Havanese Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I'm new in this group. We have an 8-month old Havi named Meeko, who we've had since January. He's always been a picky eater, but it just seems to have gotten worse as time goes on. The vet says he's healthy, but he's a lot like a few others I've read about in this forum. Hates all kibble, will eat raw, home-cooked, canned, dehydrated and freeze dried, but nothing ever more than twice in a row, max. When he's really bored, he might eat a little kibble IF (and only if) it comes out of a feeder toy he rolls around - but that's perhaps once a month or so. I've tried toppers, mixing various things together, different plates and bowls, but it's very frustrating. He's lost some weight after the vet said to do tough love and wait him out - I lasted 40 hours before I gave him something else (which likely ruined it, from what I'm reading here). I worry that he's still a puppy and shouldn't be losing any weight, but also that I'm creating a monster. We've had dogs for over 30 years, and never experienced this issue before (though we've never had a Havi before). Advice is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I was throwing away too much expensive food when my dog wouldn’t eat the canned, raw, or Honest Kitchen food because of her pickiness. I settled on kibble (which I eventually added some freeze dried raw mixers to) because I didn’t have to worry about spoilage from sitting out too long or going in and out of the refrigerator too many times. I add water to her morning meal( because she always eats that one) but I leave the evening kibble dry(she sometimes skips this meal) so I can use it the next day if necessary. Adding the few pieces of freeze dried raw gets her to go to her food bowl. She always eats those pieces first and it usually gets her going to eat the kibble too.

·
Marion
68 Posts
I would go read the thread started by gigipie about a day ago called Picky Eater and Rotating Kibble. Lots of good advice there from seasoned Hav owners, including Karen who would not steer you wrong!

Finley started to get picky a month or so ago, but once we implemented the policy of picking up the bowl after a certain amount of time and not feeding her again (even treats) until the next meal, she caught on pretty quick and it hasn't been an issue since. She'll be 10 months next week, so this was roughly the age Meeko is now.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was throwing away too much expensive food when my dog wouldn’t eat the canned, raw, or Honest Kitchen food because of her pickiness. I settled on kibble (which I eventually added some freeze dried raw mixers to) because I didn’t have to worry about spoilage from sitting out too long or going in and out of the refrigerator too many times. I add water to her morning meal( because she always eats that one) but I leave the evening kibble dry(she sometimes skips this meal) so I can use it the next day if necessary. Adding the few pieces of freeze dried raw gets her to go to her food bowl. She always eats those pieces first and it usually gets her going to eat the kibble too.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would go read the thread started by gigipie about a day ago called Picky Eater and Rotating Kibble. Lots of good advice there from seasoned Hav owners, including Karen who would not steer you wrong!

Finley started to get picky a month or so ago, but once we implemented the policy of picking up the bowl after a certain amount of time and not feeding her again (even treats) until the next meal, she caught on pretty quick and it hasn't been an issue since. She'll be 10 months next week, so this was roughly the age Meeko is now.

Hang in there!
Thanks - that's what I tried when he went 40 hours on less than 1/4 cup. Might have to try it again. Sigh.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,535 Posts
Thanks. That's part of the problem - what he likes today, he may not like tomorrow, so it's a constant guessing game.
Yes I understand that, however if you feed only once per day he is likely to be more hungry and less picky is what I was thinking, especially if you really limit treats outside of meals. Anyway, I thought it was worth a shot. Many dogs prefer to eat only once per day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts