Havanese Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my havanese is 5 months old 12 pounds. Someone said that double their weight at six months. At this rate Scooter will be 24 or 25 pounds. Does that sound right? He is not heavy at all but he has long legs. He is very active and healthy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay my havanese is 5 months old 12 pounds. Someone said that double their weight at six months. At this rate Scooter will be 24 or 25 pounds. Does that sound right? He is not heavy at all but he has long legs. He is very active and healthy.
My Mack is a big boy. He's a svelte 25lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oh my. I guess I didn’t realize havanese could get that big. We thought Scooter would be about 12 to 14 pounds.
As far as I know, there is no breed standard in terms of weight. I know of a couple other big havanese as well. Apart from not being able to fly with him,I love having a 'big' dog.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,450 Posts
As far as I know, there is no breed standard in terms of weight. I know of a couple other big havanese as well. Apart from not being able to fly with him,I love having a 'big' dog.
You are correct, their is no breed standard with regards to weight. There is a breed standard as far as size, available on the HCA site.

Our RICKY is 15+ pounds and toward the upper limit of breed standard size. He can and does fly, but it is tight to fit him under the seat in front of me in his Sherpa aircraft approved carrier. If he were any bigger, he would be on the 'in cabin' no fly list.

·
Metrowest, MA
28,427 Posts
There is no weight requirement in the standard. There IS a height limit, however, and it is hard to imagine a correctly conformed 25 lb Havanese that is proper weight for his size and is 25 lbs. That said, there ARE Havanese that are purebred... even WELL bred, and simply go over standard. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that from the perspective of a pet. They just cannot be shown and most breeders would not use them in their breeding program. But that doesn’t mean they aren’t WONDERFUL pets, and fantastic representative of the breed in every other way!

I happen to have someone on my waiting list who recently lost her elderly Havanese who was in that size range, and she was HOPING to find another big one. I had to tell her that while the pop up “by accident” from time to time, they are really needles in a hay stack! I have one puppy in my litter that is quite a bit bigger than the others. While that does NOT mean a lot about his adult size, I’m kind of HOPING he stays big for her! We’ll see! He won’t be even CLOSE to 25 lbs though!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My guy is 16.4lbs. He had reached 17.2lbs so decided to put him on a diet. There is a recent study that found normal weight small breed dogs live 2 years longer than overweight. I'll see if I can find a link to the paper. I'm hoping to keep my pupper just under ideal body condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here are a couple of interesting papers on canine weight and health/ longevity:

Diet restriction and ageing in the dog: major observations over two decades
from the abstract, "The same diet was fed to all dogs; only the quantity differed. Major lifetime observations included 1.8 years longer median lifespan among diet-restricted dogs, with delayed onset of late life diseases, especially osteoarthritis. Long-term DR did not negatively affect skeletal maturation, structure or metabolism. "

Association between life span and body condition in neutered client-owned dogs

·
Metrowest, MA
28,427 Posts
My guy is 16.4lbs. He had reached 17.2lbs so decided to put him on a diet. There is a recent study that found normal weight small breed dogs live 2 years longer than overweight. I'll see if I can find a link to the paper. I'm hoping to keep my pupper just under ideal body condition.
This is absolutely true! However, my guy is very slim at 17 1/2 lbs. He's just a big boy. he is 11.5", right at the top of the standard. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Benny is 20 lbs. and quite long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts