those
owners who have a long experience with this breed. Often it takes time and effort to reply to people and for that you come up trumps. Your contributions are much appreciated.

I mentioned in a previous post about the Emmi Pet Toothbrush. This is not a toothbrush that you brush with. It is a German made ultrasonic toothbrush. You simply add the toothpaste and water and hold it for thirty seconds over the dogs teeth. Then move to the neighbouring teeth. It does not vibrate or make any sound. The ultrasound waves ,toothpaste and water work together to break down tartar and plaque and kill bacteria. The ultrasound waves and the toothpaste cleaning bubbles reach between teeth and crevices that ordinary toothbrushes can’t reach.

In England many dog grooming salons are offering an Emmi pet teeth cleaning service where you pay for sessions but I preferred to buy it myselfI am honestly not being paid to mention this toothbrush. I have only been using it a month now with some good results. Already Hugo’s teeth are looking a lot better and less stained.I shall inform you further down the line if it keeps tartar at bay and I will give you an honest opinion.If you have multiple dogs you can simply buy more tooth brush heads. You have to have persistence in using the toothbrush to get results. It is quite expensive. I bought it from a rep in England for around £200. She will be checking over the internet that I am using it correctly though it’s use doesn’t seem complicated .I have justified it because prevention is better than cure. In England a dental clean can cost around £200. Most pet insurance doesn’t cover dental work except due to an accident.

Dental health is one of the most neglected health issues in dogs. A dogs teeth health is linked to a dogs physical health. Poor dental health can lead to tooth loss,heart disease and kidney failure. Gum disease can make it difficult for a dog to eat and can cause bad breath. By the age of three 70-80% of dogs have some form of periodontal disease .Often we spend a lot on grooming products but in comparison little on the teeth. Up until now I was in that category. I now save on dog grooming and do it myself with the help of my husband. I have watched many dog grooming you tube videos, done some reading on grooming and invested in some good quality clippers and grooming combs. This has left me a little more money to spend on Hugo’s teeth health.

Cleaning teeth advice ‘ Angle the bristles of the brush up along the gum line. Work from the back of the mouth to the front making small circles along your dogs gum line on the upper teeth’

Even if you can’t consider the Emmi toothbrush it is worth getting a good enzymatic tooth paste and regularly change toothbrush. I came across a really good you tube video recently ‘Havanese teeth cleaning-my 3 go to products All things Havanese. ‘

The lady mentions three things she uses on her Havanese dog:

1 Roast dinner toothpaste herb Dorwest She rubs this on the teeth.
2 Virbac Enzymatic toothpaste used with toothbrush
3 Emmi pet

I wanted to do attachment of video but I m not sure how to but it should be easy to find.
You may use other products but I wanted to tell you of my journey.

Hugo is my first ever dog and I am learning more all the time. I hope my article helps people and will make Havanese owners more aware of not neglecting dental health. If you have any other teeth cleaning products that you find helpful I would be pleased to hear from you.

I

I

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
I agree that this is a very important topic... Dental health is so important to overall health and it often overlooked in dogs and cats. I will definitely check out the Emmi Pet toothbrush. I have always brushed Scout and Truffles teeth daily. They are seen by a dentist to be examined, teeth cleaned and x-rayed very couple of years. Even if teeth look great it's a good idea to see a dentist...just like us! 😁 On Amazon the Emmi toothbrush is $259.00. Preventative care is a good thing because dental care can be extremely expensive for our doggies!

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
Thank you. ❤ You are sweet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts