Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
(and Taylor Too! )
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about them online and it seems puppies, dogs and owners alike LOVE them. Any advice as to what you're havs like in them besides peanut butter and kibble?

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
cream cheese, any kind of cheese actually. Also vegetables-Dusty loves sweet potato.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kodi and Shelby love freeze dried beef liver treats in their Kongs. They just love them. They don't like cheese or peanut butter, so the beef liver works really well for them. And if you pack it in tightly, it keeps them busy for a little while :)

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
we have never had a kong here.......

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I always did Peanut Butter & their kibble, until the went on special diets - so now I just use their kibble mixed with their special wet food & freeze it. I also stuff the steralized (cause thats all they can have) with their food & freeze them too. It takes them forever to work on them - good for when we are gone for a while
laurie

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Low Fat Cream cheese...for the smaller one...only when we have to leave the house - Ollie jumps in his crate turns around and waits for the door to shut!!

For the bigger one - liver treats - will work on it for hours!!!

Olliesmom

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Well it's me again asking probably a dumb question! Please explain exactly what a Kong is?? thanks.....V

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
It's a brand of a chew toy. They have a lot of different shapes and sizes. Many of them come with a hole where you can add a treat or a substance that the dog tries to remove to keep them busy. If you go to Petsmart.com and type "Kong" into the search box, you'll see a wide selection.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There is a kong that looks like a flying saucer - it used to be Tulip's favorite toy . We would call it the red thing from outer space . She became so obsessed with it we had to throw it in the trash ..

·
(and Taylor Too! )
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha..that's awesome. It's like that petsmart commercial with the furry doll that the dog carried around and his mom finally had to replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I went through that wth Asta's muffin dog - his special friend . They stopped making the stuffed dogs and he only wanted muffin brand . I had a back up but they both got looking rather ratty and disheveled .
I would wash her and he would sit by the dryer waiting for her to come out !!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks for the website link! I love the recipes. I never thought about freezing stuff in them but will definitely give it a try for a summer treat.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Our small, puppy Kong was never a hit with Ricky. He seems to like plush squeaky toys the most. I used to put peanut butter, tried cream cheese and even bits of dry treats, but he would let it sit there. I will try freezing stuff in it though. Thanks for that tip, Laurie!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
None of mine have every liked the 'Kongs'. Even with their favorite food inside of them. But then, they have never been big on rubber type toys of any kind. Many dogs do love them though.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I've never had a Hav that would play with the Kong brand hard rubber toys either - from the puppy chew toys, to the teethers, to the kind that you stuff with food. They just aren't interested.

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Jester loves the red kong ball~ With nothing in it! He is a nut, he picks it up and throws it around. A couple of times I have put milkbone buscuits in it, but he plays with it just plain.
I am not big on the peanut butter/cheese thing. Gives my dogs the runs!
We stick to kibble with an occasional milk bone or turkey jerky.

·
Jeanne
2,622 Posts
You can sure tell Maddie is one of yours, Kimberly! She could care less about the Kong. I put a treat in it, she got it out in 5 seconds, then has never looked at the Kong again. Now give her the giggling carrot toy, and she's in heaven! :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts