Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the e-mail that I just sent out to the e-mail groups:

To all Havanese owners, exhibitors and handlers:

The plans are coming together for a remarkable anniversary celebration for the Havanese Club of America. 2009 will be extra special for two reasons: This will be our 10th anniversary of our 1st national specialty, and it will also be our 30th year together as a Breed Club. The excitement is brewing and we sincerely hope that you will be there to join us!

Below, please find a brief overview of the schedule to assist in your planning:
Tuesday, August 18th - Travel day
Wednesday, August 19th - Seminars, HCA Meet 'n Greet
Thursday, August 20th - Regional Specialty, Sweepstakes, HRI Reception
Friday, August 21st - National Specialty, Dinner
Saturday, August 22nd - National Specialty, Awards Dinner
Sunday, August 23rd - Travel day​

The Westin Lombard has made our block of rooms available by a customized web site. You may book your room for the Havanese Club of America National Specialty by visiting this link: http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=0806139207&key=6BFCB

Room rates are:
$129/nt for 1 or 2 occupants
$149 for 3 occupants
$169 for 4 occupants

All dogs must be crated when owner/handler is out of the guest room. The Westin Lombard is a smoke free hotel in all areas, including the lobby, guest rooms, restaurant, and meeting facilities. Any smoking will need to be done outdoors.​

If you are interested in the opportunity to have your rendition of a 2009 HCA Anniversary logo used, keep watching your e-mail. Claudia McCracken will be sending out information about the contest in the next couple of days.

We will be sharing details as they become available. If you are interested in working on the Show Committee, please contact me directly with the area of interest noted or join us at the HCA National Specialty e-mail group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HCA_national_specialty

Excited for the coming year,

Kimberly Gattey-Wood

Permission granted to crosspost.
Ryan, feel free to snag any of this information for your other topic where you are compiling details. :)

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathy, you can make your reservations now. Click on the link on the top right that says "Book A Room". It is written in small letters.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I am soo excited. I think we will have an awesome time. Look forward to seeing you all again and meeting new people as well.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
I'm so excited! I love Chicago and the venue looks fabulous!
What could be better than a week with wonderful friends and beautiful Havs? :whoo:

Beverly

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Kimberly,
Can anyone come up with a entry for the National logo? Will you post that info here when Claudia sends it out?

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, Julie. The contest is open to anyone who wants to enter. With your talent, I'd love to see you give it a shot!

I will try to copy any pertinent info over here, but in case I forget, I hope that Kathy and some of the others will consider copying the info too. In fact, feel free to join up for the mailing group at the bottom of my original message. That way you'll be included on info as soon as it comes out. That is open to anyone interested in the details too.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Sounds exciting already!!! :whoo:

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just sent this e-mail out to the groups:
National Specialty Corrections

Please take note that there are a couple of corrections to the e-mail message that was distributed yesterday.

In regard to the schedule, the HRI Reception will be on Thursday evening as usual. It was mistakenly listed under Wednesday.

In addition, I misspoke in saying that this will be our 10th national specialty. In reality, this is the 10th anniversary of our 1st national specialty. The focal celebration will be that this is our 30th year anniversary as a breed club.

Lastly, the logo contest information will go out next week, so please watch for an email from Claudia McCracken on those details. The artwork submissions should reflect our specialty location (Chicago), our dogs, and celebrate our 30th anniversary.

Thank you for the wonderful response on volunteering so far. The 2009 HCA Show Committee is coming together very well. We only have a few committees where we still need chairpersons to fill those areas, including Seminars, Grounds, Advertising and Lunches. If any of these pique your interest, please reply privately.

Working with you,

Kimberly Gattey-Wood

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the latest email. It just went out a couple of minutes ago:
Havanese owners, breeders, and exhibitors:

Our 30th anniversary celebration is beginning to take shape! Our room reservation block is beginning to show quite a few reservations. Thank you for booking your rooms early!

In the last couple of days, I have received a couple of emails that people have been told that our room block was full or only had one room left. That is not true. We still have many rooms available and I have asked them to go into the system and correct the error. That correction was made this afternoon.

Originally, our room block only had rooms with two queen beds in them, but today they added a few Deluxe King rooms after being asked for suites. The Deluxe King rooms have a king bed, a sleeper sofa, a kitchenette and a 42" flat screen television. There are just a few of these rooms available at $199 per night for one or two people occupying the room.

If you have not made your hotel reservation yet, please go to this web site http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=0806139207&key=6BFCB
and use the link on the top right hand side of the page that says "book a room".

Rooms with two queen beds are available at the following rates:
$129/nt for 1 or 2 occupants
$149 for 3 occupants
$169 for 4 occupants

Deluxe King rooms are available for $199/nt for 1 or 2 occupants

All dogs must be crated when owner/handler is out of the guest room. The Westin Lombard is a smoke free hotel in all areas, including the lobby, guest rooms, restaurant, and meeting facilities. Any smoking will need to be done outdoors.​

Below, please find a brief overview of the schedule to assist in your planning:
Tuesday, August 18th - Travel day
Wednesday, August 19th - Seminars, HCA Membership Meet & Greet
Thursday, August 20th - Regional Specialty, Sweepstakes, HRI Reception
Friday, August 21st - National Specialty, Dinner
Saturday, August 22nd - National Specialty, Awards Dinner
Sunday, August 23rd - Travel day​

If you have any questions that are not able to be answered above, feel free to contact me directly (by using the e-mail link).

Permission to cross-post this information is granted.

Kimberly Gattey-Wood

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I'd love that contest info too. It sounds like a lot of fun.

·
My Dogs Mom
3,476 Posts
Good thing you spotted and corrected the room misinformation!
Carole

·
Ivy Hills Havanese
462 Posts
Does anyone know what time the seminars would start. I was thinking of coming on Wednesday morning but I don't want to miss any of the seminars.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jennifer, we haven't even begun to get that far into the planning yet. I have a tentative seminar chair, but we're only at that point for now.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
What is the best airline to travel with a dog? I'm trying to work out the details to get Me & Delilah to the National.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Debbie, here is a chart that is fairly current. It was last updated near the end of November:
http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/AirfareWatchBlog/tabid/54/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/867/Default.aspx

I like flying United with a show dog, but their fees have really gone up for in-cabin pets. US Airways is decent, but I always seem to encounter one employee that gives me a little extra hassle about the dog. American and Continental have been just fine too. I haven't used JetBlue, but others have said good things about flying with them.

Expedia.com has a chart that covers more airlines and additional fees: http://www.expedia.com/daily/flights/airline-fees.asp

I forgot that I've had a couple of people suggest I start using Virgin Airlines. I haven't used them yet, but they do sound like a good option. I hadn't heard any complaints about them yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts