Havanese Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just got a puppy (he is a LassoPoo) his name is Max. Upon his first visit he chased my 8 year old Havanese Coco. He chases after her and smells her butt. My Coco is terrified of him and looks to hide from Max. This has been happening whenever they are together at his house or my house. Please help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Other members will have more help I am sure. Keep the visiting puppy on a leash under strict control, no running loose in your house. I would try to introduce them through a gate, or barrier and it might take multiple visits before your dog feels comfortable. Reward the visitor for calm interaction, and give your dog treats for greeting the visitor at the barricade.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,025 Posts
No dog should be allowed to harass another to the point of causing stress. I'm sure that MAX, a puppy, doesn't mean any harm to COCO, he is just curious, wants to explore and play.

I would introduce the dogs with a lot of supervision, even keeping COCO on your lap to protect her from inquisitive MAX. Sometimes our RICKY will harass his cousin doggie, JOJO who is 5 times his size and weight and three years older. At that point, we put RICKY into 'timeout' until he can play in a more polite manner. RICKY HATES timeout and it only lasts a couple of minutes and then he is allowed back into circulation and at that point he knows has to be more polite - but he is an adult dog with lots of training.

So introducing dogs to each other, especially when one is a puppy, may take some time and intervention. It requires patience, supervision, and training. I am confident COCO and MAX will become best friends , but it is going to take some time.

Reactions: Sheri

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting bait to me i hope this method will get the two to be pals instead keeping this from stree out

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
When we got our Havanese puppy three-years-ago. Patti's Puppy Play was very aggressive with our 70 lb Gooden-doodle named Lucy. Fortunately, Lucy gave Patti a Puppy Pass and put up with her but when she'd had enough Lucy was able remove herself.

Lucy would retreat to her part of the house. Patti were kept separated in the home with Gates for a long period of time. Patti did not have Free access to the older dog until she was almost two years old. Even now we have a gate we sometimes use to keep Patti from pestering ten-year-old Lucy.

@Killcinn gave you good advice. You son's puppy should be on a leash when he visits not only to protect Coco but to keep him from peeing on your floor and getting into things. The visits should be short until the puppy settles down.

Better you go visit the puppy as your son's house. I don't know why some people with puppies think their puppy is welcomed at other's home until they are trained. :unsure:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts