Havanese Forum banner

Housetrained Dog

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't do the poll fast enough. UGH

OK. Since I am doing my research. I was just wondering if your dog is outside trained, indoor trained or both. I know some of you mentioned both but the book I am reading says you will confuse them.

I thought this would be interesting. I think you can only vote once so if you have more than one dog, I guess you will have to answer with the majority or the answer you feel most confortable with.

This includes only housetrained dogs not puppies. Puppies are in process...
Lets see what the results are.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry. I also accidently made it a public poll and cannot go back and change it. So, you name will show up under the poll result. OOPS.

I think most of you have already said what you do anyway............

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
When we first got Ricky home, we had him training for outdoor potty. It meant going up and down the deck stairs 20x/day, rain or shine, but it worked for the most part. He would go either on the grass or on a path of river rocks which was fine with us.

This was fall and because winter here can be very cold and snowy, I didn't want to have to deal with the steps in that weather. Ricky was still peeing in the house sometimes of course, he was so young still. At the end of Oct., we decided to try a box with a grate on it for indoor use. He never used it! When I'd wipe up some pee from the floor, I'd throw the paper towels under the grate so that he'd get the idea that's what it was for. He didn't mind standing on the grate as he did it all the time - for fun! lol I'd say 'go pee' each time he was on it, but he never did. Treating him never helped so we finally gave up on that idea!

Then, we came up with a bin, holes punched in the bottom, filled with the same river rocks we had in the yard, for on the deck. This way, we could just open up the patio door when it was below zero or snowy and he could just zip in and out and still do his business outside. We also introduced bells hanging by the door at this time and that has worked very well. We got him to use the bin quite successfully but only for 3 weeks. Ricky then decided the bin was not for him! No amount of insistence on our part could make him go there anymore - and I'd been rinsing it out regularly so I don't think it was the scent throwing him off. Who knows?

Problem was, that at this point, at 4 mths. of age, he started peeing in the house often - up to 7 times/day !! :eek: I was very frustrated. My health isn't the best so going up and down the steps from the deck was quickly becoming a huge chore for me. One day, I decided we had to resort back to this method though as the peeing in the kitchen (where he's gated with us) was getting ridiculous. It worked pretty well! He started only having an accident maybe 2x/day. At this point, there was still no snow or ice out there since our winter arrived very late this year so that wasn't an issue. No worries about slipping.

Once the snow did finally come, we allowed him to eliminate right on the deck. We open the door, he scoots out, does his thing and either plays for a while or comes back in. We closed one section of the deck off so he's secure and can be let out without having us there. We watch from indoors and let him in when he needs to come back in. It is working for us and being vigilant helps us avoid little accidents.

IF, and it's a big 'if', we ever have a puppy again, I will likely use an x-pen and puppy pads. I just think it would be nice if Ricky had the option of going indoors so we aren't always up and down getting the door open. Ricky loves to go outside you see, so will ring the bells or scratch at the door many, many times in a day just to get some fresh air. lol It's good for him to do so, so we always let him out, but some days it can be very tiring. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marj, Thanks for the info. It seems like that whatever you do you have to stick with it. Or they get confused.......... Although I did note on some thread that someone uses piddle pads when they travel. That's what I was worried about.........

Tom did reply that his dogs use all the above and newspaper. But Tom is the dog whisperer; I don't think I could have that much success.

I guess my main question was if I have the dog trained to go outside; would he still use piddle pads if you were on vacation or someplace he couldn't go outside? Or should I train him on a piddle pad or litter box and then place it outside. So, he would know always to use the box but sometimes it would be outside.

I'm confused................. It seems like all the books say you cannot have it both ways. At least, I don't even have my puppy yet so I have time to figure it out.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
"I guess my main question was if I have the dog trained to go outside; would he still use piddle pads if you were on vacation or someplace he couldn't go outside? Or should I train him on a piddle pad or litter box and then place it outside. So, he would know always to use the box but sometimes it would be outside. "

*** You know, Rita, I think that sounds like it might work! If you train him to use a pad or litter box (and I wouldn't recommend actual cat-type litter because it will end up half out of the box and strewn around the house!), then I would think it is something he'll always have with him, the ability to use it no matter where you are. As to outside, any dog will most likely naturally go outdoors no matter how many times it's used a litter box ..... maybe ! ? lol

Since the Hav loves to shred, we had a devil of a time keeping newspaper down anywhere. I did try a pee pad 3 diff. times, but Ricky thought it was a toy and would pick it up and shake it half to death! :rolleyes:

I would like the option of a pee pad, but at the same time I know that most dogs dont' eliminate on one so I'm not the only one having to deal with "where will he pee when we travel?" ! He'll just pee outdoors wherever we may be! lol

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
For those interested in a litter/grate box for their pup/dog, check this product out. It might interest you.

http://www.wizdog.com/

Hubby and I created our own version of this but it still didn't work for Ricky. :(

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
Actually sometimes it's the opposite of whispering.

Any dog can be trained to potty multiple ways. I've never seen a dog that wouldn't go outside and wouldn't want a house dog that was only trained to outside. We've kept some that were and it's a bit of a pain to ALWAYS have to walk them.

Our dogs help train each other. Our first ones were trained to newspaper. When litter came out we started using that since the little puppies could keep their feet dry and not so dirty and stinky. Somewhere in there pads have been used too. The ones who use newspaper automatically help the others who were started on litter to understand what paper is for from the smells left.

We train to pads by putting them on the paper to start with. When we are off in a motel room with a male we put pads down and tape some vertically on the wall with blue masking tape (which doesn't harm wall surfaces). The males have to have a vertical surface to lift their leg on.

All our dogs will go outside.

Pam took Roxie off to a seminar once with a stop in another airport. She saw a guy who had laid a paper down as she was walking through the changeover airport and asked him if he was through with it. He said he was so she took it and laid it on the floor and told Roxie to "go potty". Roxie squatted and peed on the paper. Pam folded it up and put it in a trashcan. It's a lot more convienient that they don't ALWAYS have to go outside.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Yes, Tom, I completely agree! There are times when I'd just love to tell Ricky to 'go pee' somewhere acceptable in the house so we don't have to keep getting up to open the patio door. Once our fence is fixed (this coming spring), he'll be able to go down anywhere in the yard. We'll train him for one particular corner and hope that works.

Still... if we ever get another pup, I would like the option of using a pad/newspaper as I imagine it can be quite convenient!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom, You and Pam are just amazing. Thanks for the reassurance. Maybe you should write a book.....

Training just outside is just what I am afraid of. Especially when they get old and cannot hold their bladder. I wish I knew about pee pads and xpen a few months ago when I still had my old, old dog. I wouldn't have came home to a mess which just upset everyone, her and myself.

So, I guess if I train him to go outside and put a piddle pad in the xpen when I am not home it will be OK. Plus, then we can use the pads when we go places. Which is great because some people won't let you walk on their grass never mind having a dog go pee on it. Plus, when you travel it is more convenient. Especially at rest stops, I don't like letting my dog pee and poop where people let their kids run.......(even though you do clean it up)

A funny doggie poop story. Me and my older soon were riding our bikes on the bike trail. Of course, I ran into a nice lump of doggy poop so I scrapped it off my tires with a leaf. I kept saying to my son, "Yuck does it still stink." Got home and I could still smell it. Sitting on the couch I ran my fingers threw my hair and what did I find. UGH> You got it. Stinky doggie poop. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I must have washed my hair ten times that day. My husband says it never shined as much as it did on that day. Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just so glad I discovered it before I went to the store or bank. Then people would really be talking about me.

Thanks for the confidence. I think I can do this.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
"I ran my fingers threw my hair and what did I find. UGH> You got it. Stinky doggie poop. I must have washed my hair ten times that day"

EEEEWWWWWWWWW !!! Oh you poor thing!!!!

LMBO !!

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Why are there 337 members but only 11 replies to the poll?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Beverly. I guess people did not respond fast enough. When you do a poll it asks you for a closing date. I actually wanted it a little longer but it took that date before I could change it. Ugh. That explains it- now it is locked and people cannot answer.

I will have to check with Melissa, the forum godess, if it can be reopened. Otherwise, I guess it has to be done again.............

·
Registered
2 Posts
What to read first?

Hi! I registered here just this week.

Please forgive me for being so lazy, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone could point me to any particularly important threads that I should check out first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks! Mike

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Hi! I registered here just this week.

