Havanese Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’m looking for advice for my dog Charlotte. She has been vomiting and diarrhea for the past two days. We went to the vet yesterday for intervention and today it continued. our vet suggested going to the ER at the animal hospital. We did and just got home. She is fine, got a lot of meds and was told that she will continue to have a to more diarrhea. When we got her home we saw her bum was so raw and they shaved a lot of that area and her tail. It is so RAW. I’m horrified. It must be so painful. They did not tell me what to do for it.

They said that if I had any question I could call but ive been on hold For 30 min.

can I put anything it the skin to protect it?

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Hi,
I’m looking for advice for my dog Charlotte. She has been vomiting and diarrhea for the past two days. We went to the vet yesterday for intervention and today it continued. our vet suggested going to the ER at the animal hospital. We did and just got home. She is fine, got a lot of meds and was told that she will continue to have a to more diarrhea. When we got her home we saw her bum was so raw and they shaved a lot of that area and her tail. It is so RAW. I’m horrified. It must be so painful. They did not tell me what to do for it.

They said that if I had any question I could call but ive been on hold For 30 min.

can I put anything it the skin to protect it?
Unfortunately, I think you need to talk to them. I'd be afraid to advise you, because I'd be afraid that anything we suggested could make t=her try to lick it, which would mean you'd have to put her in a cone... making her even MORE miserable, poor baby! I think I'd wait on hold. :cry:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called back at 10:30pm. They said that I could put Desitin on it. They reported that it was safe for babies and therefore safe for dogs. Yes, then I googled it and it noted that in large amounts it was not good for dogs.
I was going to go out yesterday for it but it was thanksgiving and I did have time in the morning as I was having 17 people for dinner. When I checked again midday, it looked like it was better and healing. I’m so greatful for that and a much better, less sick pup now.

happy thanksgiving

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,578 Posts
Glad Charlotte is improving. Sometimes the best thing is just leaving things alone to heal. I think putting anything “back there” may encourage licking which would only make things worse and in addition she would be ingesting who knows what.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
I’m glad to hear that your poor girlie is feeling better!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
I would not do that in this case! She is JUST recovering from a nasty bout of diarrhea that landed her in the ER. When the bowel is tyat completely emptied, it can take several days to “prime the pump” again. I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She went poop this moring. It was diarrhea and the color of mustard.

I emailed my vet and spoke with them twice. They said that she should not lick her bum, use the cone of shame and I could use any baby rash cream that did not have zinc. The only one that I found was A and D Baby rash cream.

poor thing. She has the cone on now. Its the one from her spay and it is not large enough over near nose….. but good enough for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts