Havanese Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I have been researching Havanese breeders in and nearby NYC and also looking at this forum for a while and just joined. It has been interesting reading all the great stories about your pets and seeing images of them I hope I am fortunate to have a Havanese of my own soon and be able to post on that. :) Honestly it has been overwhelming but I feel bit more knowledgeable now that it could be helpful to be on a forum at this point.

I would like to find a great breeder nearby and not having a car or likely access to one it limits area I can select a breeder from. I understand breeders do not ship but I am thinking if within reasonable distance, maybe hour or 2, with access by train or bus I could get there and then make return trip with hired car. I know the most important thing is a reputable breeder but transport home is an issue I have that just has to be considered in selection also.

Young puppy would be great but I am also open to older puppy or even young dog 1 or 2 years or so old.

From a list of about 10 or so that seem to be recommended and reputable I have narrowed it down to a few to look into further and contact maybe 1 or 2 or so. I am currently trying to understand what makes a good breeder and am putting together list of questions for breeder related to that. Anyone with any opinions on these, or can think of any others especially with my problem of easily getting pup home?
My Yuppy Puppy - FL (who will hand deliver but probably I will have to go there first)
Wyndward Havanese - NJ
Woodland Havanese - PA
bonbon Havanese - Dutchess County NY (specific with city as I think I have seen some bad reviews for breeder of same name in other location)
Hairpups - NY

I have not been able to find recommendations for breeders on Long Island, that location would be great if one existed. I did find one right here in NYC (NYC Havanese formerly Jeff's Havanese) but not sure as I am seeing mixed comments not understanding what the problem is. I also am thinking Blossom Havanese in Woodstock is to be avoided from what I have seen in reviews. I have not been able to find much information on Harmony Havanese in West Nyack, NY.

Thanks you so much for any suggestions or help you can give me.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have been researching Havanese breeders in and nearby NYC and also looking at this forum for a while and just joined. It has been interesting reading all the great stories about your pets and seeing images of them I hope I am fortunate to have a Havanese of my own soon and be able to post on that. :) Honestly it has been overwhelming but I feel bit more knowledgeable now that it could be helpful to be on a forum at this point.

I would like to find a great breeder nearby and not having a car or likely access to one it limits area I can select a breeder from. I understand breeders do not ship but I am thinking if within reasonable distance, maybe hour or 2, with access by train or bus I could get there and then make return trip with hired car. I know the most important thing is a reputable breeder but transport home is an issue I have that just has to be considered in selection also.

Young puppy would be great but I am also open to older puppy or even young dog 1 or 2 years or so old.

From a list of about 10 or so that seem to be recommended and reputable I have narrowed it down to a few to look into further and contact maybe 1 or 2 or so. I am currently trying to understand what makes a good breeder and am putting together list of questions for breeder related to that. Anyone with any opinions on these, or can think of any others especially with my problem of easily getting pup home?
My Yuppy Puppy - FL (who will hand deliver but probably I will have to go there first)
Wyndward Havanese - NJ
Woodland Havanese - PA
bonbon Havanese - Dutchess County NY (specific with city as I think I have seen some bad reviews for breeder of same name in other location)
Hairpups - NY

I have not been able to find recommendations for breeders on Long Island, that location would be great if one existed. I did find one right here in NYC (NYC Havanese formerly Jeff's Havanese) but not sure as I am seeing mixed comments not understanding what the problem is. I also am thinking Blossom Havanese in Woodstock is to be avoided from what I have seen in reviews. I have not been able to find much information on Harmony Havanese in West Nyack, NY.

Thanks you so much for any suggestions or help you can give me.
I'll PM you about one of these breeders. I know a number of people on the forum have dogs from Woodland Havanese and are very happy with her as a breeder. Several of them have gone back to her for multiple dogs, which is always a good sign. :)

I don't know Wyndward. I like the fact that some of their dogs are doing sports (speaks to soundness and good temperament) but they say nothing about health testing on their web page. That DOESN'T mean they don't test, but it does mean you need to do more research and ask those questions.

BonBon tests and shows, but when I look at their web site, the only bitches they have listed are spayed. So, unless their page is not up to date, and they have bitches not shown there, they can't be doing much breeding these days! ;)

HairPups has the most comprehensive web site. They say they do most testing, but they don't list hips, which is one of the tests recommended for Havanese. They also don't BAER test all their puppies. Since unilateral (and sometimes full) deafness is STILL a problem in the breed, I wouldn't take a puppy that had not been BAER tested. They do say you can pay extra and have that done in some circumstances. They take non-refundable deposits... another thing I wouldn't find acceptable. Most excellent breeders have waiting lists deep enough that they can just move on to another person on their list if someone backs out. To their credit, they have stopped removing dew claws. Good for them! Dogs need their dew claws! :)

Please remember that you shouldn't limit your search to breeders within train or driving distance. You can get anywhere in the country by plane, and although few good breeders will ship a puppy, MANY are happy to meet you at the airport and hand the puppy off, if you can't get to their home. We are an hour from our airport, but there are several shuttle services that will pick you up for a modest fee. The breeder of two of my dogs is in NC, 2 hours from the nearest airport. So I rented a car to go meet her and the puppies when I got Kodi. When I got Pixel, I WANTED to visit her again because we've gotten to be friends over the years! :) But she would also have brought him to the airport if that had been necessary... I know she's done this for other people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krandall

Thank you for the message. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I will reply to it later.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
krandall

Thank you for the message. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I will reply to it later.
No problem! Just wanted you to be forewarned on the one. Bad business, there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Our Gracie is from woodlands Havanese, and I would not hesitate to get another one from Diane. I know she health tests all of her dogs, including BAER, and she is always available to answer any questions you may have. I see that she has a new letter that's about 2 weeks old. If you contact her, you can let her know that I recommended her. We adopted Gracie from her Mentalist litter 5 years ago. (Would love to adopt another dog from her -- one day, maybe). Good luck with whomever you choose!

Connie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think there is one puppy left Diane got back to me very quickly I just sent application. Not sure what criteria is to be accepted to adopt, especially as I am first time dog owner. If not this I will keep looking. I am still not sure why I have seen negative comments on one in my city that has puppies available also so am continuing to look into that also. Looking at the website I do not see the problems as per the complaints. Again I am new to this and trying to understand what is needed in choosing a breeder.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,660 Posts
I think there is one puppy left Diane got back to me very quickly I just sent application. Not sure what criteria is to be accepted to adopt, especially as I am first time dog owner. If not this I will keep looking. I am still not sure why I have seen negative comments on one in my city that has puppies available also so am continuing to look into that also. Looking at the website I do not see the problems as per the complaints. Again I am new to this and trying to understand what is needed in choosing a breeder.
The one in your city DID have the reputation of being more of a "back yard" breeder, with too many dog, didn't test, didn't show in AKC... I THINK they've tried to rectify a lot of that, though I don't really know much about them. Still, I'd be wary, and check them VERY carefully before going that route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts