Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All: I know this has been in a previous thread- but I thought I would bring it up again with some specific questions. Those of you that have insurance- who do you use? And how has it been both in terms of cost and savings?

So we can keep it all together---
Here are the insurance providers that were mentioned in the past thread.

http://www.petsbest.com (from Rita)
https://www.petcareinsurance.com (rp...b55)/index.asp (from Rita)
http://petfirsthealthcare.com (from Julie)

And Here are some helpful links provided by Rita:

http://www.vetinsurance.com/index.html
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/insu...althinsura.htm
http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/p...a051103a_2.htm

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thanks for all the information . This is so helpful.
I do not have time to research it all now but now that I am a mother of two butI will following up on this .
Thanks for all the links and information .

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Missy,
That must be a different Julie then me...as I've never used insurance or had any,so I couldn't recommend any.
I'm going to follow this closely though,as I am considering getting some.
Thanks.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
I am seriously considering getting insurance for my soon to be puppy, so I'd like to follow this thread. I think I will call the vet I'm planning on using and get an opinion from them which one is the best (with that particular vet) and go from there. Thanks for the links :) A few people I know currently have sick or injured dogs and have recommended insurance to me.

Regards,
Kara

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
Kara,

Most vets I've encountered recommend VPI pet insurance, as the oldest and the best. I found that they work off the schedule and after a $50.00 deductable, cover 90% off of their schedule, not off the vet's bill - huge difference. I switched to Petfirsthealthcare. After meeting a $50.00 deductable, they cover 90% of the vet's bill. I haven't had a chance to see how true that is, but it looks like my red poodle might have an ear infection that I can't seem to cure with Monistat 7 (which always works for my cream poodle), so next week I will take her and it will be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks Missy for posting this in one place. I need to figure out what I am going to do. I did notice that most health insurance websites will not give me a quote for Houston because he is too young. Most require him to be 12 weeks. So, usually I say he was born in November to get an idea of price.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
Kara,

I will let you know. She is actually feeling quite good and it's more for my peace of mind than anything else.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have VPI for Ollie and his bill for the surgery was 1238 - you are correct - VPI will cover 90% of their max which is around 950....so I should get about $855 - not bad for a 250 annual contract which includs a cancer rider..We live in No. CA so I know our fees are higher than most places so I am happy to have at least the $855! I am going to check out the petsfirst website - but am happy with what I have - been around forever and they are very responsive....I also had Petcare for my cat and he had a $1100 surgery and they paid quickly and thoroughly - and amazing part - I had just purchased the policy the day before the surgery - they asked no questions...

Olliesmom

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
Olliesmom - let us know what the VPI actually covers, because with my dealings with them, what they cover was much less than what they should have, even according to their schedule....sigh.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Guys, thanks for posting to this thread. I'm really interested in following along and seeing what is covered with each insurance plan! Basic care isn't too bad, (I just had my daughter's cat vaccinated and neutered), but I would hate to have an emergency and watch the costs soar! :eek:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ollie gets his stitches out Monday and I will have the vet fill out the paperwork for the insurance claim then and I will send it in...May take a few weeks for the "answer" but I will keep all posted...BTW - He is finally hopping around and is getting back to his ole cute self...

Olliesmom

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Good to hear Ollie is doing better. Geez! Why do some dogs put everything in the mouth? I was watching that animal vet show and they had a dog with a rock in his tummy and also a ferret that had swallowed pennies! I've never had a dog eat sticks and rocks and such. Does it happen much?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
More than you would think - Most dogs would be able to pass what Ollie had - but he is 8 months and 8 lbs so he is pretty small....

and those ear plugs tasted yummy - just like mommy's ears that get lots of kisses!

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
More than you would think - Most dogs would be able to pass what Ollie had - but he is 8 months and 8 lbs so he is pretty small....

and those ear plugs tasted yummy - just like mommy's ears that get lots of kisses!
ewwwwwwwww!! heehee!! Gee maybe I should add that to my list. Note to tell all breeders, I would like one that won't eat earplugs! :p

Christy

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Christy, that's too funny!! LOL :D

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Because of my husband's line of work, he uses ear plugs quite often, which also means that I find spares around the bedroom floor now and then. I try to watch out for them because I've heard the ear plug story a couple of times now, but none of my dogs have ever bothered with them. They find spare socks and dryer sheets much more entertaining. LOL

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well I thought the same thing - thought Ollie only liked my "panties" and son's socks...(sorry gentlemen for being so direct!)

Guess I was wrong!

Catherine

1 - 20 of 86 Posts