Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jolene is three weeks shy of her first birthday, and we’ve been watching her closely for her first heat. The last couple of days, she’s been licking herself a lot more than usual, and she looks slightly swollen, though no discharge to speak of (including first thing in the morning). She’s also been extra affectionate, which her breeder said is how her girls typically are in heat. And a few days ago at the beach an intact male Frenchie was VERY interested in her. I know it’s possible we see some discharge in a few days, but I’m wondering if any dogs going through their heat cycle with very mild symptoms?

Dog Liver Working animal Carnivore Toy dog

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Yes, it is possible, and be VERY careful! That male could have been on her, in her and TIED in the blink of an eye, before you could stop it! When you say there is no discharge even in the morning, how are you checking? The best way to check is by pressing a clean tissue right up against her vulva, first thing, before she has a chance to pee.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is possible, and be VERY careful! That male could have been on her, in her and TIED in the blink of an eye, before you could stop it! When you say there is no discharge even in the morning, how are you checking? The best way to check is by pressing a clean tissue right up against her vulva, first thing, before she has a chance to pee.
Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing— right when I let her out of her crate, and not seeing any discharge at all. But she is definitely paying much more attention to herself. We are going to be watching her like a hawk…. It was actually pretty funny because the frenchie, while cute, was clearly not well-bred and i don’t think could have done anything ‘naturally’ given his stature, but we still got her away from him quickly though.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Be extra, Extra careful for the next couple of weeks. Even neutered males can tie quickly when she is ready.
Yes, Kodi has tied with both of our girls on occasion!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Kodi has tied with both of our girls on occasion!
😳 I am hoping that Charlie doesn’t get any ideas…. He has never shown any typical male behaviors (never has humped, even before he was neutered, and still squats to pee and empties completely instead of marking) so hoping he will leave her alone! We will keep a very close eye on her, and just cancelled her pack walks to the beach for the next two weeks to be safe.

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
Might better make it three weeks. Typically, they are ready to breed from day 12 through as late as 18, but usually 16.

They can stay tied for up to a half hour too, so you don't want to sit there, wherever there is, for a half hour with them to make sure they don't hurt each other by jumping around.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Might better make it three weeks. Typically, they are ready to breed from day 12 through as late as 18, but usually 16.

They can stay tied for up to a half hour too, so you don't want to sit there, wherever there is, for a half hour with them to make sure they don't hurt each other by jumping around.
Yes, we have to keep our dogs out of class, (and you are not allowed to take them to a competition) for 3 weeks from the beginning of heat.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, we have to keeper dogs out of class, (and you are not allowed to take them to a competition) for 3 weeks from the beginning of heat.
Yeah, assuming this is it, we started seeing some signs last Tuesday/Wednesday so we were planning three weeks from then… is that right or is there a different ‘start’ point? Still not seeing discharge but she’s being very attentive to keeping clean, and we had them out for a leashed walk today and our neighbor’s female dog was smelling her a lot more than usual. She’s not allowed to say hi to any boys for sure!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Yeah, assuming this is it, we started seeing some signs last Tuesday/Wednesday so we were planning three weeks from then… is that right or is there a different ‘start’ point? Still not seeing discharge but she’s being very attentive to keeping clean, and we had them out for a leashed walk today and our neighbor’s female dog was smelling her a lot more than usual. She’s not allowed to say hi to any boys for sure!
It's usually 3 weeks from first blood. It's hard to know where you are right now. They can get pretty swollen before they show blood, so you may not really be in yet...

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's usually 3 weeks from first blood. It's hard to know where you are right now. They can get pretty swollen before they show blood, so you may not really be in yet...
Got it… and there’s no chance that they have a cycle without any blood? I’m just wondering if we don’t end up seeing blood, if it’s possible that something could be wrong that we should see about with the vet, or if some have a cycle w no blood. Thanks for all the advice here! Girl dog parenting for the first time 😊

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Got it… and there’s no chance that they have a cycle without any blood? I’m just wondering if we don’t end up seeing blood, if it’s possible that something could be wrong that we should see about with the vet, or if some have a cycle w no blood. Thanks for all the advice here! Girl dog parenting for the first time 😊
It would not be a “normal” cycle, but sometimes first cycles aren’t totally normal. And no, in ANY case it would not be a reason to take her to the vet! Even if she were intended to be a breeding dog, the advice would simply be to wait, because she is so young. Just like with people, sometimes early cycles are a bit out of the ordinary. In YOUR case, I am SURE the advice would just be, “spay her and get it over with.” Which would NOT be my advice.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, Jo seemed back to normal so we figured it was just an abnormal first heat since she had some swelling but no discharge. But then woke up this morning to bright red discharge! Just a few days after her first birthday. So looks like our three weeks actually starts now… I know the most fertile window is typically towards the end; how long generally should I expect the discharge to last?

