Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I need some help with the housebreaking thing. My puppy is almost 7 months. He sleeps in his crate willingly and sleeps through the night since we got him at 3 months old. He is still having frquent accidents, but also has started to mark in several rooms of the house. I know that he is marking because he has the capacity to hold his bladder over night, and was walked prior to leaving the small amount of urine in these rooms. (Usually on a rug!)
Parker was neutered almost 2 weeks ago.
He still also poops in several different locations in the house intermittingly.
Parker gets lots of attention from everyone, but mostly from my husband during the day on weekdays because the kids and I are out of the house at school and working and hubby is retired.
I am so frustrated!
I have done "alpha" training with him- I know the bit about slowly increasing the size of the area that he is allowed in - and we have done that. We have made each area an "inside" place by playing with him in these areas and staying in these areas to communicate the difference between "inside and "outside".
It was easier to train my kids!
I have to constantly watch him wherever he is for chewing and for peeing!
How long does this last and does anyone have any suggestions? And what is this new marking behavior about and how do I stop it?
Thanks
Lynn

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Wow Lynn, I never had that problem at 7 months. Mine were trained at about 6 months (give or take an accident maybe once a week or so). Maybe he has a bladder infection. YOu should have the vet check that out. Logan at 15 weeks also seems to be marking a bit. The amount he deposits is so tiny, I cant imagine it cause he had "to go". He doesnt get fixed for a while so I also have to be very observant of all his behavior. Good Luck!!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I have a problem with Sam "marking" anytime he gets into the bathrooms he will pee on the toilet. I have to keep the doors closed or gates. It is very frustrating because I have a toddler who is in the process to potty training. I think this is something we will just have to live with. At least it is washable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Laurie.
What exactlydid you do to housebreak your puppy?
I do not think it is a UTI because he sleeps throught the night with no problem.
I am not sure I understand the dog "psychology " of marking if he is not the alpha! I guess we need to understandthis behavior more. I will let you know what I find out!
Lynn

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Lynn, I can say that we are doing exactly the same thing with Logan that we did with Lily & Lexi - but he seems to be responding differently. I have been using the crate a little more, I have a small one that I can carry around so he is always with me. I take him out, if he goes I let him play for a while, then out again, then into the crate for a while. I hate doing it, and feel guilty but it has meant less accidents. I just cant figure out why he doesnt get it, but the girls did. He does seem to be holding his poop better, but to me, thats the easier one to clean up! Good luck!!

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
I think I would make sure he is not smelling where he went before.Super,Super good clean-up is Most Important!Walmart sells a spray and we used that to take out the "scent",even after I was postitive we had it all cleaned up.Have you tried the bells?With Quince,I bell trained him in about 10 days.My sheltie learned it first:rolleyes: .It has been wonderful.The first while,they are annoying with the frequent bell ringing,to go play,just for fun,or to test you...but if you make them go outside each and every single time they ring that bell,they quickly learn,ring bell=go potty.When I leave the house for more then just 10-15 minutes,I crate Quincy,not because of pottying,but because he loves to get into the garbage!:mad: Hope this gives you some ideas to help.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Thanks Julie, yes we are a little nutty with the cleaning up, I use the natures miracle & he never does go where he went before so I think it is working. I think I just have to be more patient.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I remember when Ollie was about 4-5 months (he is 7 now but we got him at 9 weeks so we started earlier than you) I was exhausted and at wits end with going outside over and over again - then one day it just seemd like it all clicked and we have not had a single accident since then - now i will be the first to say that accidents can happen anythime so i do expect them - but he has been soooo good! I call it "crp" :D - crate - routine and patience!! -

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
With your family not being home all the time throughout the day,it can and will take longer.....don't get frustrated,though I know it can be!He will mature and figure it out.He is probably just so excited to see you all and be with you all,he is piddling.Even us old Mom's can do that!:D :eek:

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Julie - thanks for reminding me about us moms:eek: :eek: We do go home at noon and then again at 2-2:30 for Logan so he still sees us, but does piddle when we come in. I just needed to vent a little - sorry - I will shut up now.
Laurie

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Sounds like it might be time to take a few steps back in the potty training....
Don't let him have free run of the house. Confine him to just a few rooms. I have walk-thru baby gate up in my hallway. My dogs have run of the kitchen, diningroom and livingroom. Right now, I have an x-pen up across the diningroom, because of the rain, they think they don't have to go out and pee.....GRRRRR! So I don't let them back on the carpet in the livingroom until we go a few days with no pee in the diningroom.

As for the marking, have you tried a belly band with him? From what I understand, they learn that if they are wearing a belly band, then they don't mark. they don't like the wet sensation of the belly band if they mark in it.

Hope this helps!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I have heard of belly bands but have never seen one. Any suggestions on where to find one and how to use it? Is it like a diaper for boys?

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
It's a band that wraps around their belly, covering their penis. That way, if they do lift their leg or pee in the house, it goes on the (washable) belly band and not on your furniture!

My little guy isn't lifting his leg yet, but I am going to make my own when the time comes. Here are a couple of pictures that someone sent me of some made with tube socks and velcro. They seem easy enough to make, and then you put a pantyliner or light pad in there to absorb the pee.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
I'm going to give the belly bands a try on Cooper. He's 13 months now and still not 100% reliable. He CAN be. He doesn't mark or lift his leg, but will pee close to the door occationally.
We have a bell, but he rings it all the time. He loves going out. I'm not sure how to make a "downside" to ringing the bell and then not going when he gets outside. Any ideas? It doesn't matter if we stay out a long time waiting for him to go, he loves being out. He'll lay by the door on his back and just play with the bells.
Argggg, sometimes I feel I must be the worst Hav mommy ever!

Beverly

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
MopTop: Thanks for the pictures and info. I'll certainly try that, they don't look hard to make. Thanks again:)

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
Yoda is 11 months old now and every once in a while he will lift his leg out side . So far he does not mark but he does let us know when he is up set with us by peeing on the carpet GRRR. he does this after we take him out side to go potty what a little brat he has been lately I hate to see what my daughter is going to do when we go to hawaii in 2 weeks My poor carpet.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I think I would try the belly band...I liked the idea of making them out of tube socks...that is pretty clever. Who would have thought that. I want a boy but not a fan with the marking....I will probably have him wear the belly band. I have seen them at Petsmart and Petco as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My pup is doing the same thing. I'm so frustrated. He's about 10 weeks old and we've only had him two weeks. And I'd say he was about 95% pad trained, rarely having a miss.

Now he's progressively getting worse with this marking. It's not a bladder thing because he empties his bladder on his pad completely. He's just leaving a little bit here, a little there. He's contained to one room but I was still cleaning up a dozen times. He went to the vet today and he was then in super marking mode. But he was last night too with no reason too. I spent the entire day chasing him every time he went sniffing but he was so fast that most of the time I was unsuccessful.

I was totally stressed today because I couldn't get any studying done because I had to clean up all day. Ugh!

I hope there is help for this because it's so frustrating.

-Christy

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
What a co-incidence! I was reading these older posts today too!

Rufus is 6 months old now and not pottying in the house. He IS marking around town though. :( This isn't a peeing thing, not a leakage problem, and not a health issue I'm sure. It's just plain old male marking with him! He KNOWS not to pee in the house, but when we're in a store or walking down the street--everything seems to be fair game. :( He's scheduled for his neuter on Thursday. Will this help along with some training?

Christy

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
My pup is doing the same thing. I'm so frustrated. He's about 10 weeks old and we've only had him two weeks.

-Christy
OH! haha!! I missed that! Hello Christy! I'M a Christy too! I wonder if it's "marking" when they are so young? Maybe he is a really dominant little guy? Or maybe it's a leakage problem? Has he had a recent check up at the vets? Congrats on getting him, he sure is cute.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts