Havanese Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Looking for tips on house training our 15 week old Havanese Poodle Cross (we got him 2 days ago, so were all still settling in). He's very different to our Labrador who was very reliable at this age - perhaps because he was a much bigger dog, with a bigger bladder.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Hi Looking for tips on house training our 15 week old Havanese Poodle Cross (we got him 2 days ago, so were all still settling in). He's very different to our Labrador who was very reliable at this age - perhaps because he was a much bigger dog, with a bigger bladder.
Here is an article I wrote for my puppy owners. It can be used by anyone, though. If your puppy was not started with indoor training by your breeder, start with a VERY small space, like the phot I show as “Puppy Jail”, and enlarge as your puppy learns the ropes.

Here is a potty training FAQ too:

Reactions: Maggiemae

· Registered
8 Posts
I had big dogs too. Toy dogs very different. My 12 lbs mini Aussiedoodle took 7 mos to train. I was at my wits end. At least I know now with Vera it will take awhile. Good luck. To you and me.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am new here and own two very handsome, exciting Havanese gentlemen which I got at 4 months of age and are just turning 8 months on the 25th. I am not sure whether I am succeeding in house training. I used a puppy play pen when I have to be away which they do not piddle in and the rest of the house with both disposable pads and washable. They are still not alerting me when they have to go. I know I am dealing with winter here but I am worried I made a mistake using potty pads to begin with but I cannot be with them every second of the day. I am retired but still have chores to do. They have really come along way in the last month in training and behaving the way I want them to in the house. I am really seeing them calming down and just being with me. And I don't have an issue with accidents, heck we all have them. But I have been reading that using the puppy pads is not the right way to go about it, I should have hooked them both to me by leash and never let them have any opportunity to pee without my knowledge. I just don't want two boys lifting their leg on everything in sight. I had that issue with my Jack Russell and Chihuahua that I never could resolve without doggie diapers which is not what I want with my two handsome boys. Anyone with any advise????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts