Havanese Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Princess vomits almost every time I take her in the car.

I know from reading that it's probably her nerves.. most of the time she goes in the car it's to go to the groomer, or the vet.

I'm starting to take her with us to pick the kids up, so it's a quick short trip in the car.. but wasn't sure if this was a good idea.

How do I help get her over this? We would like to be able to take her with us when we travel.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Good question . I am having the same problem . Cosmo was doing well And then he got sick at Thanksgiving . He had to be hospitalized . Now he associates rides in the car with Vets and needles /
I have tried short trips and sometimes he does OK and then he has a slip .
I have a friend and she said he dog was sick as puupy and she just kept exposing him for short rides then longer . By the time I knew Zorro he loved the car .
I do think it makes a difference if the dog can see out and they are not crated .
Cosmo does oK in the golf cart . For now I just keep working on it awith short trip the fun - doggie park and hope it will eventual erase the bad memories .

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Lily had the same problem and she is on valium for longer rides. She is very anxious for rides to the vet & groomer but luckily it is only 10-15 minutes away and she doesnt throw up, but is crying & antsy. I noticed when I do NOT put on the radio and do NOT talk to her at all, she does better. But Lexi just sits there and hides her head, but can also throw up. Logan came home on New Years day & threw up 3x on the ride home and again the next day when I took him out. I have been trying to take Logan to pick up my son at school each evening & he drools A LOT!!! but has not thrown up. All I read says to take them on small trips to get them used to it. I will continue to do this with Logan in hopes that one of my pups does not need to be drugged when we go on vacation!!

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
All three of my dogs love riding in the car. The second I open the closet door and grab my jacket and keys they are running downstairs toward the door. The only thing I can think of is to try and make riding in the car a very positive experience. My dogs associate riding in the car with dropping off/picking up kids, going to the park, going to the pet store, going to the beach, etc. They would much rather wait for me in the car while I grocery shop than stay at home. Bugsy love to sit or rather stand on my lap and look out the window or even better (or worse) stand on my lap with his front paws on my steering wheel. He just loves all the oohs and ahhhs from the nearby cars. lol

Best,

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OK. You guys are going to be sick of me and tell me to shut up because I don't even have my Havanese yet!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

But I have to agree with Paige. "The Havanese" book I am reading mentioned that some dogs get car sick. You have to desensitize them to it. Keep taking them for short rides to get used to it. Also, make sure they don't eat at least an hour before.

Happy travels!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
A person , on a different group, was having the same terrible car sick problems. What she is tring is to take her coffee , morning paper and her dog an just sit in the car. With the dog in his seat belt. Increasing the time every day. I don't know if it is working but it might be worth a try.

Debbie

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

I read your post on the Yahoogroup Paige (finally joined! LOL) and was wondering how that was working out for you.

I found someone in this area (well, sort of) that breeds and shows Havanese, and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with her. She was great, and gave me tons of info.
She suggested that I travel with Princess in a airline type (plastic) travel crate, that it helps immensley.. and to take her everywhere with me.

She even suggested I take her in stores with me. I'm going to try it, but wonder how many I'll get kicked out of. lol

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Jodi,

I take Bugsy (as well as my other dogs) everywhere with me. He always goes to the stores with me, although technically you are not allowed to bring pets in, and I have never been kicked out yet. I take him to Safeway, Trader Joes and other food stores without any trouble. He actually has a following and one of the cashiers tells me that I am not allowed in the store without Bugsy. I am sure Princess will grow to like it.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Julia~ Do you take him in a tote? Or do you carry him, or let him walk on a leash?

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Jodi,

Bugsy never gets "carried" in a tote or any kind of bag or carrier, as he hates it. He thinks he is a big dog and can walk on his own. I have him on a leash, but when we get into the store I just put him in a cart where the baby sits (I bring a small receiving blanket in my bag) and he just rides in it, never moves either. He loves it and all the attention he gets from everyone. I really should take a picture.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Julia, she is not a good leash walker yet. Hopefully soon though, soccer is going to start soon, and I don't want to carry the toddler and the dog. lol

Lynn, a tote type carrier? Or the ones that look like baby carrier?

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Jodi, I am in the same boat as you and many others here are. Ricky was great in the car for his first few weeks, but when I decided to bring him along for a longer drive to pick up my Mom, he threw up and hasn't stopped with the drooling and/or throwing up since. :( He's been like this for almost 3 mths. now.

I have been told to take him on very short trips and it seems that is the advice everyone gets/gives. I am not physically able to get out each day, but it would be best to take him on a 5 min. drive each day and make it a fun thing to do. I have treated him just as we got in the van, but he ended up spitting it out and drooling. It's not the motion, it's his nerves so we need to work on that.

I've tried having him in a plastic carrier but that seemed worse (not to mention very hard to clean up afterwards since he can't escape from whatever he spits up). We also had him in his wire crate a couple of times going to places where we wanted him to have a place to veg./sleep while visiting. He still drooled a lot, but never threw up in there - yet! The other thing we use, most of the time, is a booster car seat made for small dogs that allows him to look out the window and yet still be securely fastened. I don't know if it's worse to look out the window or not, but it is convenient and he doesn't feel all closed in at least.

It's going to take time, but like you, I also want Ricky to follow us to soccer games, day trips, visits, shopping, etc... One of the things that had me very interested in the Havanese when I was doing my research, was that they travel well! :rolleyes:

I do take Ricky with me when we get his and the cats' food at a nearby shop. I can bring him in, where he meets the owner's dog, and he usually gets a treat and lots of attention. Of course we don't go there every week so I still have to find somewhere else that is fun for him! Winter doesnt' help.... can't wait 'til spring!!

Good luck, Jodi! Take it slowly, even if it just means sitting in the car for a few minutes and not going anywhere. Praise, treat, reward... whatever it takes. Oh - and I also bought some Gravol but haven't used it yet. They say it helps.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was wondering where you had gotten off to Marj, haven't seen you post in a few days.

I have found that Princess does great in the car, IF I take her for a walk first (she gets soo tired she sleeps) and put her in her Sherpa Bag (Carry on type duffel bag) and it's night time.

If it's day time, she drools a ton, but if she's had her walk, and some Rescue Remedy, she does ok.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
There is a light to the end of this tunnel Marj - keep at it. From day one I have tried to get Oreo really tired out and he just sleeps. I have not yet attempted to just take him for a drive with out one. I find it also relaxes me and I really enjoy my drives. Just like you, my son plays soccer and I do plan on taking him with us to the games. I don't plan on leaving him home, so we are really working with him to get him used to the car. We are all here for you, whenever you need a listening ear - well, reading eye actually - we are all in the same boat doing the best we can for our little havs. I'm rooting for ya!! :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Please keep the faith. It will happen. My sister-in-law's 2 year old got car sick a few times. Now, he makes the 5.5 hour ride to come and visit with the rest of the family with no problem.

We are already looking for a different beach house for next year that the Hav cousins can come too. So, they really will have to get used to traveling. Sandbridge Beach, VA will never be the same.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Thanks ladies! Of course it would help making sure Ricky gets a good walk/play in beforehand - hadn't even thought of that!! If we walk out the front door and I have my keys in my hand, he knows what it means. He digs in all four paws, flattens himself out and won't budge. Just hearing the van's motor running has him drooling! sigh...... But yes, I will most definitely have to try to get him exercised before a car trip and see if that helps.

For now, I can't do much... can't walk due to sciatica pain that is through the roof... that is why I wasn't on much lately.
I can barely walk, so I drive only if absolutely necessary! It's a chronic problem, but hopefully things will start working again soon. :)

I have heard about Rescue Remedy working for some dogs.
Oh how I hope Ricky does so much better as we'd also love to take him on a car trip this summer. We still aren't sure, but we might decide to go to Maine for a few days and enjoy the beach with Ricky. It would be great if he travels well by then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts