Havanese Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened about 30 minutes ago and I’ve been reading online ever since. I did give him a little plain oatmeal to try and dilute it but I’m also wondering if I should try to induce vomiting, probably too late at this point. Our vets office is closed but I’ll contact them in the morning. Any advice??? TIA

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I would think he may vomit or have diarrhea from eating this. I would replace any hard to wash bedding with a towel or blanket to sleep on for tonight in case he does have an upset tummy. hard to believe that innocent looking pup is a butter stealer!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Ernie will likely have some digestive upset and be just fine. However, it is important to be on the lookout for signs of pancreatitis. Acute pancreatitis can triggered by a dog eating a large amount of fat, especially cooked fat. A stick of butter contains a lot of fat for a small dog. He will most likely be fine but please be on the lookout for pancreatitis.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Oh, Ernie! What a naughty boy worrying your momma so! Here is a really good, pretty balanced article about the possible dangers in eating butter, what to look for, and when the dog MIGHT be in trouble that requires veterinary attention. But mostly it looks like its… just messy.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
I would think he may vomit or have diarrhea from eating this. I would replace any hard to wash bedding with a towel or blanket to sleep on for tonight in case he does have an upset tummy. hard to believe that innocent looking pup is a butter stealer!
I thought the same thing and hope you weren’t up all night taking him out! Sundance once stole a piece of birthday cake someone forgot on an end table. He was perfectly happy with himself and seemed to feel okay but there was so much poop, lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the helpful articles! I will watch for the signs of pancreatitis. He has thrown up twice. I’m giving him half servings of his ziwi peaks and some plain oatmeal. He did eat majority of the wrapper so now I’m just hoping to see him pass it. I can tell he’s been feeling pretty bad, hopefully we are past the worst. Now I’ve got to address his buttery beard… 🙄

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the same thing and hope you weren’t up all night taking him out! Sundance once stole a piece of birthday cake someone forgot on an end table. He was perfectly happy with himself and seemed to feel okay but there was so much poop, lol.
DH was up with him multiple times and did all the clean ups.. 😬. I was caring for DD who has also been sick and throwing up. When it rains it pours!!

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Thank you for the helpful articles! I will watch for the signs of pancreatitis. He has thrown up twice. I’m giving him half servings of his ziwi peaks and some plain oatmeal. He did eat majority of the wrapper so now I’m just hoping to see him pass it. I can tell he’s been feeling pretty bad, hopefully we are past the worst. Now I’ve got to address his buttery beard… 🙄
Dogs are pretty resilient when it comes to eating bad stuff. Hope Ernie is better soon.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Give the little monster a soapy bath! He deserves it! LOL!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How is Ernie doing? Did the wrapper “emerge”?
Thanks for checking in. The first night was rough. He was miserable and finally puked twice. I made him spend most of the day yesterday outside with his bed. I’d say he’s completely back to himself today and actually feeling more emboldened to find counter/table food 😑 we are doing our best to keep chairs pushed in and food put away but it’s a struggle when we have kids who are constantly eating. He’s such a stinker. I did see a healthy poop outside this morning that looked fresh so I think the wrapper passed.. one way or the other.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,534 Posts
Thanks for checking in. The first night was rough. He was miserable and finally puked twice. I made him spend most of the day yesterday outside with his bed. I’d say he’s completely back to himself today and actually feeling more emboldened to find counter/table food 😑 we are doing our best to keep chairs pushed in and food put away but it’s a struggle when we have kids who are constantly eating. He’s such a stinker. I did see a healthy poop outside this morning that looked fresh so I think the wrapper passed.. one way or the other.
Awesome!!! Sounds like Ernie “is back”! I know someone who had a golden retriever who got hold of one of those containers that meat comes in. He ate the entire styrofoam thing as well as all the plastic. He did wind up having surgery because the plastic caused an issue. But if Ernie had a good poop, time to celebrate! You are out of the water!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts