• Hepatic problems ( liver shunts etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I would like to postscript my vote of "None of the above" to say that I've had six Havanese of my own. Granted, three of them are now living elsewhere and problem-free in the area of health issues; one of those (living elsewhere) and is only a year old, so it is too early to tell, but I'm guessing he won't have any either.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I too, need to add a comment. I posted 'none of the above' but of course Ricky is only 8 mths. old! Hav. #2 is 7 mths. and so far, he's also very healthy, but it's way too soon to tell if they have other issues in their future..... we'll see!

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
I suppose I really shouldn't have voted...Izzy is only 14.5 weeks old, but my daughters Hav is 8 months old and she hasn't had any health issues either.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Sam has his CERF exam in April and will also be having a patella check in April along with his "Wellness Check". So I haven't answered the poll yet. How long is the poll active?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The poll is an open poll so it will go on for at least a couple of months. The longer it is open the more answers we will get and the more reliable the results. It is curious that there have been 60 viewings so far yet only 5 people have responded........does this mean that the remaining 55 do not own Havanese or do not wish to respond to the poll???

David

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
If you look at the results, there are actually 12 votes and I've come back twice (after voting) to view other results, so people who come back to read are probably bumping the view counts. Also, it looks like a few people may feel it is too early (dogs are too young) to vote.

This site gets busy in spurts, but a lot of people tend to lurk more than they post.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good points...I hadn't though about repeat visitations increasing the number of views.

David

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Plus, and Im not sure on this, but there are A LOT of guests on here and lurkers as Kimberly said. So they can view the post but are not allowed to vote. You have to be registered to vote, or see any images etc....

I keep it open for guests to view as I think it will help everyone. But I do hope more people register and participate, as you get so much more out of it then.

I have not voted because Im not sure of my answer yet....

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I have placed my vote & sadly I am probably one of only a few with problems. All 3 of mine have the patella issues, but no problems to speak of. No lameness or anything, per the vet, they just have it & we need to watch to make sure they do not go lame. Lexi has the worst knees but she can jump the highest, and run the fastest of them all!
Lily has had the bladder issues. Crystals in the bladder, unable to break down minerals. Corrected simply by feeding her ONLY vet SO food and distilled water. She has been fine since she started on the food.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
? Just curious as to why this is so important to you .
I have two Havanese and they have had no major health issues .One is just 8 months and the other is a year and he is Kimberly's Ahnold .
My friend has one Tulip ( Female) and she is 6 years old and in good health now but she did have to have surgery on her legs .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Cosmosmom:

Below is a copy of a thread I started recently which explains my reason for the poll.
Starting to get Frightened !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow! After reading Diane Klumb's book "The Havanese" and reading such statements as
1) one out os every 7 Havanese were reported to have ocular abnormalities
2) one out of 10 Havanese were reported to have either catatacts of any size or lens luxation
3)one out of every 42 Havanese were reported to have neurological disorders
4) etc. etc. etc.

...after having read the threads on health insurance etc. , I am beginning to wonder if the Havanese is a pretty unhealthy dog. I have had dogs for over 40 years and outside of their annual shots, can only recall less than a half dozen occasions when a trip to the vets was necessary. I really want a Havanese, but I don't want to have a dog which is so unhealthy that health insurance is a necessity. I wonder if getting an older Havanese instead of a puppy would help screen out unhealthy specimens.
All this reading and reseach has left me very apprehensive about health problems with Havanese and yet at the same time it has made me want one desperately because of their temperment and other wonderful qualities. I would appreciate your comments, hoping that you can help
me overcome my apprehension. One idea I had was to start a poll on the major health problems ( such as the potty trained poll) and see how many of you have had these problems with your Havanese....but alas, I don't know how to start such a poll.

David

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Tom,
It just might mean that the ones without problems out number the ones with problems. This breed in my opinion, is overall a very health breed. Now, that does NOT mean the breed is without health issues. <grin>

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I have noticed a few posts recently that appear to be ads or just non-dog (havanese) related issues. I wonder why people think that this is the place to post them??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.