Please forgive me for being so lazy, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone could point me to any particularly important threads that I should check out first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks! Mike
Hello Mike,

Welcome! Here is one thread you can check out: http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=312

You can also make a formal introduction here so we can get to know you and your "Hav" story a little more. :) Either add on to this thread or create a new one if you like.
http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=5&highlight=Introduction

Chat again soon......

marj :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
What to read first?

Hi! I just joined at this site this week.

Sorry for being lazy, but I was hoping anyone could point me to any especially good posts that I should have a read of first, so I can get involved here?

Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Michael. Welcome aboard. Marj is right try that section first. Introduce yourself. Tell us if you have a puppy or you are looking for one. Then we can lead you in the right direction.

Also, try Melissa's movies to tell you how to move around this forum.http://www.havaneseforum.com/showthread.php?t=71

Look forward to reading your intro.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Well I am one of those folks who are confusing their dogs as well . When I first got Cosmo I had him pee pee pad trained . He seemed to get it fairly easily . Of course we had him contained in the kitchen .. He did not seem to like to go outside that much that was his playarea .. The vet said take him to the grass and he will go . The grass will stimulate him .. Nope .. Not at 9weeks ..
Now I am trying to train him to go outside as he is a big boy now - 7 months .
He is crated at night and he sleeps with me - if he has to go potty he whines and he wakes me up .Most of the time he sleeps through the night fine .In the morning early he goes on the pee pee pads or he may go outside on the grass . He is just so easily distracted when he is outdoors sometimes it is a clearer message - potty on the pads .
Of course house guests are not too keen when they find out what the pads are for ..
I walk him twice a day morning and late afternoon , Now sometimes he will just urinate and not do any serious business ... He seem to like to do that inside .. I have just kept at it and suggest he goes potty . He is getting better and he is doing both numbers . it is a work in progress ..

AS I said there are so many distractions ...
I still have pee pee pads down but only in two areas near doors ..He still uses them as well early morning or sometimes he has a quickie if I am not fast enough getting him out at noontime or just before bed ..
It is very much a work in progress .
I learned a lot from my other Havanese and I know that they are not perfect but I agree with Tom . It helps when they have a buddy..
That is why I would like another dog but not a puppy .. I do not think we are up for that again..
I do want to say my German shorthair was much easier he was totally trained at 12 weeks - no pee pee pads nothing . He just went to the door to let me know and then did it no problem ..
Every dog is different ..
I am going to use the tether and see if we get the messages clearer ..

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Good luck with Cosmo! It IS a work in progress. Hang in there! I was very discouraged for a long time with Ricky peeing in the house no matter what we did. Luckily, he was mostly contained in the kitchen/dining area where we are most of the time. He'd ring the bells sometimes, he'd sometimes scratch at the door, other times he'd bark...... and sometimes he'd do nothing at all ! How were we supp'd to know? lol

I am very proud of him and happy these days though as it's been 10 days since his last in-house pee!! Woooooohoooooo!!!!! It's fantastic! I've been leaving one of the gates off and placing it elsewhere so it expands his space here and we're all loving it. He can run around much more and loves going up and down stairs (we're in a 4-level split, so lots of steps!).

When we want to go to the family room dnstrs. to watch t.v., we now no longer have to barricade him into the room as much - we do prefer to however because it's just easier knowing he's in there with us. He'll let us know he has to go by barking at the barricade so it's up to one of us to go upstairs with him and out onto the deck. It's been great!

Ricky is 6.5 months now so it's taken a while and I know he might not likely be completely housetrained just yet, but it sure is more fun not having to watch his every single step! :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Marj, Thanks for that post. I have been a little frustrated with Logan & his potty training but it sounds like Logan might be on track after all. My girls trained very early and although we are at about 85% of the time - outside(and only cause we take him, not cause he asks) it is frustrating to come into the kitchen & find a pee on the floor when you just took him out 20 minutes ago. He is only 13 weeks old so maybe I am expecting too much. He does go into the kitchen to the sliding door, where we take him to go out, so I guess he is at least getting the "path to take" - now we just have to get him to hold it!! Sometimes when you go thru these frustrating times with potty training, it is so nice to have people to comiserate with !!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts