Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fezzik is almost 9 months old and those little ribs are getting a bit hard to find. When do I start easing back on the amount of food he inhales? I honestly don't remember how old Jack was when I cut back his food to 2 meals a day. It was a really long time ago.

The starving piglet eats 1.5 Stella & Chewy patties for breakfast and dinner. Lunch is 1 pattie or less, depending on how many training treats he has gotten. Should I drop the lunch meal or reduce breakfast and dinner?

I can't have a roly-poly pup. :)

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Well, Ducky does a lot of training, but based on that, I have already dropped his lunch. He is not thin. ;) He will be 16 weeks on Monday.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm.... I think I will drop his lunch and see how it goes.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
hmm.... I think I will drop his lunch and see how it goes.
Honestly, I’ve never had a puppy eating lunch at that age. Even if need to adjust his calorie intake up or down, I’d do it in his breakfast or dinner.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he is a solid little thing. I have to drag him on the scale and check his weight. He is still shorter than the cat but I think he outweighs him now.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
he is a solid little thing. I have to drag him on the scale and check his weight. He is still shorter than the cat but I think he outweighs him now.
He very well could be getting chunky (Perry gets 2 S&C patties for 1 meal and 1/4 cup Fromm's kibble for the other and he's around 11 pounds) - but also know that as they get fluffier, especially if they have heavier coats, they can feel "chunky". I know when Perry's coat is getting long he feels "fat" (not just looks it) just from the thickness of his hair - the minute I cut him his ribs reappear :).

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope... he is chunky. :p I has been stuck in a boot for the last 3 weeks. (Tendonitis.. so annoying) So Fezzik hasn't been getting as much exercise as he is used to.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
Wow! That’s a big one for one of Linda’s puppies!
I weighed him. Fezzik is 9.7 lbs, exactly 1 lb heavier than the cat.
So VERY close to Daddy's weight!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
nope... he is chunky. :p I has been stuck in a boot for the last 3 weeks. (Tendonitis.. so annoying) So Fezzik hasn't been getting as much exercise as he is used to.
It's always hard when either you or they have reduced activity to cut down their food to compensate. Luckily (?) for me Perry was slightly under weight before his recent confinement so I haven't had to reduce the food too much - though I do think he's gained a bit so I'm going to start to reduce his kibble a bit (forgot to ask how much he weighed at the vet yesterday).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our breeder said 2 Stella and chewy puppy patties or 1 big patty 4x day til 3 months. At 3-6 months, drop to 3x day. At 6 months, drop to 2x day.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our breeder said 2 Stella and chewy puppy patties or 1 big patty 4x day til 3 months. At 3-6 months, drop to 3x day. At 6 months, drop to 2x day.
yeah... I missed that 'drop to 2x day at 6 months' calendar reminder. LOL! No worries. It isn't a problem that can't be fixed. I just have to be more alert.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
yeah... I missed that 'drop to 2x day at 6 months' calendar reminder. LOL! No worries. It isn't a problem that can't be fixed. I just have to be more alert.
That's the good thing - they get slightly chunky, you cut back portions for a while til they're where you want them to be....

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts
That's the good thing - they get slightly chunky, you cut back portions for a while til they're where you want them to be....
Unlike US, they don't have thumbs and can't get into the ice cream without help! LOL!

·
Registered
31 Posts
So our pup was at the vet today and she’s 5.7 lbs. Talked to breeder about a play date with 2 siblings who she’s boarding, they are 7 lbs! I re-read the Stella and Chewy puppy Patty label and 5 lbs she should have 12 1/2 patties a day! I’ve been under feeding her this month! But the breeder had said 2 puppy patties 4x day until 3 months (which is higher than the S&c package, which said 3 1/2 patties per day under 5 lbs), and drop to 3x day from 3-6 months. She did say 1/3 c per serving as well, so I’ve assumed 2 patties = 1/3 cup. stupid me.

Now I can’t sleep for thinking I’ve starved my puppy for 3 weeks. 😭

tomorrow she’s getting a pile of puppy patties and I’m measuring volume. I feel like a bad pup parent.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
So our pup was at the vet today and she’s 5.7 lbs. Talked to breeder about a play date with 2 siblings who she’s boarding, they are 7 lbs! I re-read the Stella and Chewy puppy Patty label and 5 lbs she should have 12 1/2 patties a day! I’ve been under feeding her this month! But the breeder had said 2 puppy patties 4x day until 3 months (which is higher than the S&c package, which said 3 1/2 patties per day under 5 lbs), and drop to 3x day from 3-6 months. She did say 1/3 c per serving as well, so I’ve assumed 2 patties = 1/3 cup. stupid me.

tomorrow she’s getting a pile of puppy patties and I’m measuring volume. I feel like a bad pup parent.
I didn’t feed patties as a puppy, so it might be different, but I don’t think you’re too far off or the vet would have mentioned she seemed underweight. Plus that seems like more than what I fed when mine did patties only. I’m sure it’s not way off, but just to reassure you :) It’s great you have a good relationship with your vet and your breeder, I’m sure that helped you catch it early, and that makes you a great puppy parent!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn’t feed patties as a puppy, so it might be different, but I don’t think you’re too far off or the vet would have mentioned she seemed underweight. Plus that seems like more than what I fed when mine did patties only. I’m sure it’s not way off, but just to reassure you :) It’s great you have a good relationship with your vet and your breeder, I’m sure that helped you catch it early, and that makes you a great puppy parent!
Thank you for the reassurance. I can’t fall asleep I feel so guilty. She’s going to get a big breakfast and measuring by volume. At least it wasn’t too long, but if the breeder hadn’t reached out for a play date, I’d not have even looked at the bag. Ugh.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,500 Posts

You can’t really measure food accurately by volume, ESPECIALLY across types. 1/3 cup is PROBABLY referring to some kind of kibble. Fund ouy how many CALORIES the vet suggests she should be getting at this point and figure out her serving size that way.

Reactions: Sabrina Henneman

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thank you for the reassurance. I can’t fall asleep I feel so guilty. She’s going to get a big breakfast and measuring by volume. At least it wasn’t too long, but if the breeder hadn’t reached out for a play date, I’d not have even looked at the bag. Ugh.
If the vet didn't say she was underweight I would be cautious about upping her food too much - what you're feeding her might be exactly what she needs and much more might give you a chubby puppy :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts