Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: When you get your dog Cerf and BAER tested, and all the rest, does it cost money to post them on the OFA sites?

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Yes. Each test is different, but it lists it on the bottom of the OFA application (that the tester needs to use). The fee is a little different for some of the tests, but it isn't much. And the fee does change so make sure you use a new form each time and send it in. I think one of my results hasn't posted because I held onto the test results for too long and the fee changed several months ago.

OFA applications are available here.

As of today, the hip (only) database fee is $30, the elbow (only) database is $25, hips & elbows together are $35. The patellar luxation (knees) database fee is $15.

You need to get the BAER (hearing) and CERF (eyes) from the examiner, but I believe those fees were close to $15 also.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
No, you're right. The submission fees for the database aren't bad at all. The cost is pretty high when you have multiple dogs, and pay for the testing, and then add all the submission fees. The good thing is that you can often find inexpensive clinics at local dog shows for the BAER & CERF tests. For the patellas, my vet does it. For the hips, I have to travel a couple hours away to get it done.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Is it a one time fee, or an annual fee?

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
It is a one-time fee for each test submitted. However, the CERF test should be done annually, so you have to submit the fee each time you submit the test results.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
If I am not showing or breeding my dogs, do I have to post the results of their tests? Or can I just keep the results for my records and piece of mind that my dogs helath is OK?

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Does your breeder have any requirements about the testing in your contract?

There are two benefits to posting the results - to fullfill any requirements of your contract, and to help others who research health pedigrees. If there are five puppies in a litter and none of them ever post the reports, no one knows if the whole litter had eye problems... or maybe none did. Posting the results does help others.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Kimberly is right. Check your contract.:)

Our dog (which we should get in March) has to have a CERF annually starting at its first birthday per our contract.

I agree it is a good thing. It allows you to check up on bloodlines. I was able to go in and check out other dogs that I knew came from the breeder besides the parents.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
There was nothing specific in the contract, but I see your point about posting. Good idea. Thanks

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I can't think of any reason to not post results, except if you found something wrong and didn't want anyone to know. However, I think that would be more likely by a breeder than an owner. I don't know anyone who has kept from posting results, but that's the only reason that comes to mind. For the betterment of the breed, I think it is a much better idea to post them no matter the results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Testing Results

Well there are plenty of reasons not to send in your results to OFA or any other registry. Just as I can't release medical records, good or bad many breeders don't feel it's anyone else's bussiness. I have many clients that do all the testing but just don't send them, maybe 75% . Other clients have 10 - 15 dogs and the cost does add up. While some breeders doctor shop for passed results. When I see a new client that wants testing for OFA, it kind of makes you wonder.
If you look at the stats on other breeds you would think they should never be bred. Bulldogs, Staffy's and others have failed hips over 25% and yet it ok to breed them.
Testing is a snapshot in time, the dog is fine at that exact moment. The best testing you can do is on your own dog and have regular vet checks.
DrD

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Well there are plenty of reasons not to send in your results to OFA or any other registry.
So, what are those reasons?

In response to people who doctor results, I think that would be pretty obvious over time.

Secondly, why would you wonder why someone wants to do testing for OFA? That doesn't make any sense to me. Breeders are encouraged to do testing by their national club. It is the breeders who don't do any testing that should be questioned.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Dr. Dale,
I also wanted to comment on the cost portion for those that have multiple dogs. If a person has 10-15 dogs, then they better be darned well ready to handle the expenses that come with that. And since you claim to be familiar with OFA, I'm sure you know that they give price breaks for large numbers of reports sent in.

I'm still a bit stuck on the doctoring part. The vet that visit for my OFA hip testing is several hours away from me, but worth the drive (even though there are thousands of veteranarians closer in the San Francisco Bay Area). He does the testing and has me give him my OFA check for the submission because they do not give the tests back to me. They submit them directly to OFA themselves. If you are concerned about "doctored" results, that could be a practice you could implement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those are all well in good but I was just trying to answer her question on why some breeders don't send in results. I was not suggesting not to test only why.
Still, if we had to have test before having our children and put our test results for all to see, how many people would protest. Just a thought.

DrD (retired)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No one buys our children. We purchase a pet and expect to have one that has no history of disease. In a purebred there are diseases the run in some lines. A responsible breeder does testing. To compare pet health testing to testing of humans before 'breeding' is rediculous.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Those are all well in good but I was just trying to answer her question on why some breeders don't send in results.
I must have missed it, but I still haven't seen any reasons posted for a breeder to not have the test results posted.

And the comparison of posting health testing results for our children is apples & oranges. We don't "breed" our children.

Dr. Dale, something is starting to smell fishy in here and it isn't my tuna.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just giving a thought hoping you might understand. I wasn't not expecting anyone to reply so mean. If you don't get the answer you wanted why ask?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let's hear from other breeders on the forum, then. How many of you post your health results? Dr. Dale says 75% of his clients don't post their results. Can this be true? How can I trust any breeders to sell me a pup that is healthy, then? Would I be better off just going to the pound?

I wanted a purebreed because I love the breed. I thought that breeders bred to protect the breed and to watch for diseases and temperate. That includes posting of test results, I would think.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts