Havanese Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only spring time and here in Canada it's about 22 degrees, and when I took my 7 month old Hav for a walk, he was panting and exhausted fifteen minutes in. Twenty minutes in he actually laid down. He's a healthy weight and has no problem walking that same route in the cooler months. I thought that Havs were good with heat, coming from Cuba and all. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is he sick? Thanks

· Linda
5,397 Posts
Leaving this one to the experts.....but, just my thoughts.....

You may have to build up endurance for the warmer weather walks, by starting with shorter walks.

He may like the cooler weather instead of the warm weather.

Let him walk where he wants to along a path to build up endurance of the warm weather.

My boys.....Dexter does not like the warm weather, but Jack loves it. Dexter will not want to go outside when Jack wants to go.

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
It's only spring time and here in Canada it's about 22 degrees, and when I took my 7 month old Hav for a walk, he was panting and exhausted fifteen minutes in. Twenty minutes in he actually laid down. He's a healthy weight and has no problem walking that same route in the cooler months. I thought that Havs were good with heat, coming from Cuba and all. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is he sick? Thanks
Hmmm. Kodi is in full coat and he is perfectly comfortable walking and even running around at that temperature. He DOES need to drink more in warm weather, so I always bring a water bottle with a dog-drink-able cap with us. Or if it's warm enough and we'll be out long enough that I think we'll both need a drink, I bring a human water bottle and a foldable dog bowl that fits in my pocket.

· Registered
141 Posts
Has this happened more than once or is it happening all the time? If it's one time, he could have been tired for other reasons.

Or, he could be very heat sensitive and need to build up his endurance in that degree temperature. Dogs, like people, have different temps they're okay with. At 71-ish degrees most dogs would be fine, but for him, it may be that around 70 is the temp where he starts needing water breaks on a walk.

· Registered
347 Posts
My Fred hates the heat. On a hot day he will seek shade. He will also refuse to walk. On hot days, I now wet them down before walking them or take them to places they can swim/hike.
Oh Linda, that's a good idea. Mikey is only 4 months and he defiantly DOESN'T like hot weather. On the days its 80 or above, he won't go far and lays FLAT on the grass in the shade and doesn't want to budge. It's kind of cute. I can't help but laugh cause he lays spread eagle (arms and legs straight out) I'll get a picture one of these days :cool:

· Metrowest, MA
32,720 Posts
My Fred hates the heat. On a hot day he will seek shade. He will also refuse to walk. On hot days, I now wet them down before walking them or take them to places they can swim/hike.
I use a cooling mat in Kodi's crate when we're doing agility on hot days, or he won't run on course! ;)

· Registered
1,828 Posts
THis is the first year Django is not dealing well with the heat, and it's not even hot yet. High as been 75 degrees. I think it's all the prednisone he's been taking but he can only last about 20 minutes into his walk before he's panting and ready to go home. He does however LOVE the cold weather.

· Registered
49 Posts
Pickles was a puppy last summer, and he couldn't handle the heat here in Toronto. I always had water for him, and doused him a few times to cool him down, but mostly I had to keep his outside time limited to mornings and evenings. It's been around 20 degrees here too over the past few days - we've been taking him to the dog park on the beach so he can jump in the water, and that has helped a lot. I've noticed that the heat has been affecting his sleeping though! We're supposed to have a hot, dry summer here - I'm not looking forward to it.

One day I have to move back to the east coast where it's only warm for two weeks of the year! ;)

· Dave T
10,876 Posts
Leaving this one to the experts.....but, just my thoughts.....

You may have to build up endurance for the warmer weather walks, by starting with shorter walks.

He may like the cooler weather instead of the warm weather.

Let him walk where he wants to along a path to build up endurance of the warm weather.

My boys.....Dexter does not like the warm weather, but Jack loves it. Dexter will not want to go outside when Jack wants to go.
my thoughts too. These dogs are from Alaska . lol where are you from. ?

Reactions: Gabs

· Registered
4,846 Posts
My sisters dog the one that is mean to me. Will play in the out door water bowl and spill out all the water and then lay down on it. We also have a dogie waiting pool for them at her house. Maddie jumps right in but Zoey doesn't. Mine don't mind the heat as long as I hydrate them more.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has this happened more than once or is it happening all the time? If it's one time, he could have been tired for other reasons.

Or, he could be very heat sensitive and need to build up his endurance in that degree temperature. Dogs, like people, have different temps they're okay with. At 71-ish degrees most dogs would be fine, but for him, it may be that around 70 is the temp where he starts needing water breaks on a walk.
This is one of the first times its been hot here. I guess it will just be a matter of building up his endurance in the hotter weather and frequent water breaks !!!

· Registered
9,654 Posts
My Lily does not take heat and walks (at the same time) very well either. She is actually hilarious. We will walk, and she will run to the first lawn that has a tree, and spread out on the grass, we walk past her, tug her to follow, and she runs ahead of us to the next shade spot. It is so funny to watch!
And when we have any of the other dogs with us, they just walk with us - and watch her go to the shade spots. Logan in in long coat and he has not problem.

I think it is just that certain dogs are sensitive to heat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.