And I know every dog is different, but how much would you expect a young, recently neutered male to go crazy over her the next 10 days or so? She and I are literally supposed to leave tomorrow to visit my mom and Astro, who is the same age and was neutered about 5 weeks ago. Now thinking I should leave her home with the boys or postpone. Sigh… 😞

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Well, Jo seemed back to normal so we figured it was just an abnormal first heat since she had some swelling but no discharge. But then woke up this morning to bright red discharge! Just a few days after her first birthday. So looks like our three weeks actually starts now… I know the most fertile window is typically towards the end; how long generally should I expect the discharge to last?

And I know every dog is different, but how much would you expect a young, recently neutered male to go crazy over her the next 10 days or so? She and I are literally supposed to leave tomorrow to visit my mom and Astro, who is the same age and was neutered about 5 weeks ago. Now thinking I should leave her home with the boys or postpone. Sigh… 😞

Typically you have about one week of frank blood, then it tapers off to a pinkish then straw-colored discharge. They are often most fertile around day 13 or so, but this varies quite a bit. By day 21 they are usually safely out.

Watch her with your boy... Even though he is neutered, she is like to flag for him and try to get him to mate with her when she is in "standing heat" (fertile). I was VERY surprised with Pixel's first heat to find her and Kodi tied!!! Yes, neutered males can and do tie, and while it's not the end of the world, it's also not something you want to encourage, especially with the big size difference between your two, and ESPECIALLY without supervision. keep them separated unless you are supervising them from now until she is out of heat. IF they manage to tie in spite of you being careful, get down on the floor with them and keep them quiet. DO NOT try to separate them, and just keep them calm until they separate naturally. They may both get upset, especially since neither one will have any idea what they are doing!

And remember to keep her WAY away from any intact dogs, because young girls like this ARE "fertile myrtles"! Like teenage girls... it only takes once!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Typically you have about one week of frank blood, then it tapers off to a pinkish then straw-colored discharge. They are often most fertile around day 13 or so, but this varies quite a bit. By day 21 they are usually safely out.

Watch her with your boy... Even though he is neutered, she is like to flag for him and try to get him to mate with her when she is in "standing heat" (fertile). I was VERY surprised with Pixel's first heat to find her and Kodi tied!!! Yes, neutered males can and do tie, and while it's not the end of the world, it's also not something you want to encourage, especially with the big size difference between your two, and ESPECIALLY without supervision. keep them separated unless you are supervising them from now until she is out of heat. IF they manage to tie in spite of you being careful, get down on the floor with them and keep them quiet. DO NOT try to separate them, and just keep them calm until they separate naturally. They may both get upset, especially since neither one will have any idea what they are doing!

And remember to keep her WAY away from any intact dogs, because young girls like this ARE "fertile myrtles"! Like teenage girls... it only takes once!
Thank you! We will definitely not be leaving her unsupervised at all… even with old man Charlie! It’s kind of funny because I was obsessing over the tiniest change in swelling a few weeks ago, and then today it was SO obvious.

I can’t decide what to do about going to RI…. On the one hand, it seems like not a great idea to have her visiting a recently neutered young boy who is still learning how to chill at home…On the other hand, I miss my family, and I don’t think I can in good conscious leave Rob with both dogs for 10 days. She is being very lovey and quiet but a total drama queen (she cried and howled—while sitting on Rob’s lap— when I went to go pick Charlie up from the vet earlier!) And without her off-leash beach walks, she’s going to be a maniac by early next week and would probably drive them both crazy. I love this girl, but she sure has terrible timing!
My pair of unhappy pups… Charlie is fine, he had a lump removed from his ear so has to wear his donut for a few days.
Dog Dog breed Comfort Carnivore Grey

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Some girls can be real "drama queens" about being in heat. Pixel was... Fortunately, Panda was not. Interestingly, Panda usually had a few "off" days, mid-cycle, which is when she would have had puppies if she had been bred. And PIXEL had a full-on false pregnancy... which is why she never got a chance at a second heat! LOL!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts