Havanese Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Michelle, Seamus's mom
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am a new member and found this site while researching Havanese. I am the mom of 2 boys; a large lab boy age 8 and a small eskipoo age 9. I would love to get a new baby boy a havanese but am very worried how my eskipoo will handle it. He is VERY much a mommmy's boy and is jealous, not of others around me but of my husband and 22 year old son. He has never snapped or been aggressive but rather barks when they get too close. I do not want to slight the new baby but am so excited to think about that cute little face around the house. Has anyone ever encountered any thing like this and how do you think the new baby as well as my older baby would do. The lab is sooooo gentle and docile, he would welcome anybody or anything! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hi Welcome!!
Well haven't done it with a havanese(my Ollie is 7 months) but in the past I had a dog that was so my baby - growled anytime my husband got near me etc....but - never bothered the baby dog in the family - they shared a crate etc.....

·
Michelle, Seamus's mom
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Olliesmom, that is encouraging! And Ollie is darling!

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Welcome!! We have all havanese but one was VERY much a mommas girl. She was a little ticked off at us - but was fine with the little one. I am sorry but I cannot speak on how a larger dog would do = but you are in the right place to ask questions, someone will have an answer for you!!:D
Laurie

·
Michelle, Seamus's mom
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Laurie-Your little ones are so cute. Did your girl forgive you and how long did it take?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
It took Lexi about a week or so to forgive me and look me in the eye - but she also has been pooping every so often in the house - she has done it about 4 times since Logan came home. I just have not caught her in the act yet to scold her. They get used to a new one pretty quickly.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
I also would be concerned about bringing in a new pup.Your other dog needs to be submissive to you and not "claim"you as he does.He is dominating you...and if he continues on with that behavior,I think it could be bad.You just need to watch a few episodes of "the dog whisperer".......it kind of gives you new perspective and lets you see more from the dogs point of view.Then you can get your other dog under control first,in time you'll probably be able to bring a hav into your family.:)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Micki2much: I agree that you should get better control over your eskipoo. Eskimo Spitz and Poodle I'm guessing. Is he a small dog? I've attached a couple of pictures of Sam and my old Keesha when we first got Sam. Keesha was very good with him. But I never left them alone EVER. Accidents can happen, Sam was only 3 lbs and Keesha 95 lbs. If she sat on him by accident she could seriously hurt him. Keesha went to "Rainbow Bridge" a few months later.:( Your lab should also be watched closely, with a little puppy.

·
Michelle, Seamus's mom
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! Well my concern was not really with my 117lb lab (except that yes accidents could happen). He is THE most gentle dog I have ever met! Children and dogs seem to always pick on him and he is always thinking it is fun! He is so happy all the time. It is my 15 lb dog (eskipoo) that is the "boss". He is 9, he has never snapped or went to bite he just likes to bark at my husband, son or Ozzie (the lab) if they get too much of my attention. If I continue he gets his feelings hurt and puts his back to me for a few hours!!!

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
LOL, Those pictures are so cute! My Hav Cooper would hang on my Bichons face, ears, tail, legs, anything he could get ahold of, but Lily is a very submissive 18lb dog. Lily and Cooper often play with my best friends 2 Corgies who are much more dominant. They don't put up with Cooper at all, but are always lovin on Lily. With their little puppy attitudes, I might be a bit leary of leaving a puppy alone with a more dominant and jealous acting dog.

Beverly

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I tend to agree about getting your Eskipoo in a better place before you add a Havanese especially a little puppy .
The breeder is going to ask you questions before she places the dog with you anyway . She would be reluctant to place a puppy if she feels it is going to be stressed or placed in a dangerous position ..
This dog is dominant and you need to change its behavior first . I am not saying it is impossible and it will not work but I think it is very risky right now .Better to rule on safety and wait . You do not want to cause unecessary stress to your dogs and your family ..

. The Eskipoo thinks he is Charles in charge .
He may like a break -
You need to to start changing the behavior . You should really get professional help - not because I think you cannot do it on your own . it is just so hard to do it by yourself and they have all the right tools . Also the reason I suggest it is so they can support and help and you have someone you can explain the behavior to and they will help you with the solution right away ..
As to the lab I am sure he is a sweetie but remember size is a factor . He is a big guy .
Some Havanese weigh only 3- 4 lbs when you get them home and you need to be so deligent and watch them so closely ..
Take your time and do not be impulsive just realize that you need to be very aware and attentive and evaluate whether you have the time and patience ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts