Havanese Forum banner

Hmm... Fezzik is starting to feel a little chunky.

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Melissa Brill 
#1 ·
Fezzik is almost 9 months old and those little ribs are getting a bit hard to find. When do I start easing back on the amount of food he inhales? I honestly don't remember how old Jack was when I cut back his food to 2 meals a day. It was a really long time ago.

The starving piglet eats 1.5 Stella & Chewy patties for breakfast and dinner. Lunch is 1 pattie or less, depending on how many training treats he has gotten. Should I drop the lunch meal or reduce breakfast and dinner?

I can't have a roly-poly pup. :)

#2 ·
Well, Ducky does a lot of training, but based on that, I have already dropped his lunch. He is not thin. ;) He will be 16 weeks on Monday.

#4 ·
Honestly, I’ve never had a puppy eating lunch at that age. Even if need to adjust his calorie intake up or down, I’d do it in his breakfast or dinner.

#7 ·
He very well could be getting chunky (Perry gets 2 S&C patties for 1 meal and 1/4 cup Fromm's kibble for the other and he's around 11 pounds) - but also know that as they get fluffier, especially if they have heavier coats, they can feel "chunky". I know when Perry's coat is getting long he feels "fat" (not just looks it) just from the thickness of his hair - the minute I cut him his ribs reappear :).

#10 ·
It's always hard when either you or they have reduced activity to cut down their food to compensate. Luckily (?) for me Perry was slightly under weight before his recent confinement so I haven't had to reduce the food too much - though I do think he's gained a bit so I'm going to start to reduce his kibble a bit (forgot to ask how much he weighed at the vet yesterday).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.