Havanese Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased two Havanese brothers in September. They are 8 months old now. Were 4 months old when we brought home. That was kinda scary since I have always got my dogs at a younger age but, they are doing really well except for the potty training. I have never owned dogs with long hair, but I HAD researched Havanese for several years so I knew what up keep would be ahead of time. Plus, I am retired and wanted a fufu dog. Previously have owned Chihuahuas, dashhounds, Jack Russells, Min Pin, Doberman, English Pointers, and several wonderful Heinz 57's.
My first question is about grooming products. I am told to make sure the boys are damp before I comb out or brush. But the detangler I bought, Biosilk (detangling and Shine spray) I am not to overly impressed. It seems like it leaves a tacky coating on their fur and I am not seeing this Shine, not like product that I use on my own hair to make it shine. Am I missing something or doing something wrong. They are bathed every one to two weeks. And we have not had much issues with matting. Can someone tell me if there is a better spray product out there for daily use? Thanks and glad for any advice anyone has out there. Clare

· Registered
999 Posts
I can't help since I don't really use a grooming spray I have tried a couple and haven't liked them. My boy doesn't get tangled much but I don't keep his hair super long and his hair really shines when he is freshly bathed for several days.
The ones I tried seemed to make his hair sticky though and I did not like the smell. One smelled like pee! Not really what I was after. Are you going to keep them long?
Oh, and Welcome!

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
I use Chris Christensen Ice on Ice as my grooming spray. If I have a dog who really needs more conditioning to their coat (Kodi did when he was younger and in full coat) I also added a squirt of his regular conditioner (CC Spectrum 10) to the grooming spray bottle)

I think one mistake people make hen they hear that they need the dog to be "damp" when they are grooming is to use too much spray. I use JUST BARELY enough to keep the hair from getting staticky and fly-away. Not really damp-through. The only time I use more would be directly on a mat that I need to work out.

Whether your boys actually get "shiny" can depend on the texture of their coats. Some Havanese have shiny coats, and others don't.

Reactions: skubler

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I have been misled. I was told to make sure they are thoroughly damp before every brushing. So I was taking this seriously. They acted like I was going to pull all their fur out if I didn't. And no they never get bad matts. Small knots where their harnesses are but I untangle those with my fingers. I have ordered the Ice on Ice for them because I don't even like the smell of what I am using. And will follow your advice. Yes, I am letting them both grow out for now. I orginally had puppy cuts when they came from the kennel, just because I had no idea what I was doing yet. But, I don't find it an issue to brush them daily. And puts them both to sleep. And they feel so wonderful!!!. Okay another icky question. Master Leo likes to eat poop!!! I have never had a dog that does this and I am curbing this disgusting habit somewhat, but not totally. Sometimes I am just not fast enough. Yes tried the putting chile power or cinnamon on it, I just as well pick it up. This is happening in our fenced area more than anywhere else. I am using Bil-Jac puppy food which is what our breeder feed them. And any time I have tried to do a switcheroo, yes I do it slowly, I end up with loose stools. Oh well, any suggestions are welcome. Thank you both. Clare

· Registered
999 Posts
My Shadow was a poop eater when I got him at 10 months(rehomed by his breeder). He could reach and get it while it came out! I did get a product from the vet called For-Bid. They sold it by the envelope, you can buy a box of it on Amazon. It helped.
I also started teaching him the Leave it command. He still displays quite an interest in his poop so I tell him leave it and he does. I clean it up immediately. He is my first Havanese and my dog ever to even display an interest in eating poop.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
They have done studies that have showed that all the products sold for poop eating are basically ineffective. (scientifically speaking. perhaps it seems to help a specific dog, but statistically speaking there is no difference in behavior in a population of dogs over time) But poop eating remedies is big business because it grosses people out so much! LOL!

I get it! I hate it too! I have only one poop eater, and she ONLY eats her son's poop, so I know EXACTLY where the behavior comes from... it is misplaced maternal instinct... totally unneeded now that he is 22 months old! LOL! But I can manage it, because she will ONLY eat it when it is "fresh from the dog". So I let her out first to do her business, THEN let him out, so she can't wait around to grab it. She wouldn't think of touching the other dog's poop! I go out later to clean up.

Studies HAVE shown that most dogs are unlikely to eat poop that is not fresh, and that picking up poop as soon as they go is the best way of preventing this behavior. But it can be somewhat helpful to know that it is TOTALLY natural behavior, and that it can even be beneficial for their gut biome.

Oh, another interesting tidbit that I picked up on poop eating. Even if a dog's poop contains worms or worm eggs, they are not at a stage that they are infectious for the first two days after they are on the ground. This is why dogs are less likely, instinctively to eat older poop. The older poop degrades, and the worm eggs move into the soil to disperse and reinfect other animals. That's why it's important to keep your yard picked up regularly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts