Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I joined the forum a little over four years ago when we got our first Havanese, Penelope. Life got busy and I lost touch with the forum.
Penelope is doing really well. she passed her CGC about three years ago.
She made a cross country move with us from MA to CA. I think she’s a better traveler than I am!!!
I do notice covid has made her somewhat reactive to dogs when on leash, but we’ve found a trainer in our new city and we are getting back out into
the world!
Penelope has a new sister, a now 16 week old Havanese whom we have named Isabelle.
I’m enjoying catching up on old posts!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
Welcome back! Isabelle looks like an adorable little sister!

·
2005-2021
1,619 Posts
Welcome Back Genie and congrats to Penelope for passing her CGC. Isabelle is adorable. Hope to hear more from you. :)

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
I love your gate, BTW! can you tell us where you got it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, We ordered two of these gates when Penelope was a puppy. They’re quite versatile. We’ve used them to divide rooms and also as a small expen for Penny when she was little.
We ordered the from a catalog… Frontgate.com.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
Yes, We ordered two of these gates when Penelope was a puppy. They’re quite versatile. We’ve used them to divide rooms and also as a small expen for Penny when she was little.
We ordered the from a catalog… Frontgate.com.
Thanks! That (and some of their other gates!) are REALLY nice! They are a lot more expensive than standard "baby gates", but we have two wide doorways that standard pressure mount baby gates don't work for, and one leads into our family room, where because of oritental rugs, leather couches and toxic plants, n dogs of any age are ever allowed unsupervised. So it is ALWAYS gated off. I would't MIND paying a fair amount for a "furniture quality" gate that wouldn't make our house look like an "armed camp". I don't mind the "baby gate look" while raising a puppy, but EVENTUALLY, it would be nice to have our house look like a "normal" home again! LOL!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I totally agree! That’s why we invested in these gates. The wood matched our woodwork in the old house perfectly and we could keep Penny safe and contained without the metal expen look.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
I have built several gates because I plan to use them in several places permanently and I prefer them to look like part of our home. It is really hard to find gates and expens that are furniture style!

One thing I have learned is that in some places I prefer the wood frame with wire in the center of the panels, like wire ex-pens, and like these! Most of what I have built is white wood because we have so much white painted woodwork. But white stands out, and black wire disappears, the same white white painted stairs stand out and black metal stairs disappear. It’s just personal preference, and situational depending on what looks right in the room - but I got one of them wrong. The cabinets below the bookcases in our upstairs loft area have details I really love and the white pretty much hides the cabinets. Something like the wire and wood from Frontgate would have been better!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,498 Posts
I have built several gates because I plan to use them in several places permanently and I prefer them to look like part of our home. It is really hard to find gates and expens that are furniture style!

One thing I have learned is that in some places I prefer the wood frame with wire in the center of the panels, like wire ex-pens, and like these! Most of what I have built is white wood because we have so much white painted woodwork. But white stands out, and black wire disappears, the same white white painted stairs stand out and black metal stairs disappear. It’s just personal preference, and situational depending on what looks right in the room - but I got one of them wrong. The cabinets below the bookcases in our upstairs loft area have details I really love and the white pretty much hides the cabinets. Something like the wire and wood from Frontgate would have been better!
I have a friend with large dogs, who is also a trainer. She sometimes takes dogs into her home for boarding and training, on top of her own. She had GORGEOUS wrought iron gates made and permanently installed in several doorways and across the bottom of her stairs. I adore them! Unfortunately, the man who made them for her retired and moved away, and I haven’t found anyone else who does custom work like that, or I would!

Reactions: Genie1000

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
I have a friend with large dogs, who is also a trainer. She sometimes takes dogs into her home for boarding and training, on top of her own. She had GORGEOUS wrought iron gates made and permanently installed in several doorways and across the bottom of her stairs. I adore them! Unfortunately, the man who made them for her retired and moved away, and I haven’t found anyone else who does custom work like that, or I would!

From ShamaPapa:

Her Royal Highness Shama, first of her name, Queen of the House and Deck, Lady of the Yard, and Protector of the Pack has a Pupperton ex-pen. They are a bit expensive, but they are custom made. You can pick the type of wood you want as well as the color of stain. They come in a selection of sizes (2x6, 3x3, 4x4, and others). They are easy to assemble and disassemble, and very easy to transport, so no matter where we go, her royal highness has her "apartment" with her. Their customer service has always been fantastic for us too.

We bought a 2x6 with a cover for Her Majesty. We use the cover, it is three wood panels hinged, as a gate for doors/hallways when needed (not much anymore). I have also used the cover as an extension of Her Majesty's crate. I just tie the ends to the corners of the crate around the door, and she has a small area outside the crate to eat, drink, etc., and the crate to relax in all while keeping her contained. I usually do this for short trips/day trips to relatives or friends where she isn't allowed to roam free.

The pandemic knocked Steve out of his brick and mortar store (which was originally located about 90 minutes from us in MN), but he can now be found on Etsy as Kennelmaster. The Pupperton website is still active too, as far as I am aware, but he may be easier to contact on Etsy.

This is Her Majesty's Pupperton with the cover to the left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts