Havanese Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for welcoming me in the forum.
I am actually comparing the Havanese with Pomchis. My family is insisting me for Hananese, but I
am willing to own Pomchi. I like the mix dog breeds as these are less prone to health issues. Let
me know what you guys think about it. Which one will be best for family, Havanese or Pomchi?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Thanks everyone for welcoming me in the forum.
I am actually comparing the Havanese with Pomchis. My family is insisting me for Hananese, but I
am willing to own Pomchi. I like the mix dog breeds as these are less prone to health issues. Let
me know what you guys think about it. Which one will be best for family, Havanese or Pomchi?
Not to speak for everyone, but I think many here would disagree with the "less prone to health issues" - for me the "designer" mixes are a complete crap shoot - no predictability in traits between the two in the mix - including health.

This is a havanese board so I think you'll find that we'd all vote for the Havanese over the pomchi. But perhaps it would be easier if you'd let us know what traits, etc. you're looking for and we can address that?

·
Metrowest, MA
31,473 Posts
Not to speak for everyone, but I think many here would disagree with the "less prone to health issues" - for me the "designer" mixes are a complete crap shoot - no predictability in traits between the two in the mix - including health.

This is a havanese board so I think you'll find that we'd all vote for the Havanese over the pomchi. But perhaps it would be easier if you'd let us know what traits, etc. you're looking for and we can address that?
I would agree with Melissa that hybrid "designer" mixes, especially since no quality breeder would allow their dogs to be used in such a program, are certainly no more likely to be "healthy" than purebreds. In fact, they can have any of the diseases that EITHER breed they come from can have.

As far as which would be better for YOU? Since Pomeranians AND Chihuahuas are SOOOO different from Havanese in coat, temperament and size, I guess you'd have to decide what you re looking for in a dog. I would not want either a Chihuahua OR a Pom, so a cross between the two would be about the LAST thing I'd be looking for. But if that's what's right for you, you probably would not be happy with a Havanese. They are very, VERY different from either of those breeds.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
One of the nice things about Havanese is they haven’t been overbred and have more genetic diversity than many other breeds. But their temperaments are much different than Pomeranians or Chihuahuas. I don’t have the experience to determine if they are typical of their breeds so im just describing my limited observations. I know a couple of chihuahuas and 1 Pom and Sundance is a little more wary of them, although he is friendly. Sundance is social with other dogs and likes almost everyone so I listen to him on the rare occasions he isn’t interested. He is more likely to be wary of a small dogs than a large dog - he has run away and hid from a “yippy” small breed but he regularly forgives rough playing large breeds, so there is some bias. The Pom I know is more aloof than anything, not really interested in playing or listening, but sweet in her own way. The chihuahuas are all over the spectrum and they are not my favorite, but I do know one very sweet chihuahua so I suspect this is an issue of quality breeding and training. Havanese personalities tend to be outgoing, social, and affectionate, and they are more playful, kind of like a friendly big dog in a small body. They don’t require as much exercise as most large breed dogs, but they also have the motivation and ability to keep up with active families if that’s what they want (as adults). This is part of why they are a good breed for a wide variety of people in different stages of life. They are smart but based on my limited experience they want to please and be with their people more and that makes them more trainable. They are also less delicate. My suggestion is to meet a couple of Havanese, if you haven’t already!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts